MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Teo CK

Mosphil Airlines For Sandakan-Zamboanga

Philippines-based airline to start service from Sandakan

Wednesday September 6, 2006

TheStar

The Mosphil airline aircraft at the Sandakan airport

during the trial flight from Zamboanga City recently.

KOTA KINABALU: An air link has been established between the Sabah east coast town of Sandakan and the southern Philippine city Zamboanga.

Philippines-based Mosphil Aero Inc is operating the service using a Russian made Antonov 24B aircraft from October.

The airline conducted a test flight from Zamboanga City to Sandakan on Aug 30.

Among those on board were Mosphil officials led by president Ibragim Sharifkulov and Zamboanga City government representatives.

They were received by Sandakan Municipal Council president Yeo Boon Hai and officials from the various government departments and representatives from local travel agencies.

Mosphil Aero will be operating a thrice-weekly flight between Zam-boanga City and Sandakan sfrom next month.

Yeo congratulated Ibragim for making the bold decision to consider Sandakan as his airline’s first East Asean Growth Area destination.

“We are very proud of his action in putting Sandakan on the world map, which I consider very timely as 2007 is already earmarked as “Visit Malaysia Year- Malaysia Welcomes the World,†he said.

Yeo said Sandakan, in fact has a very long history with Zamboanga especially in the Mindanao region which dates back to the 18th century.

Before the air service, the only transportation between the two places was by kumpit or ferry and the journey took more than 18 hours, he added.

He said Mosphil would initially use the Russsian made Antonov 24B which was quite similar to the normal Fokker F50. The flying time between Sandakan and Zamboanga City is only an hour and 10 minutes which is even nearer than traveling from Zamboanga City to Manila.

“I hope there will be more traders or tourists from the Mindanao region as well as other parts of the Philippines using Sandakan as the gateway to the rest of the world,†Yeo said.

The Star

cheers

AN24! :shok:

Woah!! That's one of the most beautiful russian props ever built! Although..its EXTREMELY environmental unfriendly as it emits alot of smoke and is quite noisy on takeoff...

Nontheless...a spotters dream to shoot one! 8)

“I hope there will be more traders or tourists from the Mindanao region as well as other parts of the Philippines using Sandakan as the gateway to the rest of the world,” Yeo said.

Only the Filipinos are happy to transit through BKI or KUL..........

I think MH used to operate this route for a shrt while with their F50 alongside the Tawau-Tarakan route. We will just have to see whether this route can be profitable.

I'm of the assumption that the Filipino living in Sabah are used to the 18 hours sea ordeal because it is much more cheaper.

But hey, lets try the Antonov 24b just for the sake of it... would fun!

Edited by Fitri Shukri

What happened to the YS-11 service from BKI to ZAM ? :huh:

Saw that plane in 2004 at BKI, and I believe, even captain Radzi 'published' a photo of her here or A.net :good:

Agree with Imran and Fitri: would be nice to take a flight on the twenty-four :drinks:

Any of you guys able to take a picture of her at SDK ? :huh:

But hey, lets try the Antonov 24b just for the sake of it... would fun!

Hmm... To Zamboanga..... in many Sabahan's mind, we are still filled with the image of the aftermath of the Sipadan kidnappings. Although, I don't really know what's there at Zamboanga.

Heard from the folks who went to Tarakan, the immigration will ask you for a small tip before you are allowed to enter their borders.

I wouldn't be in a hurry for those trips!!!

What happened to the YS-11 service from BKI to ZAM ? huh.gif

I think Radzi took the pic at SDK, rather than BKI. If I am not wrong, the YS-11 was used on the SDK-ZAM route.

Edited by S V Choong

I barely know this two cities but great for Borneo aviation!!!!!!!!

Hope when this airline gain profit from this route, AK won't push both gov. for right to fly SDK>>ZAM ;)

Is anyone still keeping count the number of attempts different airlines have tried to sustain service between Sabah and southern Philippines ?! Never seem to work out long term, nor has this EAGA thingy seem to have had any impact on anything (except lots of conferences and general hot air !)

