Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.
Reach out to us on our Facebook Page for faster approvals

Photo

MAS Privatisation

• Please log in to reply
2374 replies to this topic

#2361 Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Mohd Suhaimi Fariz
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:51 PM

Mh is still serving mealbox/snackbox on KUL/PNH.

PNH high yielding route? Not really.

#2362 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:57 PM

PNH high yielding route? Not really.

How much cut fruit, 250ml bottle and dish cleaning of tray cost? RM 4?

#2363 Chris Tan

Chris Tan
  • Gold Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:33 AM

How much does a side salad cost? While we're at it, how much does a small tub of Häagen-Dazs cost? Heck, I think it's quite stingy of MH not to give out cheap things like soup and caviar. And don't tell me that little praline that you get in F and J at the end of a meal costs more than a few cents. These little things can't possibly cost much, right?

#2364 Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Mohd Suhaimi Fariz
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:05 AM

Even if it cost that much, you think they can recoup it with the yields they have on that flight?

Why do you think AirAsia sells Pak Nasser Nasi Lemak for RM 15, when you can easily buy a Nasi Lemak on ground for less than RM 5?

#2365 jahur

jahur
  • Gold Member
  • 923 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:16 AM

SQ SIN-TPE Y catering cost about sgd30 while J meals are at sgd86 not sure about long haul sectors though. Believe Mab could be around a similar catering pricing during LSG skychef tenure.

Edited by jahur, 21 June 2019 - 11:17 AM.

#2366 Waiping

Waiping

Model Collector/Spotter

• Platinum Member
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

SQ SIN-TPE Y catering cost about sgd30 while J meals are at sgd86 not sure about long haul sectors though. Believe Mab could be around a similar catering pricing during LSG skychef tenure.

That's a whopping RM90!  :o

#2367 jahur

jahur
  • Gold Member
  • 923 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:37 PM

That's a whopping RM90!  :o

Depends on sector and what catering deal packages were assigned on SATS. For example SIN to CGk or SGN Y meals are only 13.50SGD and J 32.67SGD but the price varies depending on travel seasons and airline specification as well.

#2368 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,445 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:48 PM

Why do you think AirAsia sells Pak Nasser Nasi Lemak for RM 15, when you can easily buy a Nasi Lemak on ground for less than RM 5?

Nasi lemak costs more than RM 5 in a good restaurant, though!

Seriously, MAB must again look at their internal overheads and other costs. They also need to review their suppliers' contracts again.

The route network is also in need of review. They need to sweat their assets more and achieve better economies of scale. They have suffered severe flight and cabin crew shortages and they should really come up with a long term plan for these employees to stop the exodus. They also need to have a better recruitment system in place.

Its no easy task but all involved at MAB must focus. The PH government is reluctant to give them any more bailouts.

Edited by flee, 21 June 2019 - 02:48 PM.

#2369 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:30 PM

Even if it cost that much, you think they can recoup it with the yields they have on that flight?

Selling price and cost is different.

Depends on sector and what catering deal packages were assigned on SATS. For example SIN to CGk or SGN Y meals are only 13.50SGD and J 32.67SGD but the price varies depending on travel seasons and airline specification as well.

For certain mh catering couldn't be superior than sq sin/cgk sector.

How much does a side salad cost? While we're at it, how much does a small tub of Häagen-Dazs cost? Heck, I think it's quite stingy of MH not to give out cheap things like soup and caviar. And don't tell me that little praline that you get in F and J at the end of a meal costs more than a few cents. These little things can't possibly cost much, right?

Cx/ka does dish out haagen dazs ice cream in ey class.

Edited by KK Lee, 21 June 2019 - 04:39 PM.

#2370 Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

Mohd Suhaimi Fariz
  • Platinum Member
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:45 PM

Selling price and cost is different.

Missing the point entirely...

