MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
affendi osman

MAB New Business Class Seat on All Existing 15 A333 from 1 April 2016

It is the LX basic concept yes.

Looks good, and I'm sure it'll make a great screensaver for the desktop, but I'm gonna come out and say this development makes me unhappy.

When you drop from J36 to J27...... I predict this (you heard it here first)

1) There will be exclusions to fares, some fares won't be valid for travel on this plane

2) Z availability will go down the drain (gonna be harder to come by)

3) D likely also will be affected for those of you dreaming of using your enrich miles at "saver" levels.

4) MH upgrade will suddenly be harder to win on this plane

It'll be fine if you're always buying JRTMY/CRTMY/YY/CIF/JIF style fares (not me). Not so fine if you're a bargain hunter who buys ZBZOW1MLK style fares (me).

Careful what you wish for :)

It is the LX basic concept yes.

Looks good, and I'm sure it'll make a great screensaver for the desktop, but I'm gonna come out and say this development makes me unhappy.

When you drop from J36 to J27...... I predict this (you heard it here first)

1) There will be exclusions to fares, some fares won't be valid for travel on this plane

2) Z availability will go down the drain (gonna be harder to come by)

3) D likely also will be affected for those of you dreaming of using your enrich miles at "saver" levels.

4) MH upgrade will suddenly be harder to win on this plane

It'll be fine if you're always buying JRTMY/CRTMY/YY/CIF/JIF style fares (not me). Not so fine if you're a bargain hunter who buys ZBZOW1MLK style fares (me).

Careful what you wish for :)

Must be harder for enrich redemption oso....

Must be harder for enrich redemption oso....

Simple economics kan? I make an investment I want return for it. MHupgrade and Z class CMB/TPE/BKK specials are VERY low yield. Those days are gone!

Yeah, v keep saying that MH needs better yields for it to make a sustainable and profitable business.

Just looked a little more deeply at the render. IF it is accurate - it looks like this (and is ala LX 333 style if you've seen it)

Row 1: 1-2-1

Row 2: 1-2-2

Row 3: 1-2-1

Row 4: 1-2-2

and so forth. Looks like there are at least 6 rows (on the starboard side) , and if you go with 1-2-1, 1-2-2 alternating , 6 rows gives you precisely 27 seats.

Best seats look like they'll be 1K, 3K and 5K (or 6K if they skip the number 4) - these have the dual consoles on both sides of the seat to put your stuff on. This is like the first pic affendi put up of that solo seat.

The port windows (A seats) won't have the dual console. 1A will have the console on the left, and will be "exposed" to the aisle on the right

2A will have the console on the right, which will give some privacy from the aisle and the seat itself will be up against the wall,

3A will be like 1A and so forth.

The difference with LX is that the special "throne" seats are on the left instead of the right (1-2-1, 2-2-1 alternating)

FURTHER investigation

Based on Pics - i count 11 windows for this new J cabin. The current cabin with 36 seats extends all the way between door L1 and L2, and has 17 windows i think.

Could this new found space , BEHIND the J cabin but IN FRONT of the galley and door L2, be used for one or two rows of economy, or "Super economy"? The space is there.......

Edited by Suzanne Goh

Will the new J-cabin occupies the entire space between Door 1 and 2? From the look of EI's seat map, it does (EI has 30 seats at 58" seat pitch per seatguru whilst MH has 27 seats at 43" seat pitch). CX 333 (Cirrus Zodiac) and AA 333 (B/E Super Diamond) with reverse herringbone has 28 seats between Door 1 and 2 - why go for a a J cabin that doesn't have all-aisle access and IMO, not as good as CX/AA 333 J cabin (one big assumption is Thompson Vantage seats cost the same as those reverse herringbone seats).

At least this is a product that can compete with other airlines. The current offering is embarrassing!

Will the new J-cabin occupies the entire space between Door 1 and 2? From the look of EI's seat map, it does (EI has 30 seats at 58" seat pitch per seatguru whilst MH has 27 seats at 43" seat pitch). CX 333 (Cirrus Zodiac) and AA 333 (B/E Super Diamond) with reverse herringbone has 28 seats between Door 1 and 2 - why go for a a J cabin that doesn't have all-aisle access and IMO, not as good as CX/AA 333 J cabin (one big assumption is Thompson Vantage seats cost the same as those reverse herringbone seats).

