Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.
Reach out to us on our Facebook Page for faster approvals

Photo

30th Anniversary of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH653

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Ong

Andrew Ong

JV Boys' Tennis

• Platinum Member
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 08:18 AM

On December 4, 1977, Malaysia Airlines Flight MH653 was on a scheduled flight from Penang Bayan Lepas International Airport to Kuala Lumpur Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah "Subang" Airport. The pliot said that an unruly passneger was aboard help.gif and scheduled an emergemcy landing at Singapore, but the plane never made it to Singapore Changi International Airport . The plane was hijacked and crashed at Kampung Ladang, Johor Bharu, Malaysia sad.gif . Here is the accident proflie:

Aircraft type: Boeing 737-2H6(Adv)
Crash site: Kampung Ladang, Johor Bharu, Malaysia
Registration number: 9M-MBD
Accident Date: December 4, 1977
Passengers: 93
Crew: 7
Fatalities: 100
Survivors: 0
Cause: Hijacking

**Note that this is the very first aircraft that the Malaysian Airline System (MAS-Malaysia Airlines) has ever lost.

Precrash photo:

IPB Image

**Courtesy of www.aviation-safety.net

Aftermath:

IPB Image

External Links:

http://en.wikipedia....ines_Flight_653

All I am doeing right now is that the 30th anniversary of MH653 is coming on December 7, 2007.

To visit the MH653 memorial site, go to Kampung Ladang, Johor Bharu.

The memorial's name (entrance) is:

Memperingati Mereka Yang Terkorban Dalam Nahas Kapalterbang Di Tanjong Kupang Johor Pada 4HB DIS 1977

Link:

http://en.wikipedia....ge:IMG_0089.JPG

#2 Azuddin

Azuddin

Fly Delta

• Platinum Member
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:16 AM

that is one heck of tragedy. i heard that theres one cuban ambassador on board.

something confuse me, is the 732 in old livery or already in new livery that time? by the picture of the wreckage, it looks more like new livery.

#3 H Azmal

H Azmal
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:55 AM

Actually that 'wreckage' is not of 9M-MBD. That was OY-KAA, an Airbus A300 MAS leased from SAS, which crashed short of the runway in Subang in bad weather on 18th December 1983 while coming in to SZB from SIN.

This 4th December will only be its 29th anniversary, FYI. MH 653 would have landed in Paya Lebar then, not Changi, as the latter was not to be opened until 1981.

The memorial site is in Johor Bahru, BTW, not Kg Ladang in Tg Kupang.

Edited by H Azmal, 25 September 2006 - 09:59 AM.

#4 S V Choong

S V Choong
  • Platinum Member
  • 7,026 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 06:42 PM

Actually that 'wreckage' is not of 9M-MBD. That was OY-KAA, an Airbus A300 MAS leased from SAS, which crashed short of the runway in Subang in bad weather on 18th December 1983 while coming in to SZB from SIN.

That solved my mystery about why the cheatline is below the windows. On the 737s, the cheatlines are amongst the windows, whereas it is below the windows on MAS' Airbus A300B4-200.

#5 H Azmal

H Azmal
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 11:59 PM

Probably not for everybody, but interesting nonetheless - note how the 'story' varies a bit from some which we have read on this forum:

Abstract: The air crash at Tanjung Kupang, Johor on the 4th December 1977 was the first air accident for the Malaysia Airlines
(MAS) and the worst for Malaysia. A Boeing 737-200 with 100 passengers and crews was hijacked before it crashed. Evidences
from the accident pointed to an interference of hijackers to the aircraft flight operation. Simulating the accident helped
investigators to understand the probable cause of the accident. The Trajectory Reconstruction Method was used to obtain
necessary data for the accident simulation. Result from the simulation indicated that the ill-fated aircraft experienced three steeppitch-down pitch-up movements before it stalled and crashed.
Keyword: Air accident simulation, Trajectory Reconstruction Method.

