MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sharil Abdul Rahman

Cheapest tickets to go to LHR and BRS

Hey guys.

Family's planning to visit sister in Bristol next year.

And i'm kind of entrusted with the booking and hotel details.

So i want to ask the sifu-sifu sekalian here - who(other than Airasia X) has the best price to go to LHR?

And is it a better option to transit to go to LHR or direct?

Also i heard to go to Paris is better to take the TGV?

And while i'm talking about Paris, anybody can recommend me a good hotel or apartment in paris?

Sister found one, but i want to see what are my options?

There is KUL-DAC-DXB-LHR on Biman Airlines.. But be prepared because your flight might be delayed for 14.5 hours (this happened in 26Nov 2008,)

biman.jpg

Traveling London-Paris by TGV MIGHT NOT be cheaper than taking a flight. TGV pricing are similar to air tickets in that they price according to season, availability and demand. The good thing about traveling TGV is that it takes you to Gare du Nord which is quite central in Paris, rather than Orly or CDG if you take a flight.

I stayed in an HI Hostel in Republique while backpacking there in July. A youth hostel if your family don't mind. Pros: near metro station, breakfast provided (though rather dismal), cheap, no lock-in (means you can go clubbing till 3 and won't find yourself being locked outside); cons: old facilities, smallish, lacking in individual lockers.

Enjoy Paris! :drinks:

Hey guys.

And i'm kind of entrusted with the booking and hotel details.

So i want to ask the sifu-sifu sekalian here - who(other than Airasia X) has the best price to go to LHR?

Also i heard to go to Paris is better to take the TGV?

And while i'm talking about Paris, anybody can recommend me a good hotel or apartment in paris?

Sister found one, but i want to see what are my options?

What would the dates be???

AKX would be your cheapest bet, although EK and QR have cheap fares to the UK too...

LHR is a mess transit-wise; why don't you consider KUL-AMS-BRS ?

As an example: 04apr-18apr return is MYR4521 p/p all incl. on KLM/KLC... :pardon:

I agree with Pieter, KUL-AMS-BRS would be the best option if availability and price is OK.

I'd avoid Paris and London to be honest as transiting CDG or LHR is a nightmare.

There is no TGV between Paris and London.

There is however Eurostar.

AKX would be your cheapest bet, although EK and QR have cheap fares to the UK too...

LHR is a mess treansit-wise; why don't you consider KUL-AMS-BRS ?

As an example: 04apr-18apr return is MYR4521 p/p all incl. on KLM/KLC... :pardon:

Hahaha uncle pieter. Actually when i sent my sister to bristol that was the EXACT route i took. You can even check my myfligtmemories. :D

Schipol is an interesting airport indeed.

Yeah i know LHR is a mess. The trouble is if i take Stanstead, i need to take a train to Bristol. AMS is a nice choice, but i am the guy who likes to see what else i can find out.

BTW how is CDG? as crazy as LHR?

Also Ken M. , I thought there is a TGV between London and Paris?

Edited by Sharil Abdul Rahman

Hi Shahril. I studied in Bristol from 1999 to 2003. Glad to know that there are still Malaysians there :)

In Paris, I recommend you take an appartment, it's more comfortable for a family and cheaper. Besides, it gives you an opportunity to live like a true Parisian rather than confined to typical touristy hotels. I stayed at this place last April for a week, it costs me only €50/room for 2 people: http://www.homelidays.com/paris-11-oberkam...io116325en1.htm (use the website to search for more). Alternatively, if you are still looking for regular hotels, I often find the best deals with Priceline http://www.priceline-europe.com/

Easyjet has direct flights BRS-CDG. You might want to look into that.

Yes, even more crazy for transits :(

TGV is used in France only...

Thalys runs between Paris and BeNeLux and CGN...

Eurostar runs between Paris and London/BRU...

See link below:

http://www.eurostar.com/dynamic/index.jsp

A cheapest return would set you back around EUR77 per person ! (check out low-cost airlines, as they might be cheaper)

Hahaha uncle pieter. Actually when i sent my sister to bristol that was the EXACT route i took. You can even check my myfligtmemories. :D

Schipol is an interesting airport indeed.

Yeah i know LHR is a mess. The trouble is if i take Stanstead, i need to take a train to Bristol. AMS is a nice choice, but i am the guy who likes to see what else i can find out.

To get to Bristol from London Stansted would require a train into London, a tube (underground) trip to London Paddington station and another train to Bristol.

A 3-4 hour expensive journey.

Save yourself the hassle and fly to BRS with KL/KLc :good:

As stated in an earlier post TGV is the highspeed rail network operated by SNCF in France.

hmmm........

