MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
David.W

Proposal: Passengers-Only Airport Terminals in Malaysia

ULAANBAATAR, MONGOLIA - The Malaysian government is mulling a proposal to allow only air passengers to enter terminals at all major airports to tighten security, according to state media.

Only passengers will be allowed at the check-in counters while those sending them off would be kept outside the building or restricted to group at a particular place, said Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi

He was speaking to journalists at the 11th Asia-Europe Meeting (Asem) Summit here on Friday (July 15).

"The Cabinet had instructed Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai to work out this proposal with MAHB (Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad)," Dr Ahmad Zahid was quoted as saying by the Bernama news agency.

Dr Ahmad Zahid, who is leading the Malaysian delegation to the Asem Summit, said Datuk Seri Liow was also asked to find a way to prevent vehicles sending off or waiting for air passengers from parking near terminals.

The proposal to tighten airport security comes after an attack at the Istanbul Ataturk Airport last month that killed 45 people and wounded hundreds, the deadliest in a series of bombings this year in Turkey.

In the June 28 airport attack, three bombers opened fire to create panic outside the airport before two of them got inside and blew themselves up. The third militant detonated his explosives outside at the entrance to the international arrival terminal, Reuters reported.

The Islamic State in Iraq and Syria claimed responsibility for the suicide bombings.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysia-mulls-tightening-airport-security-only-passengers-allowed-inside-terminals

This has been practiced in Manila for many years.

Indonesia and India as well...funny how US and Australia allows public to walk all the way into the baggage arrival area...

This has been practiced in Manila for many years.

Mainly due to congestion, no? In South Asia many airports charge people if they have no tickets but wanna go in anyway :D

Yes, thats right. Terrorists wouldn't know how to generate e-ticket itineraries just to enter the terminal.

Whereas we all non-terrorists know that you dont even have to purchase actual valid tickets but at the bare minimum only produce what looks like some itinerary to enter the terminal.

MAHB will be happy to know that the interior of its terminals will remain in the same pristine condition and check-in desks remain unblemished whilst any possible carnage or maiming will only be limited to the drop-off areas.

I like it. Hopefully they will implement it. Not so much abt security though. With this it will be less crowded around the check in islands. Like Bali

Dps new terminal is designed to protect against or limit damage from car bomb.

Indonesia and India as well...funny how US and Australia allows public to walk all the way into the baggage arrival area...

Definitely not in Melbourne Tullamarine or Sydney - public are kept outside of the baggage at the arrival area.

Perth and Hobart are allowed, IIRC

The authorities should tighten its border controls to stamp out smuggling of weapons into the country.

I'm guessing it will be status quo, carry on as you are at BKI after all this ....

There are already 'Passengers Only' notices posted at security screening stations before entering the cordoned off check in islands - no one has ever verified if I'm a 'passenger' there :)

..... to find a way to prevent vehicles sending off or waiting for air passengers from parking near terminals.
http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysia-mulls-tightening-airport-security-only-passengers-allowed-inside-terminals

​Heck, just learn from BKI. All those double and triple parked vehicles at kerbside, seemingly well tolerated/ignored by airport management and denying efficient pax and luggage drop off/pick up, they should form quite an efficient barrier against any meaningful terror attack :D

Not sure if relevant but the past few days I've frequented klia2 and there's now announcements that advise international passengers to clear immigration ASAP after checking in.

Travelling the past weeks to SIN, ICN, NRT, HKG actually made me feel unsafe when in KLIA. The other airports had beefed up security so visibly that I felt like I was in Big Brother house there, whereas in KLIA.... all I can say is the same tidak apa attitude, until something really do happen.

they should also do the same to all shopping malls.

People who are not going to buy things should stay outside.

May be some people are lobbying for metal detector and x-ray machine to be installed at shopping mall, lrt, mrt, KTM stations, schools, concerts, etc.

Definitely not in Melbourne Tullamarine or Sydney - public are kept outside of the baggage at the arrival area.

Perth and Hobart are allowed, IIRC

I think what Kenneth meant was domestic terminals in Australia.

I know in SYD, MEL and BNE domestic terminals, although one needs to go thru security check to get to the airside, no boarding pass is required. Hence non-passengers are able send their love ones off at the boarding gates.

Bad idea... If I were a terrorist and I want to do the most damage, I will detonate next to a crowd. Where do I find the biggest crowd at manila and Mumbai? Just outside the terminal building where people are queueing up to get through security to enter the terminal building. Heck, I can do one hell of a damage with a car bomb...

Agree, but there are other places to detonate a car bomb with plenty of people other than airports. The key for airport security is to minimise the risk there.

I'm not sure about other airports in Malaysia, but I found KLIA for example always look empty. Only gates with departing flights are crowded. I don't see this idea will prevent what it's supposed to do.

Travelling the past weeks to SIN, ICN, NRT, HKG actually made me feel unsafe when in KLIA. The other airports had beefed up security so visibly that I felt like I was in Big Brother house there, whereas in KLIA.... all I can say is the same tidak apa attitude, until something really do happen.

despite being in close proximity to places with actual recent terrorist attacks (Brussels/Paris), security at AMS is the same as any other day (unless you count the El Al boarding area that always have additional security guards with machine guns present)...heck cars are even park on the road side at the departure and arrival areas just like KLIA (but less cars of course when compared to KLIA) and taxi touts are rampant inside the terminal building....

from experience, security presence at certain Asian airports (SIN, BKK etc) is always much higher when compared to KLIA or even most European and Australian airports

at the end of the day it all boils down to the perceived threat level....

Did MAHB or police closed off one of two drop off lanes at klia2? I was flying out on last Thursday, they only allowed drop off at second drop-off lane. Not sure if it is because of vip arrival or safety upgrading.

Also I used airasia app to check in with e boarding pass. No one bothers to check until boarding gate. The police, the immigration officer, security check station. I was only ask to show e-boarding pass during boarding. Even that the stewardess just said "ok to board", no scanning of barcode at all. I was asked by ground crew who boarded the aircraft to check if I had indeed boarded the flight. I can see big loopholes here.

Btw, I saw quite a number of police present at the check in counters, some were doing random check, good job police!

Edited by JuliusWong

Sign in to follow this