Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

Fear of Flying

Are you afraid of flying?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Are you afraid of flying?

• Yes
    • No

Of course I fear something will go wrong with my aircraft all the time, especially the C172 - old aircraft, radio cuts off when hot, spark plug fouls up, etc., etc. but then who can afford a brand new aircraft? So I make it a habit to look around for possible landing sites every now and then (although crossing over the Malaysian jungle makes it impossible to find any landing site), don't push the engine too hard, don't idle too long, practice forced landings regularly, watch the temperature and pressure frequently and above everything else be alert to changes in the engine sound. Other than that be calm and enjoy the scenery and the flight.

I was in a BA B742 once in Bahrain when engine #2 had a big bang during the takeoff run after V1. The guy on the window seat told me he saw a long flame shooting out of the engine tailpipe and then nothing. I could only hear a loud thump from my aisle seat. We circled for ages (fuel dumping, I guess) before landing back at Bahrain. The announcement that we were returning to Bahrain was made about 20 minutes before we landed. There was no panic (I think most of the pax were not even aware of what happened). The landing was well executed and I saw a blackened rear end of the engine when I disembarked. We continued our flight to SIN on SQ instead.

Oh by the way, the Bukit Nanas "cable car" was only a chair lift if I remember correctly. I used to walk over during lunch from my office and take the ride. The scary part was when you had to wait in front of the chair as it comes from behind you and scooped you up. The chair barely got my whole bum on it when it lifted off. I had to shift my ass quickly before it slipped off from the chair. I still wonder how the kids managed that. I guess skiers use it all the time.

Sign in to follow this