MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Cheng Kit

MAS to increase flights to Colombo, Male & Manila

Malaysia Airlines from 28MAR10 is adjusting service to the Philippines, Sri Lanka and Maldives.

* Kuala Lumpur – Colombo Triangle service with Male (See below) split, 5 weekly terminator service with 737-800

* Kuala Lumpur – Male Service adjustment, 5 weekly 737-800 terminator service replace triangle service with Colombo on A330

* Kuala Lumpur – Manila Increase from 1 to 2 Daily. 737-800 replace A330-300

Schedule as follows:

Kuala Lumpur – Colombo

MH179 KUL2330 – 0020+1CMB 738 x27

MH178 CMB0120 – 0715KUL 738 x13

Kuala Lumpur – Male

MH177 KUL2200 – 2310MLE 738 x25

MH176 MLE0010 – 0730KUL 738 x36

Kuala Lumpur – Manila

MH704 KUL1015 – 1405MNL 738 D

MH802 KUL1340 – 1730MNL 738 D

MH705 MNL1505 – 1840KUL 738 D

MH803 MNL1830 – 2205KUL 738 D

Source : here

I think the split up of CMB and MLE is great. Triangular routes are somewhat weird to me. On a related news, SQ switches the equipment for their CMB and MLE services from the 9V-SR* series B772s to the new A333s beginning on the same date.

Twice daily B738 to MNL is better than a daily/9 weekly A333 in my opinion.

Can't wait to peruse the new timetable beginning 28 March 2010 when MH finally uploaded it into their website. There must be some other changes, plus many errors as well LOL.

I wonder what happens to the BKI-MNL service (which originates from KUL)?

PR used to fly to KUL not too long ago with 320s. Obviously couldnt make money, now just codeshares with MH.

SO with CMB and MLE on the 738 roster, all 3 738s will prob be working around the clock on most days. I believe there is also the overnite service to Bangalore or Hyderabad using the 738s. Getting their money's worth from the lease!

So, where will the 333 go, after being pulled from MNL, CMB/MLE? Addition frequencies to the Gulf, new cities in the Gulf or more China/ India? (if one assumes teh overnight trip to CMB/MLE and the subsequent day trip to MNL, one can easily fit in a return trip to the Gulf, leaving KUL very late night and back by late afternoon the next day.)

I wonder if MH is getting at least one more leased 738 or the timetable is not fully updated...

I picked a random day; 5-April, a Mon.

It shows 738s departing for CMB, MLE, BLR, HYD - all departing around 22:00 or 23:00. To do that, one needs 4 738s...

Separately, whilst reseraching the above; in the N. SUmmer timetable; i discovered that

MH also increases frequency to BWN to 4x wk nonstop terminator service, with a new service on day 5.

Finally, someone at MH is making sense :good:

Great to break KUL/MLE/CMB triangle service :yahoo: :good: With exception of Indian airlines, Maldivians are use to widebody (i.e. EK, UL SQ), not sure whether they will like 738 without IFE.

Since AK is serving CMB at more civilize hours, not sure how MH redeye flight could compete with AK.

MH can now tap Philippine market for traffic to Europe and Australia :good:

Does it means MH will have surplus A333?

:drinks:

I wonder if MH is getting at least one more leased 738 or the timetable is not fully updated...

I picked a random day; 5-April, a Mon.

It shows 738s departing for CMB, MLE, BLR, HYD - all departing around 22:00 or 23:00. To do that, one needs 4 738s...

If I am not mistaken someone posted somewhere here (or in the Spotting Subforum) about MH acquiring 2 more B738s on a lease term basis. So there'll be 5 leased B738s with MH then.

I wonder if MH is getting at least one more leased 738 .....

MH will probably be leasing 3 more B738 early this year. The -8H6 will be arriving at the later part of the year.

looks like there's a lot more better judgment and decision making in the higher echelons of MAS... good for them.

Excellent, Now the WAU is expending again . Of course the hardware and software must remain comparable and better than others to attrach better yields and market share.

BTW, any plans to reinstate MFM, NGO, DRW ....etc.

Could this mean MH be a SQ in the future :rolleyes:

Finally, someone at MH is making sense :good:

Great to break KUL/MLE/CMB triangle service :yahoo: :good: With exception of Indian airlines, Maldivians are use to widebody (i.e. EK, UL SQ), not sure whether they will like 738 without IFE.

Since AK is serving CMB at more civilize hours, not sure how MH redeye flight could compete with AK.

MH can now tap Philippine market for traffic to Europe and Australia :good:

Does it means MH will have surplus A333?

Could this mean MH be a SQ in the future :rolleyes:

I believe the splitting of once daily 333 to double daily 738 KUL-MNL-KUL is a good move by MH. Been on the 734/333 for the route for so many years, man, the flight's passenger composition is almost 15% malaysian & 85% pinoy, and the flight is beyond 80% load factor each time. Many of the pinoys are transit passengers as you can see while waiting for boarding at the gates at KUL.

If u see the check in lines at NAIA T1 MNL for the gulf region-bound flight, you can see a loooong line of passengers bound for Middle East, be it on direct GF double daily, QR double daily, EK daily, EY daily and 1-stop KU. Alas, MH only fly its bird to DXB and JED in ME. SQ is very big in MNL with previously thrice daily flight (1 773 + 2 772). Been on all the 3 MNL-bound on SQ, there's lot of OFW there conencting from their country of work.

A lot to be tapped if details study is put into this MNL case, IMHO.

The problem with MAS is that they concentrated on the O&D passengers only ... they could have learnt from their counterparts down south that transit passengers is what they had to carry. There is huge potential in Indonesia and Phillipines but they blew it. SQ is the unofficial flag carrier for indonesia. With such a huge market, they are simply raking it in ... not just from labour traffic but from the higher yielding passengers too!

But in Malaysia, learning from others is seen as a bad thing....we are too proud to admit we are wrong

The problem with MAS is that they concentrated on the O&D passengers only ... they could have learnt from their counterparts down south that transit passengers is what they had to carry. There is huge potential in Indonesia and Phillipines but they blew it. SQ is the unofficial flag carrier for indonesia. With such a huge market, they are simply raking it in ... not just from labour traffic but from the higher yielding passengers too!

But in Malaysia, learning from others is seen as a bad thing....we are too proud to admit we are wrong

Concurred with you :good:

Very well said !!! :good: :drinks:

wow, this is great news .. don't have to waste 1hr transit at MLE to CMB. Even timing by AK more convenient but pax will choose MH on comfort etc.

Edited by liza

Yup see on news headline this evening and still no official annoucment from MAS Press Release...

What in my head:

1. Do this flight tag together with Capetown? Like MH203/MH204 did before.

2. Fleet use, presume B747...Not possible for B777 but seem like B777 fully utilise on current schedule pattern.