MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
alberttky

MAS B772 Fleet Decommissioned on 27 January 2016

Which one type of a/c is suitable for MH?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. A350 or B787

• A350
    • B787

Malaysia Airlines (MAS) faces a challenging 2013 as low-cost carrier competition intensifies in the Southeast Asian market. The new oneworld member is back in the black, having posted profits for 3Q2012 and 4Q2012. But MAS remained in the red for the full year and will struggle to meet its goal of returning to full year profitability in 2013.

MAS operates in a highly competitive home market, competing against AirAsia on a majority of its routes. Competition will intensify after new Lion Air Group affiliate Malindo launches services in late Mar-2013, becoming the second LCC in the Malaysian market. Meanwhile challenges remain on long-haul routes, where MAS one year ago reduced capacity significantly as part of a new business plan, due to rising fuel prices and unfavourable global economic conditions.

Continue reading at http://centreforaviation.com/analysis/malaysia-airlines-2013-outlook-clouded-by-increasing-competition-and-launch-of-malindo-99945

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) managing director Ahmad Jauhari Yahya said the airline is well on track to return to profitability by end of 2014 and it will take delivery of 24 new aircraft this year.

With newer aircraft, he expects a 15% to 20% cost savings per seat basis and this will translate to savings in its fuel bill, though fuel prices are subject to fluctuations.

Ahmad Jauhari told reporters after the airline's AGM ON Tuesday that loads were picking up and for its first quarter the airline saw 3.5% rise in passenger loads.

The airline reported its worst ever loss of RM2.52bil for financial year ended Dec 31, 2011 but losses were trimmed to RM432.6mil last year.

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/5/14/business/20130514145833&sec=business

PETALING JAYA, May 14 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Airlines aims to transform itself into a financially self-sustaining entity by end-2014, said Group Chief Executive Officer Ahmad Jauhari Yahya.

He said the national carrier, which reported lower losses in 2012, is also looking at an ambitious self-financing plan for its aircraft purchase in the next two to three years.

"We have strategic plans. The turnaround of the company will be noticeable by year-end, with the most (improvements) seen in the second half of the year," he told reporters after the airline's annual general meeting today.

Ahmad Jauhari said the national carrier aims to introduce new and interesting routes within the eight-hour flying time radar to increase its network size, which shrank six per cent last year due to its route rationalisation exercise.

He said 24 new aircraft, all narrow-body and turboprop, will be received by the national airline this year to replace its retiring peers.

Ahmad Jauhari said MAS also intends to grow its fleet size, with a further announcement by the end of next quarter on the number and type of aircraft to be ordered.

"We have received all our Airbus A380s (six of them). They are currently flying twice daily to London, and daily to Paris and Hong Kong.

"We are at the moment reviewing our fleet plan, and we will make an announcement by the end of next quarter," he added.

The aircraft replacement process will position MAS in a very encouraging spot, and is expected to lower the average fleet age to below 5.4 years by year-end, from 9.2 years registered in end-2012.

"We will also enjoy an average 15-20 per cent fuel savings per seat through the new and modern aircraft fleet. Fuel savings will definitely reflect in our balance sheet as fuel is one of the core costs of an airline," Ahmad Jauhari said.

MAS saw a 3.5 per cent growth in passenger loads for the first three months of 2013 to 76.6 per cent from the 73 per cent reported during the same period last year.

It saw a 16.5 per cent increase in revenue passenger km (RPK) over the said quarter as opposed to the same period last year. RPK is the average amount an airline generates for flying a paying passenger over a distance of one kilometer.

For the same quarter, the national carrier had a total of 3.6 million passengers, compared to 3.1 million in the same period a year ago.

Ahmad Jauhari said MAS, which aims to turn profitable by the end of next year, is very cautiously positive on its prospects this year, despite new challenges such as the emergence of Malindo Airways locally and Air France internationally.

Air France, which returned to operate from Kuala Lumpur International Airport last month, is using its B777 for its thrice-weekly flights to Paris, while MAS has deployed its A380 aircraft for its daily flights to Paris.

"Airline business has never been easy. There will be ups and downs. But, like how we reported operating profit for the last two quarters of last year, we are hoping to do it for the rest of this year.

"We are expecting better performance in the second half of 2013. Our strategy now is to win our customers back into our fold.

"With the intense competition within the industry, I have to admit that MAS has lost a certain percentage of its customers to the others. Now, we plan to retain the existing customers while attracting new guests on board," he said.

Ahmad Jauhari said a five-year plan to maintain the relevance of the national carrier in terms of customer satisfaction and experience is being put in place, with the end result expected to be very positive.

