MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

Near retirement aircraft - catch them while they are still flying

Always wanted to create a post where it notifies fellow members of which airlines' type about to be retired, whether we are still able to catch them on which route.

I will make a start:

Thai Airways A340-600 (To be retired by 28/3/2015)

Routes: BKK-SIN, BKK-ZRH, BKK-FRA, BKK-SYD

Out of service: HS-TNE

http://centreforaviation.com/news/thai-airways-accelerates-a340-600-retirement-to-28-mar-2015-418587

Thai Airways B747-400 (to be retired soon)

Routes: BKK-HKG, BKK-LHR, BKK-SYD, BKK-MXP, BKK-NRT, BKK-FCO

Cathay Pacfic A340-300 (to be retired by Feb 2017)

Routes: HKG-AKL, HKG-TPE, HKG-KUL, HKG-PVG, HKG-NGO, HKG-DME, HKG-ICN, HKG-BKK, HKG-CEB, HKG-MNL, HKG-CGK

Out of service: B-HXB, B-HXH

http://www.mro-network.com/news/2015/03/aerfin-wins-cathay-pacific-a340-contract/4988

Cathay Pacific B747-400 (to be fullyretired in 2015?)

Routes: HKG-HND, HKG-TPE, HKG-CTS

Remaining Aircraft: B-HUI (-467), B-HKT(-412)

LAN Chile A340-300 for (by April 2015)

Route: SCL-AKL-SYD

Remaining Aircraft: CC-CQA, CC-CQC, CC-CQF

Out of service: CC-CQB, CC-CQD, CC-CQE, CC-CQG

To be replaced by B787-8 from April 2015

If you come across any, please put it here. Thanks :)

Have always wanted to catch Thai's A346, but there were no opportunities to do so.

Closest I got was their -500 series (really not complaining) at LAX.

16766949946_a2c442f48c_c.jpg

HS-TLD

Have always wanted to catch Thai's A346, but there were no opportunities to do so.

Closest I got was their -500 series (really not complaining) at LAX.

16766949946_a2c442f48c_c.jpg

HS-TLD

Still have time to do that (by end of this month). Hop on to TG414/ 413 from SIN to BKK.

TG A345 are fine birds too. Both A345/ A346 are just literally young adults that died at a young age :(

Eva Air B747-400M (Combi, retired Jan 2015)

Official Retirement Video:

Eva Air B747-400 (full pax. version to be retired in 2016)

Number of aircraft in fleet: 3

Eva Air MD-90-30 (retired by 2016)

Retirement: 3x in 2014, 3x in 2015 and 3x in 2016

Route: TPE-HKG, TPE-MFM

Edited by S V Choong

Iran Air B747SP-38 is still plying Tehran to Kuala Lumpur and Beijing. Was rumoured to have stopped earlier but didn't happened.

Edited by JuliusWong

Iran Air B747SP-38 is still plying Tehran to Kuala Lumpur and Beijing. Was rumoured to have stopped earlier but didn't happened.

Heard only EP-IAC is flying and it will be gone in a month or so!?

They must have run out of aircraft they can use. Is their 727-200 Adv still flying?

Edited by S V Choong

Still have time to do that (by end of this month). Hop on to TG414/ 413 from SIN to BKK.

TG A345 are fine birds too. Both A345/ A346 are just literally young adults that died at a young age :(

Fine birds indeed. With the birth of great jets like the 777, the quad jet days are slowly diminishing.

Nepal Airlines B757-200 and B757-200M (the only Combi 757 in the world). Usually seen at KLIA.

Are they near retirement? Royal Nepal is rated to be one of the most dangerous airlines to fly with? Anyone been on Royal Nepal Airlines yet?

For those booking CX with the intention of being on an A343, be reminded that there's a decent chance it'll be swapped with an A330 at the last minute for regional routes.

For those booking CX with the intention of being on an A343, be reminded that there's a decent chance it'll be swapped with an A330 at the last minute for regional routes.

Booked on CX468 from HKG to TPE last year when the system was showing 744. Latest equipment on the system is showing a 343 on that flight, thats the first CXed I have for this flight. But I don't mind, since it is a 4 holer to 4 holer swap. Just need to pray very hard that they don't CXed me at the very last minute to a 333! If they do, it will be a double CXed... :(

Edited by S V Choong

Booked on CX468 from HKG to TPE last year when the system was showing 744. Latest equipment on the system is showing a 343 on that flight, thats the first CXed I have for this flight. But I don't mind, since it is a 4 holer to 4 holer swap. Just need to pray very hard that they don't CXed me at the very last minute to a 333! If they do, it will be a double CXed... :(

HKG TPE is by far the most famous for swaps - they can do this literally up to the last minute.

