MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

Air India One experiences severe jolt as it nears

Air India One experiences severe jolt as it nears Malaysia

http://news.webindia123.com/news/showdetai...87865&cat=World

Air India One experiences severe jolt as it nears Malaysia

Onboard Air India One | December 11, 2005 6:08:47 PM IST

It may seem far fetched or even next to impossible, but Air India One, the 747 aircraft carrying Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his entourage, experienced a severe and massive jolt about an hour before landing at Kuala Lumpur Airport.

Manned by Captain Kathalia, the huge aircraft with spacious seating for all, swayed from left to right as it entered an air pocket between the Andaman Islands and Kuala Lumpur, but nothing untoward happened.

For those not in the know, Air India One, which usually carries the President and the Prime Minister on their official tours abroad, is thoroughly checked several days before a scheduled VVIP flight by airline and security personnel, especially by the Special Protection Group (SPG), which provides security cover for at least 22 VVIPs of the country.

Crew designated for this special aircraft, as also food and beverages are thoroughly checked as well. The delegatiion accompanying a VVIP is asked to report at least two hours before the intended flight for purposes of verification and baggage check-in formalities. Each passenger is asked to furnish relevant documents for the travel a couple of weeks in advance to ensure proper verification at the time of departure from the VVIP section of the airport.

Air India hasn't had a fatal accident since 1982 (apart from the 1985 Kanishka bomb case over the Irish coast). According to informed airline sources, since then, the airline has carried out about 750,000 departures.

Air India, originally known as Tata Airlines, was founded in 1932. It became the world's first all-jet airline in 1962. It's headquarters is at Mumbai.

Currently Air India operates an all wide-body fleet of Boeing 747-200s, 300s, and 400s as well as numerous Airbus A-310s for regional Indian Subcontinent services. (ANI)

well, TATA is an indian brand for the lorries [i think], perhaps they have something to do with it.

19842[/snapback]

TATA is a big Indian engineering conglomerate. Wouldn't surprise me if they started that airline.

Speaking of AI, the B747 is parked at the apron of the MTB, near the B gates. Saw it this morning while taxiing for take off to PEN.

Nice AI, ASIANA and JAPAN aircrafts. I think GA and some Russian airliner alos parked there.

well, TATA is an indian brand for the lorries [i think], perhaps they have something to do with it.

19842[/snapback]

TATA is not only about lorries...they are originally an iron and steel company (nowaday called TISCO) and then diversified to other like TELCO (Tata Engineering and Locomotives Ltd), Tata Power,Tata Consultancy Services Ltd.,Tata Elxsi (a software company) and new addition Tata Autocomp Systems Ltd...Jamshedji Tata (the founder) is know as father of India industry

but never knew they own Air India before..I'll check up again..

Edited by Saiful Bahari

TATA is not only about lorries...they are originally an iron and steel company (nowaday called TISCO) and then diversified to other like TELCO (Tata Engineering and Locomotives Ltd), Tata Power,Tata Consultancy Services Ltd.,Tata Elxsi (a software company) and new addition Tata Autocomp Systems Ltd...Jamshedji Tata (the founder) is know as father of India industry

but never knew they own Air India before..I'll check up again..

20660[/snapback]

For some time, i thought TATA is the red MPPP bus plying the routes of Georgetown! tongue.gif

Sign in to follow this