What if i want to do this - KUL - BRS, then BRS - CDG, then Paris - London, then LHR - KUL.

so i should go KLM/KLC, Easy, Eurostar than another airline?

Or any other combination is good?

The plan is to go see my sister, stay a while there, then go to paris, then go to london, then go back.

Why dont you try KUL-FRA-BRS-FRA-KUL?

if you fly with Star Alliance... your transit will be a breeze since you dont have to change terminals.

if not.. changing terminals in FRA also quite smooth.

Why dont you try KUL-FRA-BRS-FRA-KUL?

if you fly with Star Alliance... your transit will be a breeze since you dont have to change terminals.

if not.. changing terminals in FRA also quite smooth.

That is an interesting route, but the price is higher than KUL-AMS-BRS-AMS-KUL.

Also, i'm kind of on a budget here.

After looking online for a while, KUL-DOH-LHR is very cheap.

Anyone have any idea on how much does the trains from london to bristol will cost me?

After going around the net, i found out that Qatar airways has the cheapest ticket from KUL to LHR - 3.2K for a return trip.

I'll be going to CDG via easyjet, but still unsure for my Paris-London leg of the journey.

Any ideas?

Anyone have any idea on how much does the trains from london to bristol will cost me?

national rail Depends on how early to book. Usually around 35-40 pounds if you buy on the spot :)

After going around the net, i found out that Qatar airways has the cheapest ticket from KUL to LHR - 3.2K for a return trip.

I'll be going to CDG via easyjet, but still unsure for my Paris-London leg of the journey.

Any ideas?

Sharil,

You won't regret QR: it's my favorite airline :pardon:

Paris-London ? take the Eurostar: at least you've also experienced the high-speed train too...about 35-40Euros one-way, but book early !!!

Please, post a TR after the trip ;)

Hi Sharil,

First Great Western has trains between London Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads. If you book in advance the off peak fare is £10 one way. There are no direct train service between Heathrow and Bristol, it requires a change in Hays & Harlington Stn IIRC.

Alternatively you can try the National Express coach. The do have direct service from Heathrow.

If you are planning to take Qatar, you can consider an open jaw ticket, i.e. KUL-DOH-LHR, back on CDG-DOH-KUL. That will save you time and money having to backtrack to London and avoid paying the £40 UK air passenger duty.

Suggest you to drive from LHR to BRS, less than 3 hours.

:drinks:

Most likely the driving will be around bristol only. Sister has a car so it would be fine

Sharil,

You won't regret QR: it's my favorite airline :pardon:

Paris-London ? take the Eurostar: at least you've also experienced the high-speed train too...about 35-40Euros one-way, but book early !!!

Please, post a TR after the trip ;)

If you dont mind my point-and shoot, sure :D

And yeah, the train is really interesting.

Hi Sharil,

First Great Western has trains between London Paddington and Bristol Temple Meads. If you book in advance the off peak fare is £10 one way. There are no direct train service between Heathrow and Bristol, it requires a change in Hays & Harlington Stn IIRC.

Alternatively you can try the National Express coach. The do have direct service from Heathrow.

If you are planning to take Qatar, you can consider an open jaw ticket, i.e. KUL-DOH-LHR, back on CDG-DOH-KUL. That will save you time and money having to backtrack to London and avoid paying the £40 UK air passenger duty.

Yeah, my sister suggested to take that route. So most probably i will be taking that.

My plan is to go to bristol via london, easyjet to paris, then train to london and go back again, so an open-jaw ticket is not pertinent to my itinerary.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

an open-jaw ticket is not pertinent to my itinerary.

An open-jaw ticket is usually also (far) more expensive than a return-ticket :blink:

(try to get the QR A340-600 "pencil" for your DOH-LHR v.v. flights, as these will be retired next year, I've heard)...

An open-jaw ticket is usually also (far) more expensive than a return-ticket :blink:

(try to get the QR A340-600 "pencil" for your DOH-LHR v.v. flights, as these will be retired next year, I've heard)...

actually no... my family regularly buys KUL-London and then ZRH-KUL and as long as it is the same airline, the ticket itself is the same price as a return to London/Zurich. But flying out of Zurich means less airport tax!

after checking online, times and the budget, i decided to take air asia X to go to london.

Now my travel arrangements turns to the trains.

If i take the stansted express, Where do i stop to take a tube to picadilly?

from Liverpool street station (where Stansted express stops) take the central line tube (westbound) to Holborn, then Piccadilly line (westbound) to Picc. circus.

or take the circle line from Liverpool street to King's cross, then change to Piccadilly line to picc circus