MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

MAS Current Fleet Withdrawal Thread

Thus, the tan from your "sunbathing" may not be as dark as you anticipated.

Maybe not able to get tanned at all, they look very much with albino trait :D

I don't think you understood what I'm saying.

1.5 to 2.0 months combined duration of the lull period where there are no Umrah or Hajj flight activities. Zero Hajj or Umrah dedicated flights during this period. Nil, zilch.

Hence, contrary to your understanding, aircraft used for Hajj/ Umrah flights can operate such flights for circa 10 months in a 12-month period.

Thus, the tan from your "sunbathing" may not be as dark as you anticipated.

haha... indeed i misunderstood it. then let them be operate for hajj ops then

With MH now using one of their A380s for Haj charters, I think that the B777 fleet will disappear very quickly once the CDG and AMS services are suspended. How quickly depends on whether other existing B777 routes switch to the A333 successfully.

With the closure of AMS and CDG, the B777 are practically grounded as there are almost no other routes that utilizes the B772 now. There is a daily flight to CAN and for this month, a few ski charters to Japan. Whatever flights that could be transferred to A330 has been transferred, that includes JED, MEL and AKL.

For umrah the A380 is utilized, for Hajj it is unknown if MH will get the contract for next year. This year (2015) is the last of the previous 3 years contract. If anybody remembers AK and Transmile used to get the Hajj contract in the past; they wet-leased widebodies from other airlines.

Can MAB deploy the B777 on TPE route? Seems that the current flight using B738 is always full and 4.5 hrs flight on B738 is bit stretching it...

I also remembered flying to Dhaka on B777, last December.

Can MAB deploy the B777 on TPE route? Seems that the current flight using B738 is always full and 4.5 hrs flight on B738 is bit stretching it...

I also remembered flying to Dhaka on B777, last December.

I don't think there will be a reprieve for the 777 - it's on its way out as quickly as possible.

As for flying 4 hrs on a 737, I don't think that's stretching the plane's capability in the least.

not the plane's capability, but the passenger comfortableness. have you seen the toilet queue after meal service?

Definitely uncomfortable on the 738 but MAB will likely just increase the frequency, airlines that do not have strong market share have been known to do this If there is demand rather than upgrading them to the 772s. The 772 these days are just not that efficient on doing short-regional sector especially when u check on its fuel burn and maintenance cost as compared to the a333 on the same sector and we havent pitch in the A330 Neos cost effectiveness yet which i think MAB should get some. The only thing maybe MAB can do now is readjust the seat pitch on Y or upgrade some of the flights if there are spare idling A333's which i doubt .

9M-MRC now re-registered as N284CG. Stored at San Bernardino International Airport.

It was ferried from Kuala Lumpur to San Bernardino by pilots under Air Freelance UK.

https://flic.kr/p/Bcvo1u

https://flic.kr/p/BrT5E8

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-(Malaysia-Airlines)/Boeing-777-2H6-ER/2745129/&sid=d742738bf985670c73f600a211b46f4f

http://www.airfreelance.co.uk/project/boeing-777-200/

9M-MRH now re-registered as 2-MMRH. Stored at Marana - Pinal Airpark, USA.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled-(Malaysia-Airlines)/Boeing-777-2H6-ER/2750259/&sid=3c71cd1bbc2b4d57588133d851840383

Just curious. If an aircraft is stored like that, do the previous owner eg MAB stripped them off their seats, galleys and inflight entertainment systems? Or leave it as it is as it's not reusable anymore? Thx.

Just curious. If an aircraft is stored like that, do the previous owner eg MAB stripped them off their seats, galleys and inflight entertainment systems? Or leave it as it is as it's not reusable anymore? Thx.

It depends on MAB to determine if the assets are worthy to be recovered. As far as I know, MAS/MAB leave the seats, galley and IFE as they are. This is why you can see those smarties seats on Rayani Air B734 and Windrose A332 that MH retired earlier.

Removing them can be quite a big task as there are many aircraft to do so.

Singapore Airlines stripped out their F class in B744 before retiring them/ selling them as they still own the patent. They replaced the empty nose with J class (Spacebed) recovered from other retired B744. As for regional B772/B773 sold to Transaero, both J and Y class are kept. IFE was not functional. SQ must have done their homework those heavily used seats, galley are no longer worthy.

I think that for leased aircraft, the airline has to comply with the terms of the lease and return the aircraft in a pre-determined condition - SQ might be able to remove items because they own the aircraft.

I think that for leased aircraft, the airline has to comply with the terms of the lease and return the aircraft in a pre-determined condition - SQ might be able to remove items because they own the aircraft.

True but half truth. SQ owns most of their B744 fleet outright from delivery. However as they approach their mid life, SQ sold and leased back those B744, same as other fleet. They are either done through prominent lessor or shell companies to complete the transaction.

SQ removed their B744 F class due to patent issue and doesn't want any rival to get their hand on their prestigious 2000s F class. To date, it is still one of the best F class created. One of a kind ever produced.

MH125/124 KUL-PER-KUL is being operated by Boeing 777-200ERs for the past 3 days including today.

That is because some A333 is/are AOG

It has been confirmed that MH B772 fleet will not exist after January 2016.

That is because some A333 is/are AOG

It has been confirmed that MH B772 fleet will not exist after January 2016.

