MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Airbus and Emirates Airline agree to cancel A350 XWB order

web.jpg

11 JUNE 2014 PRESS RELEASE

Airbus confirms that Emirates Airline has decided to cancel its order of 70 A350 XWB aircraft*. The decision follows on-going discussions with the airline in light of their fleet requirement review, as demonstrated by their order of 50 additional A380 at the last Dubai Airshow and their continuous interest in the program.

Airbus and Emirates Airline benefit from a long-standing relationship and the airline recently reiterated its confidence in Airbus products particularly by praising the A380 and the benefits the aircraft brings to their operations.

The order of 50 A350-900 and 20 A350-1000 was originally placed by Emirates Airline in 2007 with first delivery slots scheduled from 2019.

Airbus is very confident in its A350 XWB programme. Half a year before entry into service, the A350 XWB order book stands at a healthy 742 firm orders. The A350 flight test campaign is progressing well and is on track for Type Certification in the coming months.

Interest in the game changing A350 has always been very high with customers. Airbus expects the A350 order book to continue growing in 2014.

Notes:

*These figures will be reported in the Orders & Deliveries table of June 2014.

Source: Airbus

Golden opportunity for MH to grab some early(earlier?) delivery slots ? :)

I suspect the A350 is too small for Emirates. I think their future fleet (post 2020) will only comprise of A380/A380neo and B77W/B777 X.

As for MH, they may see it as a chance to grab some A359s to replace their B772s. Maybe they can mix their order with some A35Js so that the replacement for the A333s post 2020 will come in just as oil prices rise to (maybe) US$ 200...

Shocking to read that EK actually cancelled such a massive order. The last time they cancelled order was 10 firm order plus 10 option for A340-600 in 2006.

Note from leehamnews.com:

"This cancellation could open a hole in Emirates’ fleet plan. The so-called middle market for wide body twins is the heart of the market. This cancellation could open an opportunity for Boeing to step in with the slow-selling 777-300ER, which has a major production gap beginning in 2017. Rather than introduce a new fleet type, Emirates could opt to stay with the 777-300ER for commonality, or perhaps its huge order for 150 Boeing 777-8/9s may supply fleet needs.
Airbus has more than 800 orders for the A350 even after cancellation."
Edited by JuliusWong

Shocking to read that EK actually cancelled such a massive order. The last time they cancelled order was for 10 firm order plus 10 option A340-600 in 2006.

Well, the ME3 airlines have never been entirely happy with the way the A350 programme has developed. I think EK really wants to put pressure on Airbus to neo the A380. Won't be surprised if they then dangle a potential new order in front of Airbus (maybe be the A380neo's launch customer) after this cancellation. I don't think that they fancy losing the deposits for the A350 order!

The money can be found - it's not like the company have to pay upfront at the time of order.

I forgot. One just have to flick the lights off then on again and there's the money.

I don't think that they fancy losing the deposits for the A350 order!

Emirates being what she is to Airbus, I doubt if anyone would realistically consider forfeiture of the deposits :)

Rather surprising and bold move. Some A350s would have been a good replacement for their existing A330s and A340s to serve thinner routes or develop new markets.

Basically it reinforces Emirates' existing formula: A route must be able to sustain at least one daily B77W operation or Emirates won't bother flying there at all.

The money can be found - it's not like the company have to pay upfront at the time of order.

Yet since forever, the airline did not do so (placing aircraft orders for future use).

With the current situation at MH, I doubt ordering the A350 is in the agenda at all. I don't think there will be any more aircraft order from MH for at least the next 5 years.

Yet since forever, the airline did not do so (placing aircraft orders for future use).

Nothing to do with funding, more to do with dilly-dallying by the those up top - the same people that wanted "good leadership and management" from the company...

Emirates being what she is to Airbus, I doubt if anyone would realistically consider forfeiture of the deposits :)

Well no one will ever know as such deals are secret.

Maybe Boeing is paying the penalties in exchange for a huge order for the B777-8X/9X? This order could be announced at Farnborough next month. Boeing is not impartial to doing such things - e.g. bought SQs A340s so that they can sell them B772s...

When Emirates ordered 150 B777-8X and B777-9X at last year's Paris Air Show, the A350 order looked shaky. This appears to be a re-run of the A340-600IGW order that Emirates also cancelled.

I am certain that Airbus would not dare entertain the idea of forfeiting Emirates' deposit for this cancelled order. With a total of 140 A380s in operation or on order, Airbus could certainly not afford to upset this client.

KC Sim

Sign in to follow this