MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MH's Routes Changes in January 2008

This is just to reconfirm on major changes in MH's routes, which will take effect this month.

5 January (today) - The last MH flight to Nagoya (NGO) in Japan. No more Nagoya after tomorrow.

7 January - The first MH flight to Lahore (LHE) in Pakistan, which will be tagged along with Karachi (KHI).

8 January - The first MH flight to Istanbul (IST) via Dubai (DXB). No more KUL-IST non stop.

22 January - The last MH flight to Zurich. No more Kloten and MH 9/10 afterwards.

MH will only serve 2 Japanese gateways (NRT and KIX) after tomorrow when NGO is gone. FUK was earlier terminated in 2006. SQ already planned 2 daily flights to ZRH. Next in the line to be chopped is ARN and FRA (?). Quite a sad development, isn't it?

Does anyone knows whether MH has 5th freedom right or not for the DXB-IST-DXB sector?

MH will only serve 2 Japanese gateways (NRT and KIX) after tomorrow when NGO is gone. FUK was earlier terminated in 2006. SQ already planned 2 daily flights to ZRH. Next in the line to be chopped is ARN and FRA (?). Quite a sad development, isn't it?

yeah..sad indeed.. :(

Singapore's Zurich services work partly because of the codeshare it has with LOT. The feed it also has and the fact it started or has remained daily since it started. A service under 3x weekly doesn't work!! But I think MAS's problem with their Zurich service not working was because of feed and frequency. Just my two cents.

Alex.

Not ARN-EWR, I hv to be on that flight this summer!

They have an obligation to rebook you onto another carrier if they cancel that flight. Maybe you can request to go KUL-SIN-EWR on SQ. ;)

They have an obligation to rebook you onto another carrier if they cancel that flight. Maybe you can request to go KUL-SIN-EWR on SQ. ;)

We actually haven't book any of summer flights, but my dad planned to hv vacation in Sweden before heading back to US. MAS B777 is definitely the first choice, not to mention the low fare compare to other EU airlines... :(

8 January - The first MH flight to Istanbul (IST) via Dubai (DXB). No more KUL-IST non stop.

So, DXB frequency increase?

Edited by Seth K

No. Still 5 weekly but all will be non stop.

Earlier:

KUL-DXB-BEY 3 weekly A332

KUL-KHI-DXB 2 weekly A333

Now:

KUL-DXB-IST 2 weekly A332

Is MH downsizing?

Hmmm... maybe thats a right move! Even SQ SIN-IST flight is routed via DXB. I used SQ on SIN-IST in Dec 06, SIN-DXB was full, DXB-IST was very empty.

MH e-timetable doesn't include KUL-IST-KUL changes yet. This change is coverage only KUL-IST via DXB? so what will be happen on return flights IST-KUL?

Or, MH flies to IST twice in a week, so change all flights ot one of them?

actually , we were choosing MH with sympathy about Malaysia and nonstop flights. If route figure would be change, so many options becomes over passangers. Example, Emirates, Gulf air, Singapore via DXB or DOH or Bahrain with prices options.

actually , we were choosing MH with sympathy about Malaysia and nonstop flights.

The country, or the airline? :D

Hakan, the flight routing will be KUL-DXB-IST-DXB-KUL.

The complete schedule for Istanbul:

MH 30

Equipment A332

Starting 8 January 2008

Frequency 2 weekly (every Tuesday and Friday) via DXB

Departs KUL at 2340

Arrives DXB at 0310 (1 day later)

Departs DXB at 0425 (1 day later)

Arrives IST at 0715 (1 day later)

MH 31

Equipment A332

Starting 9 January 2008

Frequency 2 weekly (every Wednesday and Saturday) via DXB

Departs IST at 1130

Arrives DXB at 1740

Departs DXB at 1855

Arrives KUL at 0605 (1 day later)

No. Still 5 weekly but all will be non stop.

Earlier:

KUL-KHI-DXB 2 weekly A333

Now:

KUL-DXB-IST 2 weekly A332

O, o. Apparently there is an increase in frequency to DXB. There will be 7 weekly flights to DXB albeit not daily.

MH 160/161 KUL-KHI-DXB 2 weekly A333

MH 30/31 KUL-DXB-IST 2 weekly A332

MH 156/157 KUL-DXB-BEY 3 weekly A332

There will be flights to DXB on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. 2 daily flights to DXB on Thursday and Saturday respectively.

I seriously question MH ongoing strategy in Europe:

1. MH could barely support a double daily to LHR while all other competing airlines are doing triple or more daily.

2. All this talk about suspending FRA. It's pathetic that MH could not even make this high-yield, business destination work. The same goes to ZRH, another key European financial capital.

