MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Pieter C.

Air Asia in talks for more A320's

AirAsia In Talks For More A320s

August 21, 2007

Malaysian budget carrier AirAsia is in talks to buy more Airbus A320 planes due to increasing demand, AirAsia Deputy Chief Executive Kamarudin Meranum said.

AirAsia, one of the fastest growing airlines in the world, has 150 firm orders for the single-aisle A320s and options on another 50.

"We are in discussions to increase our Airbus orders," Kamarudin said, but gave no further details.

"We will probably firm up some of the optional aircrafts and take additional optional aircrafts," he said.

AirAsia, Asia's largest budget carrier, introduced its low-fare, no-frills concept in December 2001, and has since embarked on an aggressive expansion.

(Reuters)

Hope they know what they're doing and not 'over expanding' like previous airlines such as PeoplExpress, etc...

Hope they know what they're doing and not 'over expanding' like previous airlines such as PeoplExpress, etc...

hope so that they really in need for the aircraft and not for the sake of showing off... <_>

hope so that they really in need for the aircraft and not for the sake of showing off... <_<

Be carefull with that statement .Whatever we want to say we must think rationally and with facts before jumping on conclusion.How about Emirates with their 55 aircraft order A380? or 60 aircraft order A350XWB from Qatar?

They have many many many many aircraft , many many many many flights , many many many many many problems with a/c and there are many many many many things I hate about AirAsia .

But their yearly profits don't have all the many's like what i've mentioned above ..

They have many many many many aircraft , many many many many flights , many many many many many problems with a/c and there are many many many many things I hate about AirAsia .

But their yearly profits don't have all the many's like what i've mentioned above ..

I never take AK before, and surprising that the company do get some bad review though...

Its a free world,as a consumer you get to choose whatever ,wherever you want,one mans meat another mans poison.You cant compare a full service or legacy airline to a LCC.You should be compare Ryanair,easyJet or Southwest.

Be carefull with that statement .Whatever we want to say we must think rationally and with facts before jumping on conclusion.How about Emirates with their 55 aircraft order A380? or 60 aircraft order A350XWB from Qatar?

:huh: dun get me wrong azmir....as a can say regular flyer for ak...i do support them...well...i just raising my point of concern for our baby boy...just like parent worrying about their children...got my point??

150 A320s not solely catered for AK operations but for FD & QZ (+ any other future subsidiaries) as well. With over 500 millions populations in Asean there's plenty of room to grow.

I seriously dont think theye need so many planes for AK Malaysia for the time bring, unless such plane is deployed for Thai and Indo AK. :rolleyes:

I never take AK before, and surprising that the company do get some bad review though...

In all my years of traveling with AK, only had a couple of delays - then just an hour or so late, with the old 737. So far no prob for me. Many times arrived early. Btw just got back from DPS. Last Monday AK904 (AFV) arrived DPS 10min early, today AK901 (AFI) arrived KUL 30min early. :good:

+++

I think AK & Co is going to annihilate the competition. I see many of the new planes are going to cover China and India, which are within the range of A320s, and more frequencies to current destinations when people get to know AK better. Fly it, know it, love it!

Current planning is to equip KUL hub with approx 40-50 A320 then to replace B733 at hubs JHB,KCH,BKI and perhaps new hub PEN followed by ThaiAirAsia (FD)and IndonesiaAirAsia (QZ) and also other JV in the pipeline planned for the future.The airplane order is not solely for Malaysia but rather for the whole AirAsia Grp.Planned replacement for FD will start this Nov and QZ the earliest 2008.

One does not have to dwell too deeply into Malaysian aviation history to learn of previous overly ambitious expansion plans. Yes, very impressive and exciting times they were when "a certain someone" signed contracts for 744's, 772ER's, 773's, 734's, 735's, 333's in rapid succession. Years later, we see the red ink predominate in the annual P&L's and many of the birds basking unproductively under the sun at KLIA. Then the taxpayers, well, paid ....... !

Having even taken into account the very different business models between AK and the above-referred carrier, one cannot help but wonder if anything was learnt from previous experience. I do sincerely hope they know what they are getting into though (and make a success of it) !

