MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Mushrif A

Were MH 772 modified to accomodate more cargo?

Based on the article below, 3 MH 772s were modified on trial basis to provide more cargo belly space by removing the "aero cabins". Does this refer to the cabin crew rest cabin below deck in the centre of the fuselage?

If so, presumably, this should be alright with relatively sort flights like to Narita, Shanghai, HKG or Mumbai where some seats are sufficient for cabin crew to rest. Can anybody confirm?

MASkargo to maintain tonnage

By Jimmy Yeow

Email us your feedback at fd@bizedge.com

Malaysia Airlines Cargo Sdn Bhd (MASkargo) expects to maintain its cargo tonnage at the MAS Advanced Cargo Centre next year despite a drop in belly space capacity.

MASkargo senior general manager Datuk J J Ong said the centre at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport is expected to handle about 680,000 tonnes of cargo.

Belly capacity fell 8% this year following a route rationalisation programme in 2006.

Ong said the shortfall in capacity from passenger planes would be mitigated by new freighter destinations such as Malpensa in Italy, and Guangzhou in China.

Additionally, two bigger capacity B747-400Fs joined its fleet in March and May this year.

It now operates two B747-400Fs and four B747-200Fs, with a capacity of 120 tonnes and 100 tonnes each, respectively.

MAS passenger aircraft account for 55% of the freight volume handled by MASkargo.

Ong expects next year to be tough for MASkargo due to the drop in capacity and competition from Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines, which are buying both passenger aircraft and freighters.

“We will continue to focus on our niche markets — Europe, Australiasia and greater China,” he told FinancialDaily in an interview recently.

Ong said MAS’ decision to maintain its Kuala Lumpur-Stockholm-Newark route beyond Jan 15 upon request by the government bodes well for MASkargo.

“We will maintain the 40 tonnes of cargo space from the three flights a week on that busy route. We do not have trouble filling up the plane for the Asia-Europe-US routes,” he said.

On top of that, the removal of aero cabins on three of MAS’ B777-200 aircraft on a trial basis will create an additional 2.5 tonnes of cargo space.

“We reaped an average of RM1 million revenue on the three planes per month since the trial began three months ago. We will evaluate whether to modify more aircraft after the trial period,” Ong said.

Ong said MASkargo is on track to achieve its revised forecast of RM150 million profit this year, beating its earlier projection of RM107 million by a wide margin.

He said: “We have already exceeded the RM107 million profit target as of the third quarter this year and should be on track to achieve our revised RM150 million profit, as the fourth quarter is our busiest period.”

The bigger capacity, more fuel-efficient B747-400Fs and the handling of higher yield cargo will drive earnings, he added.

That's interesting! I think the importance of MASKargo is really starting to make heads turn in top level management. Mushrif, at the same time you were posting this, I posted the opdata for October for MAS, and the front runner in terms of operational performance, definately appears to be MASKargo!

Based on the article below, 3 MH 772s were modified on trial basis to provide more cargo belly space by removing the "aero cabins". Does this refer to the cabin crew rest cabin below deck in the centre of the fuselage?

Yes.. It is. We call it Lower Lobe Attendant Rest or LLAR..

Yes.. It is. We call it Lower Lobe Attendant Rest or LLAR..

This facility comes in the form of a "container" sort of thing correct?

MASkargo maybe trying it out first and if they like it (I sure they will) they might think of buying the B777F (I hope so) ;) :mellow:

Edited by Andrew Ong

MASkargo maybe trying it out first and if they like it (I sure they will) they might think of buying the B777F (I hope so) ;) :mellow:

:huh: :huh: :huh:

I think you may be a little confused there Andrew :D

They are removing 3 LLARs from 3 772s in order to "free-up" belly space on the pax aircraft and thus permit MASKargo to send a couple of extra pallets aboard pax flights. This is needed because MAS has reduced it's widebody fleet size and thus available belly space for utilisation by MASKargo has also reduced aboard these pax flights.

But yes, would be nice to see a few 77Fs in MASKargo livery

I second Andrew. We might see MH order some 77F, especially since MH start to see some profit. Cargo market is huge for MH, so more freight order could be possible, but again I reckon that MH will replace their aging 737 first than the F.

I second Andrew. We might see MH order some 77F, especially since MH start to see some profit. Cargo market is huge for MH, so more freight order could be possible, but again I reckon that MH will replace their aging 737 first than the F.

At least the 737 fleet is flown by Malaysians... 2/3 of MASKargo's fleet (i.e. the B742s on lease from AirAtlanta Icelandic) are flown by foreign crews and cost more to operate.

More Malaysian owned Freighters would be the way to go! 77Fs, 74Fs, even possibly the A33F which is being launched/ in development stage by Airbus. 77F has more capacity though.

but again I reckon that MH will replace their aging 737 first than the F.

And that one is looooooooooooong overdue ! 3x of the 4x daily flights to BKK are now operated by 734 :( Really hope they will order some new birds soon.

And why not try for 747 LCF while their at it :p . or convert some current MH pax 747 fleet to cargo. I read some where that MH 747 utilisation is under 70% as compared to 777 more than 85%.

And why not try for 747 LCF while their at it :p . or convert some current MH pax 747 fleet to cargo. I read some where that MH 747 utilisation is under 70% as compared to 777 more than 85%.

This would make sense and the idea has definately been mooted around here at MWings.com, however, we are talking about an airline that surpasses "expectations" here, aren't we. :D

This facility comes in the form of a "container" sort of thing correct?

Yes.. It's a container.. LD3 if I'm not mistaken.. Located inside aft cargo compartment and accessible through an entrance at door 3R area and hatch on the floor.

IPB Image

IPB Image

This one shows the interior of the bunk with the aft section removed. The stairs leads to the main cabin.

IPB Image

The crew bunk is a requirement for long haul flights, where the cabin crew will have some horizontal rest. However not all flights are long distance; therefore the LLAR is not required for those flights. So might as well remove them and use the space for more cargo.

Thanks for the shots Samsyuri! That's a great perspective of something I always visualised but never actually seen. Out of interest, the access to the cabin from the LLAR is via a hatch in the ground?? Whereabouts - the Central/fwd or aft galley?

Thanks for the shots Samsyuri! That's a great perspective of something I always visualised but never actually seen. Out of interest, the access to the cabin from the LLAR is via a hatch in the ground?? Whereabouts - the Central/fwd or aft galley?

The hatch leads to a normal door (at cabin level, just like a lavatory door) located on the starboard side of the centre galley area.

Ok, ok...let me dispell some rumours and confusion here.

The crew rest facility on MH 772's take up one pallet position, 31P for those who know MH hold positions. It is basically an AMF container (same floor area as pallet but is containerised). FWIW new build 777's are now using an overhead rest area located above the area F class is normally located.

When I was last working on MASkargo, I asked the loadmaster what the future plans were for the freight fleet. The DCA has advised MAS that it has approx 2yrs before they want the 742F's to be replaced, due to age, hence fatigue, safety etc. MAS had hoped to secure some 772LRF's to replace at least some of them (they actually have a higher payload that 742F) however Air Atlanta had secured long term contracts for them before they had even put pen to paper at Boeing! This again shows 1, how brilliant the 777 is, but more importantly that MAS management is starting to step forward. As such, Air Atlanta loadmasters have started courses (in SIN) on the 744BCF as this is expected to be atleast in the short term a replacement for the aging 742's.

FWIW new build 777's are now using an overhead rest area located above the area F class is normally located.

And also above the EY. It's either near door 3 or 4 on the 772 & door 4 or 5 on the 77W.

Sign in to follow this