The 777 replacement obviously!

My gut feeling is that the boys from Paine Field will have one foot in the door

What is 787's current backlog though? At this rate if they do not make decisions fast they will only get them when the first 787 goes to scrapyard.

If MH now "aims to transform itself into a financially self-sustaining entity by end-2014" - the worrying bit is how it's sustaining its existence pre-end-2014, yes, even as you read this :D

If MH now "aims to transform itself into a financially self-sustaining entity by end-2014" - the worrying bit is how it's sustaining its existence pre-end-2014, yes, even as you read this :D

Haven't we read too much of similar stories in the past? Only to produce disappointed results at the end with blames to fuel prices but not the cronies.

The 777 replacement obviously!

My gut feeling is that the boys from Paine Field will have one foot in the door

I think much will depend on delivery slots.

Based on the experience of the CDG traffic, it would not be too much to deploy the A380 to AMS too. A top up order of two or three A380s might be in order. Delivery should be in about two to three years.

MH should try to get more economies of scale by increasing its A380 fleet and try the EK philosophy of not worrying about pax demand. Fly the plane there and let the sales people push the ticket sales!

I still think MH should refurbish and keep the B772s for longer. That way, they can look at the B777X, B787-9/B787-10 and A350-900/A350-1000 as the more permanent replacements for their B772/A333.

I still think MH should refurbish and keep the B772s for longer. That way, they can look at the B777X, B787-9/B787-10 and A350-900/A350-1000 as the more permanent replacements for their B772/A333.

I've read in an interview with Hugh Dunleavy in AIR International stating that to refurbish the 777 it can only be done two years from now at the earliest because of huge backlogs at the seat manufacturers & according to him the general consensus is for fleet refreshment.

But of course that interview was done before Boeing announced the 777X, so who knows?

well not sure if MAS can keep above waters and not make a loss. Seems that with its A380s,loads have not been breakeven esp the morning flight to LHR and even now its A380 flight to HKG and MH have to resort to massive discount especially like for its fare ex-SIN to HKG and Europe which is like the lowest of all airlines. And with Air France retruning back to KUL with its 777 - MH A380 to France will be affected alot and esp before when MH flies its 777 to Paris and the loads were abt breakeven only and with its aircraft changed to A380 - there's a big increase in seats available.

well not sure if MAS can keep above waters and not make a loss. Seems that with its A380s,loads have not been breakeven esp the morning flight to LHR and even now its A380 flight to HKG and MH have to resort to massive discount especially like for its fare ex-SIN to HKG and Europe which is like the lowest of all airlines. And with Air France retruning back to KUL with its 777 - MH A380 to France will be affected alot and esp before when MH flies its 777 to Paris and the loads were abt breakeven only and with its aircraft changed to A380 - there's a big increase in seats available.

According to The Star report at the MAS AGM: http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2013/5/15/business/13112206&sec=business

Loads for the A380 aircraft, meanwhile, were in the 80% range, as were overall loads. MAS deploys the six A380 aircraft for its Hong Kong, Paris and London routes.

According to MWingers, it is not easy to get bookings on the KUL-CDG-KUL flights if you do last minute bookings.

So I am not sure who is right - MH will has released its 2013 Q1 operating statistics and they are quite an improvement over the 2012 numbers: http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=12195&p=326809

A380 to HKG is new so you'll need something to entice people to try it out. It's Marketing 101.

As for MH4, it was 80% or thereabouts full when I flew on it three weeks ago.

i think MH will end up with the enhanced A330 version... if im not mistaken the EIS is 2015 just nice before their 777 end of lease period (read it somewhere it stated november 2015). not ruling out the possibility for them to have A350-1000 either but not 777-X, it is still a long way to go.

Additional top up order for A380 will make my day tho' :D Routes like PEK/NRT/SYD have the potential i think and yeah more of 738 plzz... would love to see MH serving second/third tier cities within ASEAN region.

I wonder what the average loads are like for the MH A380 to LHR, CDG and HKG. When I flew at the end of Feb 2013 to LHR on MH4, it was packed to the brim! But the yields is a different story entirely. Data sharing anyone :pardon:

Just got back to msia with MH21, 14 May Flight, F : 0, C: 35, Y:238

Demand is pretty strong... IN Y, just like the AF flight...

By 2016, most of MH major competitors will be operating next generation aircraft like 787 or A350 that is 15% to 20% lower CASK. Until MH taking delivery of next generation aircraft, expect MH long haul to take a beating from 2016.

The selfish side of me is hoping for 747-8.

The selfish side of me is hoping for a Boeing. Any Boeing.