The only one guaranteed you'll get the long haul product is long haul routes. Short haul is better to go genting and gamble :p

Austrian Airlines Fokker 70 and Fokker 100. All to be replaced by ERJ-195 from Lufthansa Cityline by the end of this year.

VN still flying their F70, and I think swiss is replacing their Bae146 with Bombardier.

With the birth of great jets like the 777, the quad jet days are slowly diminishing.

I'm certain the Airbus people will strongly disagree there :)

HKG TPE is by far the most famous for swaps - they can do this literally up to the last minute.

That would really worry me, for I would probably be queuing up at aerobridge already :D

No, don't get on this plane, we're swapping for another ........ :lol:

Don't think they do it too often even at Puduraya

Edited by BC Tam

VN still flying their F70, and I think swiss is replacing their Bae146 with Bombardier.

I thought VN had retired the last F70 ? With OS retiring their F70 and F100, I think KLM Cityhopper will be the only one to continue operating the F70 for a few more years.

Yes, LX will be replacing the Bae146 with CS100. Currently they have 30 CS100 on firm order.

^ Yes that's correct, VN has already retired their last F70's last year. Routes now flown by ATR's or upgauged to A321's. VN might need to look at getting some A320NEO's, the A321's may be too large for some domestic and regional markets - I believe VN has some 55 A321's in its fleet!

Are they near retirement? Royal Nepal is rated to be one of the most dangerous airlines to fly with? Anyone been on Royal Nepal Airlines yet?

I hope that they are a little safer now, they have just started to receive their order of A320 (sharklet) aircrafts from Airbus to replace their ageing and pretty much broken 757 fleet.

I thought VN had retired the last F70 ? With OS retiring their F70 and F100, I think KLM Cityhopper will be the only one to continue operating the F70 for a few more years.

Yes, LX will be replacing the Bae146 with CS100. Currently they have 30 CS100 on firm order.

Saw their F70 or F100 in Hanoi last year (Feb 2014), they were still flying! One of our fellow members did a trip report on it too.

That would really worry me, for I would probably be queuing up at aerobridge already :D

No, don't get on this plane, we're swapping for another ........ :lol:

Don't think they do it too often even at Puduraya

Susan is right, one of my rides with CX (HKG-PVG) last year was booked into the 333. I didn't mind it as I have only been on CX 333 once (KUL-HKG). So I went to check in online and there were no indications whether it was still a 333.... when I got to the gate, a CX 343 parked at the gate. :air_kiss:

VN retired both their F-70 last year quietly and both are rumoured to be bought by an Indonesia based airline, can't recall its name now. VN also retire all their A320 to concentrate on A321 fleet, they have to be the largest A321 operator, maybe outside of China of course.

As for Nepal Airlines, there is no official indication if they are retiring their B757 but those ancient B757 it definitely worth a ride compared to recently refurbished KC B757. Sam Chui, the prominent aviation geek did a flight with them recently on 757. Those cabins are a blast from the past! :)

VN retired both their F-70 last year quietly and both are rumoured to be bought by an Indonesia based airline, can't recall its name now. VN also retire all their A320 to concentrate on A321 fleet, they have to be the largest A321 operator, maybe outside of China of course.

As for Nepal Airlines, there is no official indication if they are retiring their B757 but those ancient B757 it definitely worth a ride compared to recently refurbished KC B757. Sam Chui, the prominent aviation geek did a flight with them recently on 757. Those cabins are a blast from the past! :)

Julius, is it possible to provide us with the link of Sam Chui's Royal Nepal B757 flight report? Would love to read it in details. Cheers mate!

Julius, is it possible to provide us with the link of Sam Chui's Royal Nepal B757 flight report? Would love to read it in details. Cheers mate!

S V Choong, he didn't do a trip report, Rather just a Photo Album in his FB page. This is the link: https://www.facebook.com/samchuiphoto/media_set?set=a.10153061474077597.1073741893.681182596&type=1&pnref=story

Wanna read my report? It's from a time when i used to write reports. :p

Sign in to follow this