PDF Download

#6 Azreen

Azreen
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

My late father was supposed to be on that flite. He had missed the flite because he had stopped to pray at a nearby mosque. By the time he arrived at the airport, the flite was near closing but because there were VIPs and their gang on board, he was bumped out on the next flite. I still remember how we waited in agony at home. I guess communication was not easy those days. And my brother was born on 31 Dec 1977 thereafter. This incident left an everlasting mark on my mum and i (since I was the only child at that point).

#7 Jerry Ang

Jerry Ang
  • Gold Member
  • 921 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 01:46 PM

Azreen, i suppose ur dad was really shock to believe what had happened at that moment. I'm glad he did not take that flight. RIP to those in memorial.

Anyway, i was juz wondering if there would be an episode of Air Crash Investigation for this crash. Would be interesting to watch...

That way, they can simulate everything for the reconstruction of the incident.

#8 Tamizi Hj Tamby

Tamizi Hj Tamby
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 02:17 PM

Azreen,what an touching story.Thank god your late father didn't get onboard that fateful flight.

Thanks for sharing the story with us.

#9 Azreen

Azreen
  • Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

It's my pleasure to share my memoirs. It's the closest air crash related disaster story I've experienced. It'll be good if they can do an Air Crash Investigation.

#10 Tamizi Hj Tamby

Tamizi Hj Tamby
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

That's an good idea! Hope that incident will enter the Air Crash Investigation series.

#11 affendi osman

affendi osman
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 05:21 PM

Ya....hope they will put it in...

As we can see, there are a lot of crashes, maybe it'll be more interesting rather than repeating the same stories.

Azreen,

I know that story. Ur momma told me, sounds eerie....

#12 Mohd Idham

Mohd Idham

Single Lens?

• Platinum Member
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

QUOTE(Azreen @ Jul 4 2007, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My late father was supposed to be on that flite. He had missed the flite because he had stopped to pray at a nearby mosque. By the time he arrived at the airport, the flite was near closing but because there were VIPs and their gang on board, he was bumped out on the next flite. I still remember how we waited in agony at home. I guess communication was not easy those days. And my brother was born on 31 Dec 1977 thereafter. This incident left an everlasting mark on my mum and i (since I was the only child at that point).

TAKBIR.....ALLAHUAKBAR...!!!!

#13 Teoh Z Yao

Teoh Z Yao
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

It would be cool to see it on Air Crash Investigation... Shall we make a request if it doesn't?

#14 Azuddin

Azuddin

Fly Delta

• Platinum Member
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 02:18 PM

Did the aircraft really plunge like that, I thought it suffer an explosive decompression since the wreckage scatter everywhere.

Azuddin

#15 H Azmal

H Azmal
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE(Azuddin @ Jul 6 2007, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did the aircraft really plunge like that, I thought it suffer an explosive decompression since the wreckage scatter everywhere.

Azuddin

Your source for that being...

#16 Azuddin

Azuddin

Fly Delta

• Platinum Member
  • 4,117 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 07:36 AM

QUOTE(H Azmal @ Jul 6 2007, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your source for that being...

I have no source, just some words I heard from my uncle who was nearby the crash site during the tragedy.

Azuddin

#17 Alan B.

Alan B.
  • Gold Member
  • 954 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:14 PM

During SEP training this incident was discussed. I recall that an explosive decompression was the cause as told by our instructor. The slides of the crash site showed the site with remains and debris spread over a wide area.

#18 Jerry Ang

Jerry Ang
  • Gold Member
  • 921 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE(Teoh Z Yao @ Jul 5 2007, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be cool to see it on Air Crash Investigation... Shall we make a request if it doesn't?

How are we gonna do that?

#19 H Azmal

H Azmal
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

Explosive decomp pulak..hahah so many twists to this story. I admit, this is the first time I hear the crash being attributed to explosive decomp. wink.gif

But I tend to believe one of the actual investigators whom I had the fortune of getting in touch with. What he says is pretty much what is on wikipedia. Explosive decomp sounds like someone trying to sleaze a way out of embarrassment, IMO.

Just my 2p.

Edited by H Azmal, 07 July 2007 - 06:15 PM.

#20 Tamizi Hj Tamby

Tamizi Hj Tamby
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,767 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 03:59 PM

This incident will always become a mystery...From this incident,to the tragic Tawau incident.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users