Things are in the past now, so what they do is to utilise the current ageing fleets and to be more prudednt with fleets selection since cash flow is another concern her. Not to mention the task to keep the current sharehiolders happy too....of which majority are the government which indirectly implies the RAKYAT $$. Haha :rolleyes:

Just a question about the jargon, FD is Thai Air Asia and QZ is Indonesia Air Asia, correct?

BC, it's the tax payer's money anyway who cares....;) i wonder how much of their earnings had returned to the citizens if they did make a profit.

O/T Looks like MH is solidifying the idea of keeping the 734 fleet as any new planes from A or B Co. can only be delivered 5-6 years from now due to the backlog of orders. Perhaps one should ask why AK is able to get their 320 birds delivered in a matter of months, while it takes MAS to acquire their first bird 5-6 years later? Doesn't sound quite right.... Though MH is better of keeping their current 734 till the latest narrow body shows up rather than ordering the current 737NG.

Edited by S V Choong

Current planning is to equip KUL hub with approx 40-50 A320 then to replace B733 at hubs JHB,KCH,BKI and perhaps new hub PEN followed by ThaiAirAsia (FD)and IndonesiaAirAsia (QZ) and also other JV in the pipeline planned for the future.The airplane order is not solely for Malaysia but rather for the whole AirAsia Grp.Planned replacement for FD will start this Nov and QZ the earliest 2008.
AirAsia Vietnam in the pipeline (JV with Vietnamese) and soon another hub in Vietnam.+++
Just a question about the jargon, FD is Thai Air Asia and QZ is Indonesia Air Asia, correct?BC, it's the tax payer's money anyway who cares....;) i wonder how much of their earnings had returned to the citizens if they did make a profit.
Before talking about 'using' taxpayers' money, pls check AirAsia shareholding structure here first:http://tinyurl.com/3bpu7a+++

..... the task to keep the current sharehiolders happy too....of which majority are the government which indirectly implies the RAKYAT $$. Haha :rolleyes:

Quite right - "Haha :rolleyes:" ! ;)

Before talking about 'using' taxpayers' money, pls check AirAsia shareholding structure here first:http://tinyurl.com/3bpu7a+++

Public occupies 40 odd % of the share. What does "public" in this context mean? The tax paying public or offering of share to the public for purchase (I mean those anyone who can buy on the share market) ?

But the "public" shareholder of MH is actually the tax paying Joe public represented by the government if I am not mistaken.

Edited by S V Choong

everyone gets unhappy when they see us make a move which not many airliners can do. you don't need to have some sophisticated business model or things like that to survive. some proper planning from some proper hands would save you a bunch.

airasia's expanding like no one can, and nothing is going to stop them. we can be red all over, but that definitely does not include our accounts book ;) ;)

:D ..... actually Ive been following this forum for quite sumtime.. but decided .. well y dun i participate in it..

anyway .. the Public in this context would mean any tom dick and harry who has the money can buy into the share of AK...

ie even you or me... well provided we haf the money la.... :D

but well we should be well aware tt AK n MH way for managing is diff.. 1 is GLC n another is a profit minded com.. so well it holds accountability towards the shareholder n not the gov .. thus... mayb a success story ??

everyone gets unhappy when they see us make a move which not many airliners can do. you don't need to have some sophisticated business model or things like that to survive. some proper planning from some proper hands would save you a bunch.

airasia's expanding like no one can, and nothing is going to stop them. we can be red all over, but that definitely does not include our accounts book ;) ;)

I'm all for AK, as long as I get to pay 'value-for-money' airfares for places I've always wanted to go to. Btw I just got home from 4 nites in Bali, paid only RM230 return, and flight KUL-DPS arrived 10min early, DPS-KUL early by 30min. I'm a happy puppy! Other ppl can foam in the mouth but I'll stick to AK as long as I can get great deals like this. :D

+++

Won't fly AK unless for exceptionally short flights (like anywhere within peninsular M'sia), but they're impressive nonetheless as a business entity. Even if you don't fly LCCs, you're still benefiting from LCCs through greater price competition, which leads to lower fares on full service carriers. Only downside is cuts in service on the shorter flights, which will hopefully not spread to long haul flights when more LCCs go long haul.

Edited by Keith T

Sign in to follow this