They could also choose Vantage Xl, which is currently being used by QF. But, I guess price is the factor here.

Hope MH will put some more customisation, considering it will only debut in April.

The LX seat looks like an earlier gen model, but the EI seat is exactly the same as the proposed MH render. Kind of obvious this is Mueller's doing

I think he brought his 'turnaround@EI textbook' to MH when he joined the latter. EI shrunk a lot when he joined EI, later became a quasi budget plus full service airline before returning to profit. EI's recovery was very remarkable, even now

IAG has bought them.

I hope he can do the same for the new MH, but not selling part though.

Enhancements start for Malaysia Airlines

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 3, 2015:

The much-vaunted enhancements to Malaysia Airlines to woo back passengers and seek profitability will start with new A330-300 business class seats to be introduced in April next year.
These new seats, unveiled at the World Travel Market in London, will be in all 15 A330-300 aircraft by September, the national carrier said in a statement today.
Each Malaysia Airlines A330-300 aircraft has 27 business class seats and 263 economy class seats.
“The business class seat pitch, which measures at 43 inches with a width of 20.6 inches and length of 76 inches (fully flat), is one of the best received business class seats in the industry.
“The seats come with increased working space with 90% of all seats having direct aisle access due to the 1-2-1 and 1-2-2 seat layout, with extra stowage space for personal items,” said group chief executive officer Christoph Mueller.
“This product will make us more competitive against other full-service carriers and is part of the airline’s push to be more customer centric, offering new, personalised and innovative products.”
Mueller had earlier said Malaysia Airlines needed to have modern amenities like fully flat beds in business class to keep up with fierce competition, especially with Middle East carriers.
No details of Premium Economy for now....Currently A330-300 has 247 Y class, 263 in new config. A gain of 16 seats.
Maybe 2-4-2 two rows will be the Premium Economy.....too far fetched?
Edited by JuliusWong

Enhancements start for Malaysia Airlines

KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 3, 2015:

The much-vaunted enhancements to Malaysia Airlines to woo back passengers and seek profitability will start with new A330-300 business class seats to be introduced in April next year.
These new seats, unveiled at the World Travel Market in London, will be in all 15 A330-300 aircraft by September, the national carrier said in a statement today.
Each Malaysia Airlines A330-300 aircraft has 27 business class seats and 263 economy class seats.
“The business class seat pitch, which measures at 43 inches with a width of 20.6 inches and length of 76 inches (fully flat), is one of the best received business class seats in the industry.
“The seats come with increased working space with 90% of all seats having direct aisle access due to the 1-2-1 and 1-2-2 seat layout, with extra stowage space for personal items,” said group chief executive officer Christoph Mueller.
“This product will make us more competitive against other full-service carriers and is part of the airline’s push to be more customer centric, offering new, personalised and innovative products.”
Mueller had earlier said Malaysia Airlines needed to have modern amenities like fully flat beds in business class to keep up with fierce competition, especially with Middle East carriers.
No details of Premium Economy for now....Currently A330-300 has 247 Y class, 263 in new config. A gain of 16 seats.
Maybe 2-4-2 two rows will be the Premium Economy.....too far fetched?

probably only regular economy, which is already 2-4-2. Mueller is being quoted as saying it's J27Y263, not J27W16Y247 after all.

crucially though - going forward, having a Y+ product is SOMETIMES bad news. Every airline that has introduced it - usually tweaks the frequent flyer program to suit, usually blocking a direct upgrade path between Regular economy and Business. Also, think about how MHupgrade would work if there was such a "super economy"? It's not always good news.

Edited by Suzanne Goh

probably only regular economy, which is already 2-4-2. Mueller is being quoted as saying it's J27Y263, not J27W16Y247 after all.

Could it be that Mueller doesn't want to reveal more details hence he fudged it a bit?

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Could it be that Mueller doesn't want to reveal more details hence he fudged it a bit?

Of course he can. For all we know the seats have yellow polka dots and thorns sticking out of them.

But why would you fudge it? In the grand scheme of all things airline - this news, if we are honest with ourselves, is actually not particularly noteworthy