New EU blacklisted countries/airlines now published

Guys & gals,

Take a look at this link:

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air-ban/pdf/list_en.pdf

I think, this is bye-bye to the regular DC-10-30 Freighters of DSR :(

Also bye bye to Tri-star....:( 3 holers are getting rarer these days

Not really, as the 9Q-registered Tristar of Heba is exempted :good:

Also bye bye to Tri-star....:( 3 holers are getting rarer these days

well not forgetting that the RAF has their own L1011 still in service..

Hmm, Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea and Swazilands carriers are all blacklisted!! That is indeed very peculiar... is it to do with the EUs non recognition of the Civil Aviation authoroties in those countries?

Air Koryo only operates scheduled services to Beijing IIRC.. But i've seen their aircraft in MXM at the beginning of this year :) hmmm.. wonder what they were doing in Macau? :nea: :blink:

Edited by Sandeep G

Air Koryo only operates scheduled services to Beijing IIRC.. But i've seen their aircraft in MFM at the beginning of this year :) hmmm.. wonder what they were doing in Macau? :nea: :blink:

That should read MFM, not MXM! haha :D

Air Koryo only operates scheduled services to Beijing IIRC.. But i've seen their aircraft in MXM at the beginning of this year hmmm.. wonder what they were doing in Macau?

Glad you found your mistake, was going to TELL it to you Sandeep :p

Anyone fancy going to Pyongyang? I'd actually love to just for a quickie trip, to see what's the real communist state is like. Couple of guys here have done it too. I can only find fragments of that in China nowdays but they are not real. With the recent political situation, it may not be wise to go now.....

Glad you found your mistake, was going to TELL it to you Sandeep :p

Anyone fancy going to Pyongyang? I'd actually love to just for a quickie trip, to see what's the real communist state is like. Couple of guys here have done it too. I can only find fragments of that in China nowdays but they are not real. With the recent political situation, it may not be wise to go now.....

hehehe :) yeah, where is MXM? :)

You wanna go to Pyongyang eh? Yeah, it would be interesting, but I think i'd rather go after the radiation has cleared from whatever response is going to take place... I dun like the developments there.. it feels "icky".. and yes, I learn't that word in Australia! it's a bloody awesome word... oops Off Topic :) sorry Mr. Mod :)

I wonder, does Malaysia have such a list of blacklisted countries/airlines????

Edited by Sandeep G

Any reason for the ban?

Lack of oversight by the respective CAA's is the main problem...

... is it to do with the EUs non recognition of the Civil Aviation authoroties in those countries?

Nail on the head, Sandeep; see also my reply to captain Radzi above...

I guess Air Koryo is banned because it is from a threatening country? And the service record for Air Koryo is unknown?

Nothing to do with the economic ban; it's indeed lack of- or opening of (service) records to the outside world...

I guess I saw the last DSR DC-10-30 freighter (5X-JOE) yesterday at AMS :angry:

Funny to see, she left for LGW, an airport also in the EU :o (maybe the UK is less strict to this (black)list than the Netherlands ? :huh:

Lack of oversight by the respective CAA's is the main problem...

Nail on the head, Sandeep; see also my reply to captain Radzi above...

Nothing to do with the economic ban; it's indeed lack of- or opening of (service) records to the outside world...

I guess I saw the last DSR DC-10-30 freighter (5X-JOE) yesterday at AMS :angry:

Funny to see, she left for LGW, an airport also in the EU :o (maybe the UK is less strict to this (black)list than the Netherlands ? :huh:

9M-MAS (DC10-30) went to DAS air cargo after a stint with World Airways and subsequent sale to Finova Capital (USA) where it was re-registered as N310FV. It was re-registered again to N800WR in Sept 98 and leased to DAS Air Cargo, who subesquently wrote it off on the 5th of January 2000 in Entebbe Uganada...

I had travelled many countless times on 9M-MAS between PER and KUL.. sad to see a beautiful aircraft go this way. Out interest, the 7 remaining DC10s in the DAS fleet are built between 1973 and 1980 and have some interesting sevice records :)

Here some more clarification(s):

Friday October 13, 2006

European Commission updated its list of airlines banned in the EU, adding Kenya's DAS Air Cargo and Uganda's Dairo Air Services due to "the serious safety deficiencies identified in these twin airlines in the last few months," as well as Ariana Afghan Airlines. The EC also banned all 27 companies certified in Kyrgyzstan owing to "the national control authority's inability to supervise them effectively."

Sixty-eight carriers--19 from the Democratic Republic of Congo, 21 from Liberia, 18 from Sierra Leone and 10 from Swaziland--have been removed as they ceased operating because they lost their AOCs. Eight recently created airlines in the DRC have been added. Air Services Comores of Comoros, previously banned outright, now is subject to operational restrictions and will be allowed to operate services bound for Europe with an aircraft recently fitted with appropriate safety equipment. The EC also decided to keep Phuket Air and Air Koryo on the list.

