MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Keith T

Singapore Airlines unveils a new era of air travel

Singapore Airlines today unveiled its new generation cabin products. Note though, that the F cabin on the A380 will only be unveiled at a later date. The refreshed F cabin on the 77W is only a teaser of what's to come. ;)

Cool features include:

- Only 8 F seats in the new 77W

- The widest full flat J seat in the industry. Further, these seats will all be forward-facing, and arranged in a 1-2-1 configuration.

- New generation Krisworld in all classes, includes word processing capabilities and USB ports.

- Seat-back handsets in Y. No mention of fixed seat back in Y though. :(

- Givency products in all classes.

More details here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613639

Pic of the F cabin on the 77W:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3379/sianewfpu2.jpg

Will put up more pics when I can find them. Strangely, their website has not yet been updated.

Edited by Keith T

Singapore Airlines today unveiled its new generation cabin products. Note though, that the F cabin on the A380 will only be unveiled at a later date. ;)

More details here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613639

Pic of the F cabin on the 77W:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3379/sianewfpu2.jpg

Will put up more pics when I can find them. Strangely, their website has not yet been updated.

SIA is getting the message of luxury; I mean, providing their passengers with products, they are following Virgin Atlantic Airways's program, even though SQ owns 65% of VS :o . Thank for the info Keith :lol:

SIA is getting the message of luxury; I mean, providing their passengers with products, they are following Virgin Atlantic Airways's program, even though SQ owns 65% of VS :o . Thank for the info Keith :lol:

But unlike VS Upper Class, all of SQ's J seats will be forward facing. ;)

Edited by Keith T

But unlike VS Upper Class, all of SQ's J seats will be forward facing. ;)

What I mean is that SQ is offering First, Raffles, and Economy Class with cosmetics and products, just like VS.

Andrew, where'd you hear 65%.. I think its only a 49% stake.. any more infringes upon foreign ownership laws.

My my, now this is product innovation.. but the more gadgets, the more problems. Let's see how the frequent flyers (like our good buddy Keith here) feel about the new features!

Like the idea of putting the remote/phone on the seatback! - that's far more comfortable, and you won't accidentally switch off your movie during the best bits when you move in your seat!

interesting to note the use of motifs and the colours for the respective classes of First, Raffles and Exonomy are the same used by MAS.... hmmmm...

holy crap... 30" or 35" seat width for Biz/First class passenges respectively...... wow! but would that be comfortable? you would have nowhere to rest one arm during take-off/landing etc... or at any stage really.. Personally, I like having an armrest on both sides

But still, it looks fantastic!

Edited by Sandeep G

What I mean is that SQ is offering First, Raffles, and Economy Class with cosmetics and products, just like VS.

Ahh gotcha now. :)

Still no amenity kit for Business Class though. :(

And I hate to say it but although First and Business look amazing and definitely one up the competitors, CX's economy still seems superior. Stylish new dining ware in Y though. :)

And oh, it's 'Raffles Class' no longer. Simply plain old 'Business Class' now.

Official word is that 'Raffles Class' confuses passengers. But I think it's because the new CEO doesn't like names. I can understand the removal of names like 'Megatop' and 'Jubilee' as they just sound naff but evidently he has no clue about branding and the huge brand equity 'Raffles Class' has. What is the marketing department smoking?? I mean, we might as well replace 'Silver Kris Lounge' with 'Lounge', 'Singapore Girl' with 'flight attendant' or even 'Singapore Airlines' with 'Airline.' SQ fans who feel the same about this 'enhancement' should fire off angry emails to contacts provided. The SQ crew members on MW: your opinions please? ;)

On the bright side:

These products will be progressively made available on SIA's new B777-300ER services between Singapore and Paris, Milan and Barcelona, as well as selected flights to Korea, Melbourne, San Francisco and Shanghai.
:yahoo: Edited by Keith T

And oh, it's 'Raffles Class' no longer. Simply plain old 'Business Class' now.

Official word is that 'Raffles Class' confuses passengers. But I think it's because the new CEO doesn't like names. I can understand the removal of names like 'Megatop' and 'Jubilee' as they just sound naff but evidently he has no clue about branding and the huge brand equity 'Raffles Class' has. I mean, we might as well replace 'Silver Kris Lounge' with 'Lounge', 'Singapore Girl' with 'flight attendant' or even 'Singapore Airlines' with 'Airline.' SQ fans who feel the same about this 'enhancement' should fire off angry emails to contacts provided. The SQ crew members on MW: your opinions please? ;)

Yes, well SIA is built upon branding and the changing of the guard and subsequent "modifications" to the image of SIA have turned some stomachs down south. Why change something that you know already sells... product development and technology wise however, SIA is leading the way! We await to see what emirates has to offer, and even MAS to that effect.

holy crap... 30" or 35" seat width for Biz/First class passenges respectively...... wow! but would that be comfortable? you would have nowhere to rest one arm during take-off/landing etc... or at any stage really.. Personally, I like having an armrest on both sides

But still, it looks fantastic!

