I am guessing this is a known fact to many of you, but I thought I'd share it anyway.
I had a great time spotting in January so I thought I'd do it again. Just returned from Phuket and it was different this time.
1. Aircraft land on runway 09 (west to east) Dec-Apr (www.phuket.com) when the north east wind blows. Landing aircraft are very low in direct sunlight.
2. The sun is behind you if you are perched on the southern side.
==> great pics
1. Planes take off from runway 27 (east to west). The planes are pretty high by the time they reach the beachside. You will get belly shots, unless you stand much further away with a longer lens.
2. Now, the sun is now infront of you if you are spotting from the southern end. So...I guess you will need to move to the nothern end.
3. The smoking deck in HKT departure is pretty useless at this time too, backlit pics.
4. The sun also runs parallel almost in line with the runway, making for more backlit issues and heat haze.
Use "sunearthtools" website to check the position of the sun any time of the year to plan your trips.
Hopefully you find this info useful.
Just my personal experience, so if my facts are wrong, I do apologize.
Just to clarify...my 1st trip was in Jan Runway 09, had a great time.
2nd trip in May 2018, runway 27, not so great.