MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Irni Mastura

Aviation: Facts and Trivia

Not keen to put this up in Golden Lounge, as this topic does relates to General Aviation. Am keen though to place it here to lighten up the serious atmosphere lately :) (Plus I still can't sleep at this hour... and have to go to work in few hours time, bah..) :pardon:

Okay, I have few trivia questions to place here, and although I have a fascinating book to answer me, I'd like to read how you experienced aviation enthusiasts would answer them. And maybe later share with you what I have too.

Oh, feel free to add your trivia questions too! I'm sure you have at least one up your sleeves. Spread the love!

Hehe.. I'll start with a question which led me to buy this book of trivia :p :pardon:

• Why most pilots aren't allowed to have beards?

• The world's longest commercial flight is held by what airline, which type of aircraft, and from where to where?

• Which (now-defunct) airline called their flight attendants hosties and dressed them in eye-popping outfits designed somewhat akin to what a James Bond girl would wear?

Okay, three is enough for today. Will add more tomorrow!

• Which (now-defunct) airline called their flight attendants hosties and dressed them in eye-popping outfits designed somewhat akin to what a James Bond girl would wear?

I know this!

It was Hooters Air!! Now only the restaurants survived...

Who could forget such a thing... hehehee :p

hootersair.jpg

Ahahaha... sorry Yusoff, I missed the fact that Hooters Air even existed! :lol:

Anyway, here are the answers:

• Why most pilots aren't allowed to have beards?

Typically, they aren't allowed to have beards. Not because of style, but because it can hinder oxygen mask from fitting tightly enough if the cabin pressure dropped suddenly. Also, if one pilot want to use the toilet, the other pilot has to put his oxygen mask on, also in case the cabin pressure drops when alone in the cockpit (this I didn't know..).

• The world's longest commercial flight is held by what airline, which type of aircraft, and from where to where?

If what I have are right, its Singapore Airlines flight SQ20, an Airbus A340-500 from SIN to LAX. Flight takes 16 hours flying to USA and 18 hours back, spanning over 14,080 km.

Answers may varies :lol: but what I have is Braniff Airlines in the '60s. The uniforms were from an Italian fashion designer named Emilio Pucci, thus the stewardess were sometime called Puccis Galore. If I'm not mistaken, a couple of years after the fad began, the book memoir of two airline stewardess came about. It's title; "Coffee, tea, or me?".. and was considered somewhat racy in the 60s era :p

Anyway.. here's a few more:

• As a commercial airline passenger, what is the easiest way to tell the year the airplane you are boarding was built?

• Why do all commercial aircrafts are boarded from the left?

• If everyone on an airplane jumped into the air at the same time, would the airplane get lighter?

^_^

[*]As a commercial airline passenger, what is the easiest way to tell the year the airplane you are boarding was built?

By asking the pilot? :)

anyhow irni..i gave up thinkin 'bout your Qs..tho i'm eager to know the answers.. :lazy:

Top 3 longest direct route pairs

NZ: AKL-LAX-LHR

JL: NRT-JFK-GRU

BA+QF: SYD-SIN-LHR

Top 3 longest non-stop route pairs

SQ: SIN-EWR

SQ: SIN-LAX

TG: BKK-JFK

Also, if one pilot want to use the toilet, the other pilot has to put his oxygen mask on, also in case the cabin pressure drops when alone in the cockpit (this I didn't know..)

Not true. Shoulder belt, yes, but not oxygen mask.

BTW, passangers boarded from the left because the door on the right is smaller and a passanger might hit his/her head to the top of the door.

Or, passangers board from the left because the captain sit on the left. Therefore the captain can look at the pretty girls boarding while the copilot who sit on the right can look at the catering truck, fuel truck and the cargo handlers..... :rofl:

By asking the pilot? :)

:lol: I thought someone might answer like this ^_^

Top 3 longest direct route pairs

NZ: AKL-LAX-LHR

JL: NRT-JFK-GRU

BA+QF: SYD-SIN-LHR

Huwaa... didn't know that. Thanks Keno, for the info!

Not true. Shoulder belt, yes, but not oxygen mask.

Ah... so desune.. I see. I thought that's the reason why TK wore his mask in his avatar! :p

Or, passangers board from the left because the captain sit on the left. Therefore the captain can look at the pretty girls boarding while the copilot who sit on the right can look at the catering truck, fuel truck and the cargo handlers..... :rofl:

Aih Capt, Capt... :rofl: no comment... That's why I always finish my paper work fast! So that I can join, you looking at the girls. :D

Oh-kay, before anyone else gets sleepier, its time for the answers ^_^

• As a commercial airline passenger, what is the easiest way to tell the year the airplane you are boarding was built?

Yes, asking someone who knows might be the easiest :p but if you are shy, you can always check the little metal registration plate above or on the side of the open door. This plate often tells you what year the airplane was built.

• Why do all commercial aircrafts are boarded from the left?

Ahaha.. perhaps as Capt Radzi has said, for the viewing pleasure of the captain :lol: Actually.. I'm not sure that this is the correct answer, but according to this book I have, 'Some historians have linked this convention to the custom of mounting horses from the left side (which may have started when soldiers had swords hanging along their left legs). It would be incredibly difficult to change this arrangement because all airports are designed around this configuration.'