The Commission and the member states' aviation safety experts examined six other individual cases, including Pulkovo Aviation, Pakistan International Airways, Ghana's Johnsons Air and Ajet (the former Helios Airways). It concluded that it did not consider an immediate banning measure was called for on the basis of air safety criteria but stated that it will "be keeping a watchful eye" on those operators' implementation of the corrective action they and their respective national authorities have promised.

I wonder, does Malaysia have such a list of blacklisted countries/airlines????

I don't know but it looks to me that if there's a ban on Malaysian registered a/c or operator. Transmile would be the first....

Their 737-200 Adv and 727-200 Adv is just looks very tired.... like a bomb tick-tocking...

Surely transmile can afford some used 737-300/400 and have it convert to freighters at Subang. Some 757-200s or Tupolev Tu-204s to replace the ageing 727 would be sensible, environmentally and economically.

SV, they've already had problems with their 727 fleet - one had a ruptured fuel tank and near calamity in Sri Lanka??? Somewhere like that.. I think there was even a fire, but they were very lucky! I'm not sure the fate of the aircraft, but i think IIRC, it was damaged beyond repair.

They would really do good with some A310F and A300-600Fs :)

Some more 'news' emerged, why we won't be seeing DAS DC10's in AMS anymore :(

Uganda's Das Air Cargo and Dairo Air Services were banned from flying to countries of the European Union due to lapses in air safety inspection at Entebbe airport, a source with knowledge of local aircraft inspection procedures, has told Sunday Monitor.

The source, who asked not to be further identified, said the alleged laxity of Uganda's Civil Aviation Authority in adhering to flight safety inspection standards is the main cause of the two firms'

predicament. The source said serious problems, including corrosion, were discovered on a Das DC-10 aircraft during a recent random ramp inspection at London's Gatwick Airport.

The source said the discovery was the last straw for European Commission aviation authorities, who had already lodged several complaints with Uganda's CAA. "The latest complaint came two weeks ago and said that flight safety snags at our airport constitute a potential air safety hazard," the source said.

Some of the complaints, the source said, originated from Britain and The Netherlands where Das delivers Ugandan fresh flowers to several airports.

Global body

The International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), the industry's global standards agency, reportedly raised additional complaints.

Uganda's CAA is a member of the ICAO. "ICAO discovered inadequate record-keeping, poor oversight of aircraft safety and lapses in inspections and surveillance" the source said.

Uganda and several other countries have reportedly failed to implement the latest aviation safety regulations, including ICAO's Model Civil Aviation Regulations, the minimum standard adopted by its members.

Dairo Air managing director Daisy Roy, co-owner of the companies with her husband, Flight Capt. Joe Roy Ziwa, told Sunday Monitor she would seek help from the Ugandan government to resolve the problem. She said she had been due to meet with aviation officials at the European Commission in Brussels last week. If the October 16 ban is maintained, Das will have to buy or lease new planes.

Das owns or leases six DC-10-30F cargo aircraft. The last DC-10 was manufactured in 1989. Of the 446 aircraft manufactured since 1971,

174 were still in operation as of August, according to the online encyclopedia, Wikipedia.

The European Commission previously banned 68 African carriers. The October 16 list, drawn up by the commission in cooperation with the

25 EU member states, updates a June list, and also includes carriers in Afghanistan and the Kyrgyz Republic. The original blacklist came out in March.

We now see regular POT An124's doing the EBB-AMS v.v. flower runs :yahoo:

Well, I guess the random inspection of the DAS bird at Gatwick was a good thing... the last thing you need is a corroded DC-10 with several other defficiencies crashing into suburbs around some of Europes biggest and busiest airports..

But on the upside, you have regular An124s! Nothing to complain about there! :D

Phuket air IIRC is planning a relaunch.. maybe they have a new financial backer!?!??

Quiete a lot of Congo airlines in the blacklist!!!! :blink: Why they ban and list up?

Same reason, and a lot of (domestic) flights are operate by obscure Russian and Unkranian aircraft/crews :o

Hi...

Sorry if this topic has been discussed somewhere. if it does, please direct me to it. if hasnt, this is what i wish to ask:

I always loved photos taken by Sam Chui on A.net. Today when browsing for his latest photos, i came across this one:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1163565/L/

The remarks stated that: "Now banned in Europe ... "

What really happened actually?

Edited by Yusoff

fprobally due to sound of the older 747? well ive heard tat PIA leased a Malaysia T7 during December 06 season though.. :)

I don't know exact reasons, but PIA's entire fleet of 747's (all 200/300 series) have been banned from operating in EU countries. I believe this was due to a defect being found on atleast 1 in the fleet.

Dang! Pity PIA.. Thanks Liam. So how does PIA cope with this? Has the ban been lifted up yet?

Sign in to follow this