MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ken K. Kour

MAB Spends RM79 Mln Yearly....

"MAB Spends RM79 Mln Yearly On Facilities/Airside Maintenance

July 19, 2005 16:46 PM

SEPANG, July 19 (Bernama) -- Malaysia Aiport Bhd allocates nearly RM79 million every year for the maintenance of its equipment and airside areas to ensure that the KL International Airport (KLIA) remains at par with other leading airports of the world.

Its chairman, Tan Sri Dr Aris Othman said that MAB constantly monitored all its equipment and the airside areas such as the aircraft parking zone, runway and runway lights to ensure that they were all at their best levels to maintain the airport's safety level and minimise accidents in these areas.

"The excellence of an airport is not only measured through the number of passengers and cargo it handles ever year, airline companies also look into the safety aspects of the airport areas before they start any operations at the airport," he said.

He said that the reputation of an airport would be badly damaged should any accident take place due to a compromise on a safety measure at the airport areas.

He said this to reporters after the launch of the "Safety Campaign Together with Airside Operations" here, Tuesday. The campaign is being jointly participated by Malaysia Airlines Klas, Airasia, Esso, Shell, Sinar Jernih and several other private sector companies.

In line with its safety measures, Dr Aris said MAB also allocated RM6 million yearly to conduct special training to ensure the safety maintenance at its airport areas.

"We are also estimating a reduction in the number of accidents within the airport areas and infact are aiming for a zero-accident level," he said.

In the first six months of this year, a total of 14 accidents were recorded and this a reduced number when compared with a total of 48 cases recorded for the whole of last year, he said.

He said although the accidents involved minor incidents such as maintenance vehicles hitting an aircraft, MAB viewed such incidents very seriously as every accident involved high costs in repair.

On the campaign launched today, Dr Aris said that it was aimed at inculcating safety awareness among all workers at the apron area and of the safety regulations that they would have to adhere to whilst carrying out their duties. The campaign is also aimed at keeping the KLIA apron as an area free from "foreign object damage", which provides a guarantee of safety for all aircraft parked at the area.

Also present at today's event were the chief executive officer of KL Airport Services Sdn Bhd Sharifah Halimah Syed Ahmad, senior general manager of MAB Operations Mahat Samah and the general manager of KLIA, Azmi Murad.

-- BERNAMA"

RM79M on KLIA alone, i think it would be interesting to see how much it spends on the other airports in malaysia in comparison to KLIA..

I believe that MAB should allocate more to amenities within KLIA, such as Newer TV's, Astro, More Shops, More Immigration Officers during Peak Hours, Better Staff Training (Some of those staff look and act like they havent been paid for a year and that someone just rudely woke them up...) and perhaps better baggage handling facilities... and the list goes on and on...

MAB and MAS would do well i believe to visit forums such as M-Wings, Airliners.net to learn about customer feedback on its products, and ways to improve its services...

RM79M on KLIA alone, i think it would be interesting to see how much it spends on the other airports in malaysia in comparison to KLIA..

I believe that MAB should allocate more to amenities within KLIA, such as Newer TV's, Astro, More Shops, More Immigration Officers during Peak Hours, Better Staff Training (Some of those staff look and act like they havent been paid for a year and that someone just rudely woke them up...) and perhaps better baggage handling facilities... and the list goes on and on...

MAB and MAS would do well i believe to visit forums such as M-Wings, Airliners.net to learn about customer feedback on its products, and ways to improve its services...

2868[/snapback]

Agreed. Or they just need to fly down to Changi to observe and learn. HKG would be good as well.

Agreed. Or they just need to fly down to Changi to observe and learn. HKG would be good as well.

2872[/snapback]

I was through Johor Bahru airport... and even though they are revamping their terminals right now, the finished areas are very modern, with new Plasma TV's, NTV7, that sort of thing... I reckon KLIA under SATS would do very well compared to under MAB... i feel that MAB doesnt have any proper competition... and thus, they do not have the urge to provide better services that the 'competitors'... just look at the Senai Airport website... (Senai IA ..

makes me sad when i compare it to KLIA :( :( :(

... i feel that MAB doesnt have any proper competition...

Neither do HKG and SIN, but hey they are doing a bloody good job.

Neither do HKG and SIN, but hey they are doing a bloody good job.

2881[/snapback]

hahaha... true true :o

maybe our malaysians have a different attitude or mindset compared to the Singaporeans or Hong Kong(ese)?

Sign in to follow this