Captain, what is your next assignment type or job prospect?

Hope you will find the type of your choice!

Really really sad ending to the B777-2H6/ERs at MH. A type that didn't do well in MH's history. Next I guess are the white elephants, the A380-800s.

Surprisingly A330-300 has been doing quite well within MH. Who would have thought!

Edited by S V Choong

Captain, what is your next assignment type or job prospect?

Hope you will find the type of your choice!

Really really sad ending to the B777-2H6/ERs at MH. A type that didn't do well in MH's history. Next I guess are the white elephants, the A380-800s.

Surprisingly A330-300 has been doing quite well within MH. Who would have thought!

Definitely will not be with MH. Where, when is still to be determined.

B772 did well with MH when MH was a long distance airline. That was what the B777 was made for. Without long distance flights the B777 type is no longer economical. Put aside the profitability of the routes as there are many reason why the company cannot make profit; aircraft type is not the significant factor.

As for the A380, MH will get rid of it as soon as they can sell it off. It was ordered in a different era when things were rosy and the future looks bright. Pretty soon LHR will be the only long distance flight in MH timetable; the furtherst otherwise will be JED to the west, TYO to the notheast and at the moment, AKL to the south.

Today's MH72 MH73 KUL - HKG - KUL is operating with a 777

HKG has been with 737-800 but no 330 for what one would think is a big route?

Edited by DaTan

The 772ER was designed for the long range mission.

The A333 can't fly the same distance.

The 772ER did a fantastic job for MAS. Like all things, age catches up.

Gets costly to keep this old bird flying.

Just imagine trying to keep your 20 year Proton Saga running.

New models are designed with better economics.

Sad that MAS will reducing their presence internationally but i guess CM knows what he is doing.

Well, MH owns 4 frames - perhaps Malindo and/or Rayani Air can buy them off MH for their Haj and Umrah operations? B777s of this type are reportedly valued at around US$40-50m each, although DL thinks they are worth only US$10m!

I would think that the Asia centric route network that MH now operates would see the A333 as the most economic aircraft to deploy. Even the A339neo can't beat it in economics until the route is longer than 4,000 nautical miles - so only JED/AKL might be better off with a A339neo.

With the B777s gone from the MH fleet, I can see the A380-800 doing super sub work from time to time... The charters also seem to be doing well - now that everyone knows that MH has 2 spare A380s.

Another B777-200ER gone - from Skyliner:

Boeing 777-2H6 28414 140 N703AC AirCastle ferried 21dec15 QPG-SBD, basic Malaysia cs ex 9M-MRG

Wait for few days photos will be up in the net.

Surprisingly they used N703AC registration which was used on one of ex-MH B744 (9M-MPG) when it was returned to Air Castle.

This was on Leeham news

Boeing stock sell-off on 777-200ER deal over-blown

http://leehamnews.com/2015/12/22/boeing-stock-sell-off-on-777-200er-deal-over-blown/

Delta CEO says used 772 going for US7.7mil.

Mentioned MAS' disposals as well as SQ, EK etc.

I own't say it is overblown rather, Boeing overwhelming 777 success is also their own 'shortcomings' in second hand market.

First generation of 777 are now practically worthless with all those being retired/ had retired being scrapped.

Ex-China Southern B777-200ER were sent to scrapheap including their engines recently!!

With Scoot, Singapore Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, Emirates, Vietnam Airlines, Transaero, Kenya Airways and Japan Airlines B777 fleet coming off lease and being parked, the second hand market for B777 will look even more depressed in next few years.

Also, Emirates first B77W will be off lease next year.....B77W second hand value will take a hit soon. Jet Airways is trying to sell their B77W fleet as well.

I found this list of Malaysia Airlines B777 fleet offered for sale or lease:

1. 777-2H6ER 28419 2002 9M-MRN Stored, last operated by Malaysia Airlines
  2. 777-2H6ER 28417 1999 2-MMRJ Stored, last operated by Malaysia Airlines
  3. 777-2H6ER 28415 1998 2-MMRH Stored, last operated by Malaysia Airlines
  4. 777-2H6ER 28414 1998 N703AC Stored, last operated by Malaysia Airlines, registered under trustee (Aircastle) on 20OCT15 (9M-MRG)
  5. 777-2H6ER 28413 1998 N77728 Stored, last operated by Malaysia Airlines, registered under trustee on 28OCT15 (9M-MRF)
  6. 777-2H6ER 28410 1997 N284CG Stored, last operated by Malaysia Airlines, N-reg on 19NOC15 (9M-MRC)
  7. 777-2H6ER 28409 1997 9M-MRB Stored, last operated by Malaysia Airlines
  8. 777-200ER 29066 2001 9M-MRM Marketed online by PwC since 16NOV15 as available for Sale
  9. 777-200ER 29065 2001 9M-MRL Marketed online by PwC since 16NOV15 as available for Sale
  10. 777-200ER 28422 2004 9M-MRQ Marketed online by PwC since 16NOV15 as available for Sale
  11. 777-200ER 28421 2004 9M-MRP Marketed online by PwC since 16NOV15 as available for Sale

9M-MRA and 9M-MRE are currently missing from the list.

Source: http://myairlease.com/available/fleetintel_777

Agreement with EK kills off B777 from MH fleet. Time changes.

Edited by JuliusWong