MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Your Aviation New Year Resolutions

Good day all,

I posted a thread in A.Net on the same topic on 26 December 2006. The year 2007 is about to come to an end and it would be interesting to know how your 'aviation' resolutions (if any) have turn out to be. 24 days to go so there is still time to make up for some.

For me as a commercial passenger, I set the following to be fulfilled in 2007 and their outcome (as at 7 December 2007) are as follows:

• Not to fly in Economy Class domestically (both in Malaysia and Indonesia) unless there is no other choice of carrier (being in Indonesia, only GA provides Business class product and GA doesn't served the city I am currently staying at).

Outcome: Not achieved.

I flew domestically in Malaysia on 10 sectors where 7 of it in Business Class, while the other 3 in Economy Class. The resolution was not applicable in Indonesia as GA spoilt everything by terminating PNK earlier but resumed operation last month, causing this resolution to be in chaos. I flew domestically in Indonesia on 13 sectors, all of which in Economy Class (with LCCs Batavia and Sriwijaya).

• To fly only in Business Class internationally (regionally).

Outcome: Not Achieved.

I flew on 8 sectors with MH regionally (within South East Asia) and only spent 3 of it in Business Class. The remaining 5 sectors were in Economy Class. I also flew on 10 sectors with Batavia Air regionally, all of which in Economy class as Batavia is a LCC.

• To pursue flying in F for the first time.

Outcome: Not Achieved.

I simply don't have the opportunity to do so. But who knows, within this 24 days...

• To perform at least one return long haul journey.

Outcome: ACHIEVED!

I managed to fly on 2 return long haul journey in 2007. KUL-AMS-KUL with MH and KUL-OOL-KUL with AirAsia X.

• To qualify as a MH's Silver Enrich member.

Finally, after all the hard work and sweat.

• To involve in a special aviation related event such as an inaugural flight.

I flew on AirAsia X's inaugural flight to OOL on 2 November 2007.

• To fly at least one sector a month.

Thanks to my boss, I missed out on flying in the month of June 2007. I am still mad at him because of this.

Breakdown of my flying log according to months:

January - 4 sectors

February - 4 sectors

March - 2 sectors

April - 2 sectors

May - 3 sectors

June - NO FLYING!!!

July - 4 sectors

August - 7 sectors

September - 2 sectors

October - 8 sectors

November - 10 sectors

December - None yet but 9 sectors planned

• To collect all 12 issues of MH's inflight magazine, Going Places.

Since I didn't flew in June 2007, I missed out on getting myself that month's copy of Going Places. I did managed to secure one from MH's Golden Lounge in but I didn't get it from flying, so I don't count it as valid. I blame my boss for this failure.

• To break my record of flying (as a commercial passenger) on 42 sectors (in 2006) and 26,079 miles (also in 2006).

So far I flew on 46 sectors covering 40,585 miles in 2007.

• To get the MH's Enrich CIMB credit card.

I got mine in March 2007. It is just a Gold card. I will work hard to be upgraded to Platinum soon.

• To only stick to MH for flying internationally and within Malaysia, GA for flying within Indonesia and Batavia for the routes which weren't served by GA within Indonesia.

I flew on 23 international sectors; 10 MH, 9 Batavia, 2 AirAsiaX and 2 KLM.

I flew on 10 sectors within Malaysia, all 10 were with MH.

I flew on 13 sectors within Indonesia; 11 Batavia and 2 Sriwijaya.

Again, this resolution was made spoilt by GA re-entry into PNK.

• To travel (leisurely) within Indonesia once a month.

I flew on 13 sectors within Indonesia, I missed out on flying in June 2007 and not all of the 13 flights were for leisure.

• So that's mine. Looks like only 5 out of 12 resolutions are achieved, with a successful rate of 42%. Never mind, I shall make it up in 2008.

How about yours? :)

p/s I still have a few flights to perform before the end of the year. So some of the figures above will be changing.