#2371 Craig

Craig
  • Gold Member
  • 563 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:11 AM

I am curious if that's the average cost for SQ J on SIN-CGK or just the cost of the standard menu (I can't imagine the BTC Lobster Thermidor option costing $32.67 SGD)

Seriously, MAB must again look at their internal overheads and other costs. They also need to review their suppliers' contracts again.

I'd like to know, if you are the CEO of MAB and you are reviewing the contracts and you noticed that the contract is BS, all signed by your predecessors with hefty penalty for breaking the contract. The supplier/caterer knows that they are ripping MAB off, MAB knows that they are being ripped off, the public knows that MAB is being ripped off, what can/are you going to do with the long-term contract?

#2372 Ja Singh

Ja Singh
  • Gold Member
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:04 PM

Missing the point entirely...

Agreed

I'd like to know, if you are the CEO of MAB and you are reviewing the contracts and you noticed that the contract is BS, all signed by your predecessors with hefty penalty for breaking the contract. The supplier/caterer knows that they are ripping MAB off, MAB knows that they are being ripped off, the public knows that MAB is being ripped off, what can/are you going to do with the long-term contract?[/quote]

Simple.pay the hefty penalty.And correct the situation at hand.But do it right and award tenders correctly.Many SATS stuff come from malaysia.Saw the water bottle that is given to every pax Y CLASS on sin london bottled and packed in malaysia.

#2373 Chris Tan

Chris Tan
  • Gold Member
  • 845 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

Simple.pay the hefty penalty.And correct the situation at hand.But do it right and award tenders correctly.

Really? Is it that easy to make money? I should apply for the CEO position tomorrow. I'll make it the greatest airline turnaround story of the century.

Many SATS stuff come from malaysia.Saw the water bottle that is given to every pax Y CLASS on sin london bottled and packed in malaysia.

I got some nice Toblerone bars on BA. Made in Switzerland I think. Very yummy.

Edited by Chris Tan, 22 June 2019 - 01:38 PM.

#2374 KK Lee

KK Lee
  • Platinum Member
  • 5,163 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 01:48 PM

Malaysia is willing to consider selling the national carrier Malaysia Airlines Bhd (MAB) if there is a good offer for the company, Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad said today.

However, he said the government must first ensure the potential buyer could manage the airline well.

“We have changed their (Malaysian Airlines) leadership many times, each time we were hoping they would do something to turn around the company but they failed… (so) now we want to sell it, but if we sell (it) to people who will fail again, it is not worthwhile.

“We (the government) need to be very careful about choosing the buyer,” he said during a session entitled ‘The Future of Malaysia and ASEAN’ with chief international correspondent, Southeast Asia, Bloomberg Television Haslinda Amin, in conjunction with ASEAN Business Summit in Bangkok, Thailand today.

Dr Mahathir said there were still various options that the government could consider in terms of the airlines future, including undertaking another restructuring exercise or cash injection by the government. 

“Maybe changing the head once again and maybe restructuring or pumping a little of (the) government money and things like that, there are so many options at large,” he said.

When asked by the moderator on what would be the best option for Malaysian Airlines right now, Dr Mahathir said: “If there is a good offer, then we will consider (selling the airlines).” 

Edited by KK Lee, 22 June 2019 - 01:49 PM.

#2375 flee

flee
  • Platinum Member
  • 11,445 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:45 PM

I'd like to know, if you are the CEO of MAB and you are reviewing the contracts and you noticed that the contract is BS, all signed by your predecessors with hefty penalty for breaking the contract. The supplier/caterer knows that they are ripping MAB off, MAB knows that they are being ripped off, the public knows that MAB is being ripped off, what can/are you going to do with the long-term contract?

The Malaysian Airline System Berhad (Administration) Act was passed to clean up MAS before MAB was established. I believe all the unfair contracts have not been transferred over to MAB. Some of the long term aircraft leases also did not make it into MAB.

Supplier contracts should be under constant review in order to keep costs as low as possible, If MAS does not know how, perhaps they should poach some supply chain staff from Airasia! ;)

Edited by flee, Yesterday, 01:47 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users