MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Juergen Witte

Firefly to Tioman/Redang/etc. ???

I can remember i heard/read somewhere "some time ago" that FY was considering to serve the "holiday islands".

Is that true - and if so - what do you think is the impact on Berjaya Air ???

(considering they will switch to the ATR soon)

In my opinion Berjaya would have to lower their fares significantly if FY enters their "home market".

I know that J8´s ops are mainly to feed their resorts but is it a possibility they look for additional destinations ???

Edited by Juergen Witte

It's impossible for FY to serve TOD with the current runway length. Too short to accommodate an ATR to land there.

As for the other airport, I read from wikipedia (how true is this?) that FY will start to serve RDN soon (Summer schedule).

J8 needs some competition...been monopolizing those routes for too long now, to the detriment of consumers.

It's impossible for FY to serve TOD with the current runway length. Too short to accommodate an ATR to land there.

I was already wondering about that !

But Berjaya will replace all Dash-7 with new ATR 72-500.

So, this will put them in the same situation as Firefly (aircraft performance wise)

I suspect that due to the relatively short distance (SZB-TOD) the ATR´s will be way below MTOW and they may even restrict payload to make it doable (maybe restricted to max. 50 passengers ??? )

At Tioman the runway length is 992m .

A comparable situation is at Caticlan (MPH) in the Philippines where the runway is even shorter (810m) ...

Cebu Pacific operates their ATR 72-500 into MPH (albeit with payload restriction)

So, i would expect a lesser payload restriction at TOD in particular as the distance flown requires even less fuel to be carried compared to MNL-MPH !

Should FY flew to the J8 destinations (Tioman,Redang,Pangkor),it will be a end for J8 dominance at those areas.

BTW,when 58 is expecting to receive their ATRs,this year am i right?

Edited by Tamizi Hj Tamby

My wife and I have been dreaming about visiting Redang island. The only problem is the air fare by Berjaya Air. The last time i checked was around RM500+ per pax return.