MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

My Latest MAS Booking Engine Experience

Copying and pasting what I wrote on my FB wall this morning ... :)

---

Been a while since I last booked on the Malaysia Airlines website. And what happens? Stupid form says my phone number has error, but no tip on how to solve it. So have to try all combos of numbering formats -- time wasted. At payment stage, connection to bank hangs, no error msg, waited for 10min, quit browser. More time wasted. Try to return to main booking page, got warning, page out of sequence! Then another time-out msg. More time wasted! Aiyyaaa MAS oh MAS! ... with online AirAsia, Firefly, Emirates, Qatar, Cathay, etc, all smooth, one shot, no prob.

Tried again just now -- got this:

"We are sorry but an error has occurred. You may need to restart your browser. If the problem persists, please contact our customer service department. Please click here to restart your session."

Y U Like Make Easy Thing Difficult?

Okay, managed to re-login. Can see my booking (PNR #, itinerary all there) in my account but with the note "Not Fulfilled". Of course lah, you dolt, my payment hanged! Now to complete the transaction I just need to pay, but I can't find anything on the page about this. Still trying to find 'Pay Here' button!

Gave up on website, so called Call Centre, gotta go through usual voice prompts, luckily no need to wait too long. Agent will cancel above booking and I need to make a fresh one. Wanna help you, MAS, but why so painful one?

For this hop to SGN, I'd like to try their 738 and their more mature pilots. Otherwise I'd give my money to the red fort and let their 19-yr-old kids fly me. :D

One hour on, and I'm done. What an ordeal.

===

Doc - I'm going to forward this to the tech team. Hope you bear with us, because some improvement is coming soon.

Thank you, bro. :)

[...] some improvement is coming soon.

hahahahaha...that's joke, isnt it!

We heard that from Enrich not too long ago.

Seriously, it's as if the Tech team just sleeps all day. And only wakes up to re-act to complains. They should really be proactively look at the bugs, non-sensical layout of the booking engine, manage-my-bookings....the issues have been there for a gazillion months now.

Cannot "bear" with MH, just "give up" on MH and many did and moved on.

I admire your tenacity in trying to hold the fort and defend MH even if it's outside your area of expertise or responsibility, but really...why cant MH just get the basics sorted out.

Seriously, it's as if the Tech team just sleeps all day. And only wakes up to re-act to complains. They should really be proactively look at the bugs, non-sensical layout of the booking engine, manage-my-bookings....the issues have been there for a gazillion months now.

Like I've said many time - it's easy for you to say that.

Not trying to give an excuse, but just that seeing how they work, it's unfair for you to give snide remarks like that.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

The other day I tried to see what 'specials' MH could offer me

On the main page, entered all the necessary details - 'from' 'to' one way/return, departure date, return date, pax count, cattle class ? - then clicked the 'book now' button

Was redirected to a fresh page from the booking engine - look, you only just need to redo all that data entry, should not hurt

For some reason, I chickened out at that point :)

Edited by BC Tam

Frankly, I've used numerous booking engines of lesser-known airlines in other parts of the world, and never got as frustrated as using our very own MH. Even Firefly is harmless. :)

I wonder how many ppl aborted their transactions, leaving incomplete bookings? Lost revs! I almost defected to the red fort, but as I said above I'd like very much to try the B738.

Edited by Naim

Not trying to give an excuse, but just that seeing how they work, it's unfair for you to give snide remarks like that.

You can work your pants off but if it there are no tangible positive result/outcome, its a total waste of time, resources and money! I.e. you need to CHANGE the way you work.

I have ranted about the perennial bugs in MH's booking engine in another forum a few years ago. Looks like there has been little progress since then...

Edited by V Wong

Perhaps they should try and work smarter and engage those who give feedback - much like in the past, when companies like Microsoft had a usability lab to iron out user interface problems.

The public don't know and don't really care how the tech fellas work. All they have is the results of their work, which is quite poor. If other people can do a better job, why can't the MH tech team take a look at those other booking engines and how they work and compare it to their own. They can learn a thing or two from them.

At the end of the day, MH may be losing bookings - especially when non-Malaysian customers try to book from overseas using the internet. They are not going to have any sentimental feelings if they cannot complete the booking. They will just go to competitors' sites, where a booking can be completed in 5 minutes.

Since Suhaimi is giving comments and answers on behalf of MAS. There is one question from me, and perhaps Suhaimi can use his rappot as MAS staff to improve their Customer Service experience.

I did call MH on 11th of May regarding with my unpleasant experience when I took a flight from Kuantan, and MH Customer Service Agent asked me to leave my phone number, and she promised me, MH will get back to me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. This happened because, SHE DID NOT KNOW WHO IS THE IN-CHARGE FOR ENRICH LUGGAGE MATTERS.

3 weeks later (4th June), I've sent an email, after I experienced another unpleasant moment again and I've sent an email to customer@malaysiaairlines, as well as socialmedia@malaysiaairlines, rafidah@malaysiaairlines, and tengkuzoraya@malaysiaairlines.

3 weeks later, (today) I call MH again, asking for the status of my email, nobody seems to know. I ask for direct customer service department number, the agent informed me, IT IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR INTERNAL USE.

While MH tries to delight their customers, I wonder what takes MH so long to response to a complaint. My suggestion is, at least MH should try to acknowledge customers' email, "KAMI TELAH MENERIMA EMEL ANDA DAN MAKLUMBALAS AKAN DIBERIKAN DALAM MASA 14 HARI. MAKLUMBALAS ANDA AMAT PENTING UNTUK PENAMBAHBAIKAN PERKHIDMATAN KAMI", and try to work within the time frame given.