3. To me, codesharing with Alitalia is a joke. Fair enough MH wants to be in AF/Skyteam good books but why split and complicates European connecting flights via multiple gateways when they could all be done via AMS which gets twice daily services? FCO is largely a leisure-based destination, there just aren't enough market to warrant even a daily service.

Before we know it MH will turn into another Garuda. I for one would be happy to fly on SQ or EK to get to Europe.

Azizul, thanks for detailed info, but are you sure time about final leg from DXB to KUL?

well I don't know what can I say. Until today we hae had complain about KUL-IST flight too early, at least we thought like that. We were waking up around 0500am and after checkout process and they were opening breakfast saloon for us :) at 0530am until taxi comes :)

But I was liked it becouse I could see KLIA in daylight when we arrived or departs.

@Rozhan, even we are not fully satisfy MH service, we have sympathy for both of them, contry and airline :)

Just hope that MH will not be chopping the 5x weekly KUL-AKL return.

If they do want to chop it, at least revert back to the KUL-BNE-AKL as they have done in the 1990s.

mh is full of rubbish. i agree - lhr, fra and zrh are all high yield routes that remain very lucrative for other airlines.

It's hard to make money if you fly to a destination for 2 times a week only.........like Hakan said, EK, GF, AU, SQ etc are better with service and flight option. The problem with MH is frequency! The CEO is running the airline like an oil company, where there are demand all the time, well, there are many options in flying..

Edited by Seth K

The whole world is doing business in DXB and yet MH is failing to provide daily service between DXB and KUL.

MH foregoes FRA for FCO because MH Italian GSA belongs to a powerful family.

Serving only major hubs in Europe may make sense if MH have extensive code shares from those hubs and from KUL.

MH routes planning, business model or marketing strategy is unlike other airlines and unconventional, find it hard to comprehend.

:drinks:

Im so sad to hear MAS will stop thier KUL-ZRH route.. :( ..Anyway..i've just been confirmed by MAS that the last flight departing to Zurich will be on the 19th.Jan.08 ..

Edited by Arieff

Yes all these routes are profitable indeed but in the absence of a strong Alliance i.e. Star or OneWorld or Skyteam Alliances MAS would find it difficult to improve connectivity and feed from other

carriers. Meanwhile, they have to rely on codeshare which is part of their hub and spoke strategy. I bet the management knows what they are doing!

So give MAS a break!

O, o. Apparently there is an increase in frequency to DXB. There will be 7 weekly flights to DXB albeit not daily.

MH 160/161 KUL-KHI-DXB 2 weekly A333

MH 30/31 KUL-DXB-IST 2 weekly A332

MH 156/157 KUL-DXB-BEY 3 weekly A332

There will be flights to DXB on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. 2 daily flights to DXB on Thursday and Saturday respectively.

Don't think so. You contradicted your original post. Remember KHI-DXB will no longer be offered once LHE come on line. Hence, DXB will be just 5x weekly, on very lousy equipment, more akin to a 3-star airline.

to be honest, i doubt that the management know what their doing. as KK lee said above, they are NOT following other airlines strategies.

If they were making loads of money like EK, fine. Go your own way. But we're not. We're only slightly bigger than Garuda or PAL. So it would be wise to adopt strategies or at least SOME common sense from airlines like SQ or EK who are pioneering the world of aviation.

As usual, the kataks under their tempurung are fighting tooth and nail with AK while other majors (and regional hubs) are stealing our premium pax (what little we have).

it reminds me of Lat's cartoon many years ago which showed the Argentinian armed forces plan of attacking Britain VIA the Panama canal while the whole of Britain's navy was concentrating on attacking via the South Atlantic.

its more hilarious when you actually see it rather than me explain it! sorry! hahaha

GROWTH is NOT about axing flights to MAJOR FINANCIAL centres like ZRH and FRA; or operate shitty aircraft to important regional destinations like DXB; OR FLYING TO LAHORE! doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

The management keeps pulling stunts like this and MH will lose its status as a premium carrier. I can't help but think that IJ's comments that they just want to be a leisure carrier has brought MH down from its big league perch.

Edited by Izanee

Wait a minute - are they really axing or planning to axe FRA? I think I must have missed that bit of news. :blink:

If true, I can only scratch my head in bewilderment.

Edited by Keith T

Don't forget that MH has just launched Macau and Yogyakarta. a.k.a. AK's territory. Hmm maybe Bandung is next.

Didn't MH strategy is to let AK serve wherever that MH could not make it work? and now this?!

It's decisions like this that makes me loose faith in MH strategy, just when i thought that they *finally* know what they're doing.

Oh no..what's happening to my favourite airline (maybe not for long now..) ? :o

I can only scratch my head in bewilderment.

I think we're all scratching our heads now..