Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.

Photo

Singapore Plans to Build Terminal 4 at Changi

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 Alif A. F.

Alif A. F.
  • Platinum Member
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

The problem with technology - with rigid programming comes an inflexible approach to customer service.. checking in at T1 using one of these automated bag drop machines, three items of luggage to check in weighing precisely 25kg, and 25kg of allowance.. the first item registered as 4.5kg... sent it through and the machine then asks for the second item, however displaying that 5kg of the 25kg is used.. second item placed on belt at 7.5kg as displayed by the machine itself... machine processes and then registers this for 8kg! So now, 13kgs of the 25kg used, with 1kg in rounding errors.. fine.. third bag weighs in at 12.7kg.... machine now refuses to process - "you have 1kg excess baggage - unable to check in, repack and try again"...... asking for assistance was useless - the attendant remarked - yah, u must pay at the other side - I cannot override the machine... disgruntled I went to the manned counter, queued again and told him the debacle.. very simply he checked my luggage through and I thanked him for his common sense approach.

So basically the machine round up the weight to nearest integer number. I think it should be tweaked to read until two decimal places.

#82 jahur

jahur
  • Gold Member
  • 649 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

The problem with technology - with rigid programming comes an inflexible approach to customer service.. checking in at T1 using one of these automated bag drop machines, three items of luggage to check in weighing precisely 25kg, and 25kg of allowance.. the first item registered as 4.5kg... sent it through and the machine then asks for the second item, however displaying that 5kg of the 25kg is used.. second item placed on belt at 7.5kg as displayed by the machine itself... machine processes and then registers this for 8kg! So now, 13kgs of the 25kg used, with 1kg in rounding errors.. fine.. third bag weighs in at 12.7kg.... machine now refuses to process - "you have 1kg excess baggage - unable to check in, repack and try again"...... asking for assistance was useless - the attendant remarked - yah, u must pay at the other side - I cannot override the machine... disgruntled I went to the manned counter, queued again and told him the debacle.. very simply he checked my luggage through and I thanked him for his common sense approach.

The machines took longer, were very sensitive to people or items being close by and frankly have zero flexibility... combine hat with staff that do not have a customer centric approach to their job and you have a recipe for tension - which soon transpired so it would seem with a local Singaporean after we had finished checking in..

Very normal in IT when u have automated interline gds and unified system from ground up to baggage handling but hardware itself is unable to cope. The baggage weighting system have different subclasses and requires constant calibration by authorized programmer. I believe some of the pax bag have been weight wrongly by thin margin because of this. Thats why airport terminals in europe have the system separated with different OS and hardware but efficiency drawback is a concern and backup costs and transit passengers worse nightmare.

#83 Chris Tan

Chris Tan
  • Gold Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:17 PM

I recently flew out from KUL via SIN and the comparison is simple :

SIN indeed is a good place for long layover, it is a very lively and clean airport. Unlike KUL which is quiet but boring.

The only downside I could find with SIN is it is too big an airport for flights with short connection time especially when it involves change of terminal. My connection time in SIN was around 1 hr and I could only merely make it to the gate on time after running at Usain Bolt 100m speed. My baggage couldn't make it though.

And you don't need to wait 30-45 minutes for bags at SIN, despite being bigger and busier ;)

#84 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

And you don't need to wait 30-45 minutes for bags at SIN, despite being bigger and busier ;)

Believe sin target to have last bag on belt in 20 minutes.

At kul t1 and t2, first bag on belt is 30 and 40 minutes on average respectively.

Edited by KK Lee, 13 August 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#85 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

Lets not get too out of topic by comparing KUL to SIN - they are in different class anyway, that is why SIN is the preferred airport for most discerning travellers.

T4 is now a beta tester for T5 - whatever lessons learnt at T4 will be applied to T5. Whatever that failed will be dropped and new solutions found for T5.

#86 Craig

Craig
  • Silver Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 11:17 PM

I don't know if this is an exception, but my bags were waiting for me on my last flight into KUL T1 (no immigration delays and flight landed before STA) *surprised emoji*

#87 Mushrif A

Mushrif A
  • Platinum Member
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:54 AM

I don't know if this is an exception, but my bags were waiting for me on my last flight into KUL T1 (no immigration delays and flight landed before STA) *surprised emoji*

There are a number of variables at play; where the plane is parked, narrow body vs widebody, foreign passport queues vs Msian queues ...

#88 Craig

Craig
  • Silver Member
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:24 AM

There are a number of variables at play; where the plane is parked, narrow body vs widebody, foreign passport queues vs Msian queues ...

Parked at the H gates, narrow body and Malaysian queue. Hence more of an exception since I was at the baggage claim in about 15 mins max.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users