I hope my rants here will help MH to improve, well....not all but at least a little bit of Customer Service activities. Thank you.....

Doc, normally for single trip I'm using MHBuddy via FB for booking and no facing problem, much more easy compared to MH's web.

Thanks for tip, but with my laptop open in the office, only natural I do it the desktop-way. :)

In any case, in e-commerce, your website *is* your shop. I do think MH is losing significant rev, thanks to ppl being turned away by their clunky e-shop.

....... why can't the MH tech team take a look at those other booking engines and how they work and compare it to their own. They can learn a thing or two from them

Why not start from 'home' - get someone to complete a booking or two online, get an idea of what goes wrong and a feel of the frustration/anxiety when hiccups crop up. Then go off and fix those glitches

And when said glitches have been rectified, repeat the test process, till you do not come across anymore glitches to fix

I think you will also notice in the process that 'snide remarks' will gradually be replaced with praises instead :)

I hope my rants here will help MH to improve, well....not all but at least a little bit of Customer Service activities. Thank you.....

A couple of years ago, I flew Easyjet (STN-AMS), and nonchalantly tweeted a minor complaint as we landed AMS. I was surprised, within half an hour, somebody from their customer service tweeted back re: the complaint! Apparently they monitor any tweet contaning all keywords relating to their airlines, and respond accordingly.

Btw, a friend responded on my FB wall just now, on this issue (he's American, btw):

"My wife got onto the MAS site yesterday and was told that she doesn't exist. This after all these years collecting frequent flyer points that expire, slowly but surely, in little bits every year. Eventually, after an hour or so, she got them to recognize that she does exist after all ..."

Since Suhaimi is giving comments and answers on behalf of MAS. There is one question from me, and perhaps Suhaimi can use his rappot as MAS staff to improve their Customer Service experience.

I did call MH on 11th of May regarding with my unpleasant experience when I took a flight from Kuantan, and MH Customer Service Agent asked me to leave my phone number, and she promised me, MH will get back to me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. This happened because, SHE DID NOT KNOW WHO IS THE IN-CHARGE FOR ENRICH LUGGAGE MATTERS.

3 weeks later (4th June), I've sent an email, after I experienced another unpleasant moment again and I've sent an email to customer@malaysiaairlines, as well as socialmedia@malaysiaairlines, rafidah@malaysiaairlines, and tengkuzoraya@malaysiaairlines.

3 weeks later, (today) I call MH again, asking for the status of my email, nobody seems to know. I ask for direct customer service department number, the agent informed me, IT IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR INTERNAL USE.

While MH tries to delight their customers, I wonder what takes MH so long to response to a complaint. My suggestion is, at least MH should try to acknowledge customers' email, "KAMI TELAH MENERIMA EMEL ANDA DAN MAKLUMBALAS AKAN DIBERIKAN DALAM MASA 14 HARI. MAKLUMBALAS ANDA AMAT PENTING UNTUK PENAMBAHBAIKAN PERKHIDMATAN KAMI", and try to work within the time frame given.

Well, your rants may just get to the right places, that I'm sure about.

As for the tech team, they are working their ass off with the VENDOR.

Yes, really like the EasyJet web site. Not only is it easy to use, it is very helpful too - and it is less mercenary that AirAsia's... Overall, a very good user experience.

And my EasyJet flight (NCE-BRU) was not bad as well...

Warning...more "snide remarks" below:

Based on what you said, it suggests that most of your colleagues work hard but not smart. Also, it suggests that there is a systemic issue within MH.

I'm not trying to ask MH engineering to try and fit Rolls Royce engines on your new A330s...but just get the basics right. Your shop front, your FFP, your customer service response (if there's such a thing).

It's the BASICS!

My pet peeve: you spend time over the phone with the call center over an issue. Couldnt be resolved and then, ended up being asked to email somebody in MH on the issue that we have just spent some 15-30 minutes on over the phone. As the call center staff already knows what the issue is - WHY cant they escalate the matter themselves? Why ASK the customer to do MORE work for MH's inefficiency that caused the issue in the first place? So, in the end, it will end up as double inefficiency...and everybody knows that emails to customer service just disappear into some blackhole - so you tend to end up with triple inefficiencies. Frustrating experience when dealing with MH.

Sometimes, I wonder if the head honcho of MH customer experience is the sort of guy that gets his secretary to "print out his emails so that he may read them."

As for the tech team, they are working their ass off with the VENDOR.

Again, Joe Public is not the least bit interested in going on's between 'tech team' and vendor, insinuated or otherwise

Have a functional booking engine available, not excuses (apologies if I sound mean)

My interaction with MH call center (on ticket, fares, FFP) can be summarised as follows:

Out of 10 calls, maybe 3 are just "OK"; 7 will end up with me feeling that I just need to strangle somebody in MH.

Again, Joe Public is not the least bit interested in going on's between 'tech team' and vendor, insinuated or otherwise

Have a functional booking engine available, not excuses (apologies if I sound mean)

AJ said MH want to focus on making more revenue - fixing the booking engine will surely ensure that this objective will be met!

I've said what I needed to say. Yes, I will forward your sugestion to them team.

AJ said MH want to focus on making more revenue - fixing the booking engine will surely ensure that this objective will be met!

Yes flee, the process is currently on-going.

My interaction with MH call center (on ticket, fares, FFP) can be summarised as follows:

Out of 10 calls, maybe 3 are just "OK"; 7 will end up with me feeling that I just need to strangle somebody in MH.

And the person at the other end always signs off with ".... and have a nice day" ? :D

Tickets booking...OK

Special meals request...OK

Seat assign...ok

Phone check-in....OK

Inter-department matters, latest promotions, and many more......*pensannnn (faint)

Sign in to follow this