MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

DHL611 & BTC2957

The midair collision between Tu154 Bashkirian and DHL B757 over Uberlingen, Germany, on Jul 2nd 2002, is referred. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bashkirian_Airlines_Flight_2937

Got a couple of questions. Hope the experts among you can enlighten me:-

1) What is the general procedure in Malaysia should there be a conflict between TCAS and ATC on whether to climb or descend?

2) A few moments after the Tu154 clipped the tail of the DHL 757, the 757 hurtled out of control and then the starboard engine exploded and parted from the wing. Any idea why?

3) Knowing full well that TCAS is aboard most modern ACs, why did the controller instruct the Tu154 to descend, and without checking with the DHL 757?

4) What is your opinion on the eventual reaction of Vitaly Kaloyev (he killed the ATCer on duty that night)?

Hi Akmal,

1) What is the general procedure in Malaysia should there be a conflict between TCAS and ATC on whether to climb or descend?

A : No idea, but i guess TCAS rules.. biggrin.gif

2) A few moments after the Tu154 clipped the tail of the DHL 757, the 757 hurtled out of control and then the starboard engine exploded and parted from the wing. Any idea why?

A : Stress ..?... laugh.gif

3) Knowing full well that TCAS is aboard most modern ACs, why did the controller instruct the Tu154 to descend, and without checking with the DHL 757?

A : Panic ..?... laugh.gif

4) What is your opinion on the eventual reaction of Vitaly Kaloyev (he killed the ATCer on duty that night)?

A : I'll do the same if my child were killed... wink.gif

*Don't use my answer in real life .. laugh.gif *

Follow TCAS. ATC are only humans, and humans make mistake.

Follow TCAS. ATC are only humans, and humans make mistake.

4008[/snapback]

I'm sure each and every pilot has his or her own views on this...but I for one can't make up my mind on what medium of advice i would follow.

One one hand..i COULD follow the TCAS...but it could be faulty..and could be displaying incorrect information...

On the other hand...i COULD follow the ATC's advice...but he/she could be mistaken...

blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

It is quite simple really. With TCAS you are not supposed to think. Just follow the instruction given, ask question later. The only time you might want to ignore TCAS is if you're visual with the conflicting traffic, but then you would not come to the RA situation anyway since you would do the evasive action long before it becomes a threat.

Sign in to follow this