Yeah the J seat is huge hey. Like a lot of current F offerings I reckon. :)

Yeah the J seat is huge hey. Like a lot of current F offerings I reckon. :)

Well, oversize individuals will like this seat :) especially the Sumos! hahaha maybe SQ won the contract for transportation of Sumos worldwide and hence, the development of this seat! :pardon:

Edited by Sandeep G

Their current CEO (Mr. Chew) is taller and more handsome compared to the previous one (Mr. Cheong). Chew's background is engineering, well maybe that's the reason why he lack of artistic touch (boring engineer :D, opps sorry if there's any engineer out there)

They should get some big size stocky model (successful businessman looking) to sit in the business class. Those tall slim models who hardly occupied half of the space just make the seat looks funny. Just wondering since their seat is so wide, are they gonna have 'couples' promotion - 2 for the seat of 1 and you can do whatever you want with your partner :drinks:

Edited by Seng Lim

To enjoy the extra width, you have pay more!

Singapore Air to Raise Fares on New Boeing 777 Planes

By Chan Sue Ling

Oct. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Singapore Airlines Ltd., the world's second-largest carrier by market value, plans to raise fares on flights it will offer using its new Boeing Co. 777-300ER planes.

Singapore Airlines intends to charge 10 percent to 20 percent more in fares for routes served by the new aircraft, Huang Cheng Eng, executive vice-president for marketing for the region at the airline, said today. It will start offering flights on its new Boeing planes between Singapore and Paris in December. It will also fly to Zurich using the new aircraft.

Singapore Airlines has committed to spend an initial $360 million to furnish 10 Boeing 777-300ERs and 19 Airbus SAS A380 it will add to its fleet to attract more passengers as economic growth prompted demand for leisure and business travel. The number of travelers in the region will increase an average 6.8 percent a year between 2005 and 2009, according to the International Air Transport Association, which represents about 260 airlines.

The first Boeing 777-300ER will be delivered in November. Singapore Airlines has 19 of the aircraft on order, of which 10 will enter service by the middle of 2007.

Singapore Airlines, which will be the first to fly the world's biggest plane, may offer services to Tokyo using the superjumbo A380. The carrier will receive its first A380 in October 2007 instead of December this year as Airbus struggles with wiring problems.

The airline earlier planned to fly the double-decker aircraft to London and Sydney.

Chew's background is engineering, well maybe that's the reason why he lack of artistic touch (boring engineer :D, opps sorry if there's any engineer out there)

:angry: :angry: grrr :angry: :angry: Engineers are creative! it's just that we are more functional than creative :)

To enjoy the extra width, you have pay more!

Singapore Air to Raise Fares on New Boeing 777 Planes

By Chan Sue Ling

Oct. 17 (Bloomberg) -- Singapore Airlines Ltd., the world's second-largest carrier by market value, plans to raise fares on flights it will offer using its new Boeing Co. 777-300ER planes.

Singapore Airlines intends to charge 10 percent to 20 percent more in fares for routes served by the new aircraft, Huang Cheng Eng, executive vice-president for marketing for the region at the airline, said today. It will start offering flights on its new Boeing planes between Singapore and Paris in December. It will also fly to Zurich using the new aircraft.

Singapore Airlines has committed to spend an initial $360 million to furnish 10 Boeing 777-300ERs and 19 Airbus SAS A380 it will add to its fleet to attract more passengers as economic growth prompted demand for leisure and business travel. The number of travelers in the region will increase an average 6.8 percent a year between 2005 and 2009, according to the International Air Transport Association, which represents about 260 airlines.

The first Boeing 777-300ER will be delivered in November. Singapore Airlines has 19 of the aircraft on order, of which 10 will enter service by the middle of 2007.

Singapore Airlines, which will be the first to fly the world's biggest plane, may offer services to Tokyo using the superjumbo A380. The carrier will receive its first A380 in October 2007 instead of December this year as Airbus struggles with wiring problems.

The airline earlier planned to fly the double-decker aircraft to London and Sydney.

Redemption levels will be increasing too. :angry: :angry:

They've blocked out O and I inventory on 77W and A380 flights. These are discounted redemption classes for both Business and First. The implication is that we'd have to redeem into C and F classes - twice as much mileage!