• If everyone on an airplane jumped into the air at the same time, would the airplane get lighter?

Hm.. it should be the opposite. Basic physic, the third Newton law - every action there is an equal and opposite reaction - means that the action of jumping actually force the plane downward slightly, thus making it weightier momentarily.

Hmm.. maybe trivia is not as popular as I thought, but I'd like to add a few more :D

• Hai... since I've asked the longest flight, now how about the shortest flight? Hint, it's just 2 minutes long.

• We know helicopters can lift directly up off the ground. How about jet airplane?

• Why do captain and his first officer eat different meal during flight? e.g. one might take the fish set, the other chicken set. (answer may varies :) )

[*]We know helicopters can lift directly up off the ground. How about jet airplane?

[*]Why do captain and his first officer eat different meal during flight? e.g. one might take the fish set, the other chicken set. (answer may varies :) )

1. VTOL jets can go straight up.

2. To prevent food poisoning inflicting both pilots (should one of the food type is contaminated and eaten by both of them), thus nobody to fly the aircraft safely. However I wonder what if one of the pilots think the meal he / she should eat is unpalatable, and wants to eat the same as what his / her colleague is having?? Wait and see if the other has no ill-effects eating after a reasonable amount of time?

Edited by Rozhan

how about the shortest flight? Hint, it's just 2 minutes long.

i know i know... it's between 2 adjacent islands in orkney in northern scotland. cant remember the names. i stumbled upon orkney's tourism website when i was planning a trip to scotland 2 years ago.

..... the captain sit on the left. Therefore the captain can look at the pretty girls boarding .....

Another 'check-list' to go through eh captain ?! :p

i know i know... it's between 2 adjacent islands in orkney in northern scotland. cant remember the names. i stumbled upon orkney's tourism website when i was planning a trip to scotland 2 years ago.

Full details here http://www.alanmoar.flyer.co.uk/orkney/Sho...ht/shortest.htm

Logan Air schedule (see Friday) http://www.loganair.co.uk/xtra%20files/OrkneyTimetable.pdf

Groundtrack.jpg

Edited by Keno Omar

Now why would you even bother :p

It's just like Labuan-KK, just take the ferry! It would certainly be cheaper (although I haven't tried before). Guess the islands doesn't have naval access.

Yay.. all three questions were answered correctly, woohoo! :clapping:

• Hai... since I've asked the longest flight, now how about the shortest flight? Hint, it's just 2 minutes long.

zaki almost got it but Keno got the answer right! Thanks for the picture, it does help a lot to diminsh my own doubts! :lol: The shortest flight in the world is British Airways' twice daily Flight 872 between Westray and Papa Westray, Scotland.

• We know helicopters can lift directly up off the ground. How about jet airplane?

Rozhan got this right! :D VTOLs (Vertical Take Off and Landing aircrafts) can lift straight up from the ground, just like helicopters too. An example is the Hawker Harrier jet, which can direct its high-thrust exhaust downward and literally pushes the aircraft straight up. It can also direct the air forward in order to fly backward.

• Why do captain and his first officer eat different meal during flight? e.g. one might take the fish set, the other chicken set. (answer may varies :) )

Again Rozhan got this right :good: This is to avoid both getting sick due to food poisoning ;)

Okay... here's some more:

• Identify the below image (parts of an aircraft) and state what it is used for. Hint: Wings!

2353024090102624702S425x425Q85.jpg

• What is the fastest airplane ever flown? Hint: Mach 6.7.

• What do you get when a jet airplane, flying at 41,000 ft, completely runs out of fuel? Hint: No one onboard was injured during the landing, and the aircraft is still in use!

^_^

• Identify the below image (parts of an aircraft) and state what it is used for. Hint: Wings!

2353024090102624702S425x425Q85.jpg

• What is the fastest airplane ever flown? Hint: Mach 6.7.

• What do you get when a jet airplane, flying at 41,000 ft, completely runs out of fuel? Hint: No one onboard was injured during the landing, and the aircraft is still in use!
^_^

1. Static wicks

2. North American X-15

3. Gimli Glider

The world's longest commercial flight is held by what airline, which type of aircraft, and from where to where?

I think CX's HKG-JFK also qualify to be part of the gang. 8,072 miles each way. The longest is undoubtedly SQ's SIN-EWR at 9,535 miles each way.

As a commercial airline passenger, what is the easiest way to tell the year the airplane you are boarding was built?

Yes, asking someone who knows might be the easiest :p but if you are shy, you can always check the little metal registration plate above or on the side of the open door. This plate often tells you what year the airplane was built.

For me the easiest way is to jot down the aircraft's registration number and check it out later on at www.airfleets.net. The website is like a registrar of all aircrafts ever existed. For one particular registration number, one can get the following information (using MH's A333 9M-MKJ as an exhibit):

9MMKJ.jpg

For me the easiest way is to jot down the aircraft's registration number and check it out later on at www.airfleets.net. The website is like a registrar of all aircrafts ever existed.

Very very interesting. Thanks Azizul! :good:

want to ask about the window cover especially for ak flight , why they need us to open the window cover before landing ???

thanks

want to ask about the window cover especially for ak flight , why they need us to open the window cover before landing ???

thanks

so that in the event anything unfortunate happens, folks outside can look in for survivors.

Sign in to follow this