BTW, this Yeo chap has better get his priorities right. Sandakan has long, long ago been "on the world map" thanks to the fantastic job Sepilok has brought about. This air service to Zamboanga has yet to be proven economically viable !

Is anyone still keeping count the number of attempts different airlines have tried to sustain service between Sabah and southern Philippines ?! Never seem to work out long term, nor has this EAGA thingy seem to have had any impact on anything (except lots of conferences and general hot air !)

BTW, this Yeo chap has better get his priorities right. Sandakan has long, long ago been "on the world map" thanks to the fantastic job Sepilok has brought about. This air service to Zamboanga has yet to be proven economically viable !

Certainly not sustainable if they are targetting Sabahan & people in Zamboanga only. But if they can market themselves to those trnasit pax who want to go on to KL or S'pore (JB), then maybe that will stand a higher chance. Afterall, flying from ZAM to SDK is nearer than ZAM to Manila, & from SDK to KL is also nearer than Manila to KL.

cheers

I think Radzi took the pic at SDK, rather than BKI. If I am not wrong, the YS-11 was used on the SDK-ZAM route.

There were 2. One in JP (BKI - BIMP-EAGA airlines) and the other one in A.net (SDK - South Phoenix). 2 different airlines.

There were 2. One in JP (BKI - BIMP-EAGA airlines) and the other one in A.net (SDK - South Phoenix). 2 different airlines.

Meant the BIMP-EAGA one, which I also saw at BKI at the time...sorry for the confusion about the correct web-site :sorry:

Drat - anyone else noticed that the Korean flights to BKI are gone ?! Either the ones they did was a series of seasonal charters OR it was a very short (and presumably unsuccessful) experiment. Ah well, good while it lasted !

Sorry for going slightly off topic BTW :pardon:

Sorry for going slightly off topic BTW pardon.gif

Would have to penalise you for going "slightly" off topic, BC. hehe....

Always thought the Korean were charter flights.

Would have to penalise you for going "slightly" off topic, BC. hehe....

Cost of transgression eh ! :p

With hindsight, yeah, it did seem strange having four jumbo loads into BKI weekly. That is not counting MH and Asiana flights yet. Definately overly ambitious !

Checked the KE site - ICN/BKI flights are back on from next month ! :yahoo:

Bringing in B738's first, then A306's later - much more realistic approach I reckon !

Downer is the flights will again be the midnight run - very spotter unfriendly. Still, where there is a will, .......... :)

Checked the KE site - ICN/BKI flights are back on from next month ! :yahoo:

Bringing in B738's first, then A306's later - much more realistic approach I reckon !

Downer is the flights will again be the midnight run - very spotter unfriendly. Still, where there is a will, .......... :)

Good news for our MWinger Samuel Chy as he never see 737NG before in BKI or ever, but the countdown for next month begin :D She's coming to u Samuel, go get her :yahoo: Nice to see Korean Airlines back to BKI :drinks:

This is what's showing in my res-computer:

ICN-BKI (all times local):

30OCT 20DEC 1.34..7 1840 ICN 2315 BKI KE 673 738 ZWY 0

21DEC 22MAR 1.34..7 1840 ICN 2315 BKI KE 673 AB6 CRI 0

- - .23..67 1915 ICN 2330 BKI OZ 757 321 CDJ 0

BKI-ICN (all times local):

- - 1.34..7 0030 BKI 0700 ICN OZ 758 321 CDJ 0

31OCT 19DEC 12.45.. 0040 BKI 0710 ICN KE 674 738 ZWY 0

21DEC 21DEC ...4... 0040 BKI 0710 ICN KE 674 738 CWY 0

22DEC 23MAR 12.45.. 0040 BKI 0710 ICN KE 674 AB6 CRI 0

So.....bring your tri-pod and try to shoot some nice night-shots ;)

Going back to the original topic: anything known (as yet) about which airline/AN24 (registration) will operate the ZAM-SDK route ???

Sign in to follow this