I would gladly pay 10-20% more (about 400-800 bucks for MEL-Asia for business fare) but there's no way I'd be spending twice as much mileage. Unless the yet to be unveiled A380 F class truly takes my breath away since I can't afford F with cash. :D

Edited by Keith T

Unless the yet to be unveiled A380 F class truly takes my breath

well you might be in luck, I believe that the Airbus A3-LATE-Y is already taking Airbus' breath away :D

well you might be in luck, I believe that the Airbus A3-LATE-Y is already taking Airbus' breath away :D

:D :D :D

but the more gadgets, the more problems.

Emirates is currently facing this problem with the First Class seats on their A340-500's. Those F-Class sleepers have about 30 sensors built into them which detect the passengers position on the seat, and collectively adjust the seats position to comfortably "mould" around the passenger, thus ensuring a comfortable fit.

Just imagine flying a 10 hour sector...with even A FEW sensors malfunctioning...

Can somebody say " back ache " ? :rofl:

pax might think he's getting a massage! But yeah, an old engineering joke:

"If it doesn't break down often, then it needs more features"

Any idea how much KUL-SIN-CDG-LHR return will cost? Can't seem to like get the pricing from their website...

I dont think the pricing for Y will change.

But if u're thinking of splurging on J or F, you're well advised to ticket ur booking before the new rules/fares come in. ;)

And you'd have better luck if you just priced KUL-SIN-CDG with the website I think. Just go to a TA if you want to tag on the BD connector onto 1 ticket.

Edited by Keith T

Indeed, SIA's launch of its next generation cabin product was done this morning with huge media coverage . . . with highly-recognisable aviation journalists such as Geoffrey Thomas, Richard Quest and Nicholas Ionides among the more than 100 journalists present.

It is after all spending US$360 million on this product upgrade, and not about to let it happen without a big shout. While the launch was loud, the products were very subtle and had a very calming visual quality. If the new product launched back in 1998 was a re-invention of all three classes, this one is a revolution.

And the Economy Class passenger is certainly not forgotten. The seat is 19 inch wide (almost 2 inches more than present) and boasts added legroom and kneeroom due to the slimmer seat structure. Some of the most wonderful features include:

- reading light mounted on the base of the IFE screen and shines directly on the reading material without interfering with other passengers (and the light is pure white!!)

- coat hook, mirror, spectacles holder

- USB port for thumbdrive and one could work on one's documents, spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations using the IFE handset's keyboard (the softwares are loaded into the aircraft's system)

- light and warm fleece blanket (even has an embroided koala for kid's blanket) and cotton pillow that is slightly larger than present

- IFE handset is now on seatback and will not entangle with seatbelt and/or blanket

The feature-filled seatback :

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

The new Econony Class seat :

IPB Image

The new Economy Class blankets and pillow :

IPB Image

The new Economy Class service items :

IPB Image

Over in the new Business Class (note that the name "Raffles Class" is no longer being used), you are looking at a whopping 30-inch wide seat!! With a 1-2-1 abreast configuration, every seat has direct access to an aisle. The leather seat is folded down to become a flat bed with a fabric finish and topped off with a light duvet, crisp linen and larger pillows. The LCD screen is another whopper at 15.4 inches!

Everything is nicely concealed behind these beautiful black-finished panels :

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Teal-coloured blankets and pillows add a soothing touch to the warm earthy tones of the seat :

IPB Image

And with beautiful table setting and service items to match :

IPB Image

And in First Class, it is pure luxury starting off with a humongous giant of a seat measuring 35 inches wide (reputedly the widest in the sky). It allows for a couple to snuggle together in one seat to watch a movie together (but not for sleeping though). There is a space for everything and nothing was left wanting in this class.

The seat is finished in a very warm muted earthy tone . . . and very conducive for rest on a long-haul flight. Check out that monstrous 23 inch LCD screen! :

IPB Image

IPB Image

. . . and as usual, there's a fine dining experience to go with it :

IPB Image

These features are found in the Boeing 777-312ER that will be delivered to SIA in November 2006 (six of them will arrive in the two month period). These aircraft will initially operate the SIN-CDG and SIN-ZRH routes and an Australian destination (most likely MEL) is also being considered.

Branded as "THE Romance of Travel LIVES ON", these cabin features are likely to come at a slight premium as fares will be adjusted upwards to match the greater comfort. At this point in time, there are no plans to retrofit these into the existing fleet. The A380-800s will also be fitted with these features . . . and more!!

KC Sim

Any idea how much KUL-SIN-CDG-LHR return will cost? Can't seem to like get the pricing from their website...

These kind of combination you'll need to get the price from travel agent.