MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Johan Z

MAB New Economy Plus Cabin on All Existing 15 A333, 6 A380 and 6 A359

Introducing 'super economy' is a very good idea. I suppose yields will improve with the A350 flying to London compared to the A380. That will also mean the end of First Class on MH. I'm glad they're keeping Paris, especially since AF are pulling out. I'm completely surprised by the consideration being given to pulling out of AMS! I thought that route was doing well. I'm glad to hear that business class seats on the A330s will be updated and that 'super economy' will be introduced on these aircraft. Angled flat-beds in business class are an absolute no-no now!

That Y+ that was fitted to -MNA is one of the lousiest zero-effort premium Y product. I wouldnt pay more than RM100 to sit there on the LHR run. It was so sub standard.

Super Economy sounds like Y- to me. Yikes :p

To me it sounded like some super-duper cheap, barrel scraping, bargain of a lifetime fare class

Alas, I'm now coming round to realize it's not to be :D

The word Super - start thinking Supersized

also Super Savers comes to mind

big but dose not sound "premium" :search:

Edited by DaTan

That Y+ that was fitted to -MNA is one of the lousiest zero-effort premium Y product. I wouldnt pay more than RM100 to sit there on the LHR run. It was so sub standard.

KLM's Y+ is far worse.

Nobody ever said Y+ should be J-...

So no more First class if A380s are fully taken off the fleet. I wonder if First is really that unpopular, even for LHR route? Anyone has any idea what's the load like for First for the LHR route?

But again, if you have Business like SQ, is First really needed?

So no more First class if A380s are fully taken off the fleet. I wonder if First is really that unpopular, even for LHR route? Anyone has any idea what's the load like for First for the LHR route?

The more important thing is "is MH making money on first class?" If most of those who are in first class don't fork out money for those seats, then it should not be a big problem to get rid of them.

I don't think MH will install business class seats similar to SQ - MH can't afford those seats and there isn't enough premium branding on MH that passengers will justify paying that much more for MH. If MH gets off-the-shelf Zodiac Cirrus (similar to CX/AA 77W) or B/E Super Diamond (similar to QR/AY A350), I'll be a happy camper. But having that said, it's probably going to be something less premium like Solstys or Vantage seats similar to EI/EY (which are still great products).

MH F soft product is very similar to MH J - F comes with an additional main course entrée, caviar and better selection of alcoholic drinks (read that Dom is not served in FCL anymore too - can't confirm), so I don't think most will pay more to fly MH F. Plus, most F passengers are booked in Z/P (on OW) or O (on *A) anyway.

Edited by Craig

If MH no longer offer F class, full fare paying royal family, chairman of glc and plc, senior civil servants and gomen officials are likely to travel on foreign airline than downgraded to J class. It shouldn't be hard for MH to breakeven on 4 or 8 F class seats on A359.

Edited by KK Lee

If MH no longer offer F class, full fare paying royal family, chairman of glc and plc, senior civil servants and gomen officials are likely to travel on foreign airline than downgraded to J class.

most of them already did...

KLM's Y+ is far worse.

Nobody ever said Y+ should be J-...

That depends on whether Y+ is just part of Y or a different class altogether.

KLM's Y+ isn't a different class per se. Much like the US carries, it's just a few rows of economy with more legroom.

If MH calls their Y+ product Premium Economy, then it should be J-.

Edited by Chris Tan

Most of the European and American Y+ are upgraded Y seats with an extra leg space. While Asian carriers (e.g. JAL and SQ) provide more perks and Y+ is a class on its own.

The Y+ that MH had initially installed on the first A380 had a bit more legroom (but not much more), has a foot rest like those in the MH772 Y cabin in the early years, and the PTV controller is the same type installed in C & F...and that's it. Essentially the very same seat as normal Y but in a separate small cabin. I think it is more like "Y+0.5%".

Laughable to think that MH would have had a jump on SQ with such a product.

But of course, this class was never operated commercially, so maybe to compensate for the poor hard product, the soft product may have included caviar or better meals, amenity kits and MH business-class headsets, gold-plated cutlery, limo service, lounge access, baggage allowance to bring along the kitchen sink and bathtub etc, a class beyond normal economy that other airlines would have talked about it.

Except MH proposed offering wasnt even of Galaxy S2 standard....the premium economy product of VS et al of FIVE years ago was still better than what MH had intended to label as its Y+ product...a half hearted offering.

Edited by Mushrif A

I am curious how will MH market its "super economy" - an entire separate cabin with different booking class e.g. CX/SQ/BR/BA/LH premium economy or more in the line of AA MCE or UA E+ (same booking class, but elites get it for free and minimal charge to non-elites).

Edited by Craig

I somehow is looking forward on Premium Economy class as i see there is a future following most legacy carrier (not just only MAS, soon) exits the First Class offering, as noted earlier, MH does not have a good brand association with its premium offering. I been doing some talk lately with some people and it seem that Y+, being a new product as it is, rather lack appeal unless being designed right. I wonder the possibility for MH to offer Y+ passenger the accessibility to the premium plus for a small fare. That could be a great utilisation on the lounge it self as well as side income

Sign in to follow this