- 8 Dec PNK-CGK Sriwijaya

- 9 Dec CGK-JOG-PNK Batavia

- 20 Dec PNK-KCH Batavia

- 20 Dec KCH-KUL-BKK MH

- 23 Dec BKK-KUL MH

- 26 Dec KUL-CGK EK

- 26 Dec CGK-PNK Batavia

I have achieved collecting all issues of Going Places magazine for 2007 after flying MH for almost every month in 2007 (2 months' issues were with the help of a friend, one of which because the flight I was on was void of a single magazine even on the 2nd day of a new month...unbelieveable!). With that, I'm ending my 3 year non-stop collecting the magazine for I have achieved what I have intended to do since 2005. Therefore there is no more compelling reason to fly on MH, and just in time when their total ticket prices are rising without any decency to notify customers beforehand, and inflight food going in a way that is not to my liking.

I have also achieved flying to almost all major cities and towns in Sabah and Sarawak with the end of 2007, with the exception of Bintulu which I am going to in mid January 2008. These trips were made possible on Air Asia which offered great value fares which were REAL. I couldn't have achieved this by flying the competition, and may not have bothered to visit these places had there not be Air Asia to take me places.

In 2007, I had the good fortune of being on FireFly's inaugural flight PEN-KBR together with another MW member whom I shared some pictures with in a thread in this forum in April.

I also had the opportunity to fly on Fly Asian Xpress just weeks before it closed for business its RAS services. My experience flying on both the Twin Otter and F50 were great and flights were on time on the two sectors I took. Their value-for-money fares will be missed.

On my passion for collectibles, I managed to get some very rare MAS collectible items from the galley after scouring many places, including eBay. Items include crystal wine glasses, silver tray, silver milk pot, silver sauce boat, and Noritake and Wedgwood fine china items. Many thanks to Alan B. for helping me identify their uses and date some of the pieces. Plus, a megarare safety card of a certain controversial jetliner (!)

Going forward, I may slow down visiting local destinations for I have seen much of them already. Any further domestic trips will be on Air Asia for it has won me over with its great products and services.

Edited by Rozhan

I would say flying on the A380. So I see a trip to SYD in the future.........

errr... i dunno if this qualifies...

to build MORE aircraft model in 2008..

as in 2007 i only manage to complete the below models..

- TUDM SU-30MKM

- TUDM MIG-29 NUB

- F-14 Tomcatter

- S-47 Berkut

- Prowler

- RAH Comanche

- F-22

:((

jun

My resolution as a student pilot would be to start landing on the tarmac and not on the grass

Prashant... good one... sorry if what you wrote made me laugh!

As for my resolution...

2006 was my first time flying Singapore Airlines

2007 was my first time flying Royal Brunei Airlines, first time flying on an A320 (AK) and first time flying on B767 (RB)

2008 ... err, I hope to fly for the first time... Firefly and hopefully also first time on ATR72 (better keep a modest resolution, at least it is achievable for me)

Every year I have a simple resolution: not to get killed or maimed or hurt when having a plane ride.

Am still in one coherent piece, so I guess so far so good for me. :)

Every year I have a simple resolution: not to get killed or maimed or hurt when having a plane ride.

Am still in one coherent piece, so I guess so far so good for me. :)

Damn Naim, you stole my line, I have the same resolution! haha... :pardon:

As long as I get to fly and uninjured or killed, I am happy!

But just to be a little bit more greedy for 2008r: Want to hitch a ride on SQ's Airbus A380.... and possibly Emirates Trans-Tasman for the first time. :D Hope this is not a lot.

Edited by S V Choong

- To check out NZ Business Premier long haul - achieved. (AKL-PVG, and returning next week PVG-AKL)

- To maintain AA Platinum status - achieved. (in Sept)

- To book my first DONE4 - achieved. (to commence Jan 2008)

- To plan a trip involving AMS - achieved. (part of DONE4)

- To attain SQ PPS status - not achieved thanks to 'enhancements'; replaced with 'to avoid paying for SQ flights.'

Non-aviation but still travel related:

- To achieve Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum status - will be achieved at completion of current trip this coming Tues. :)

Edited by Keith T

I would say flying on the A380. So I see a trip to SYD in the future.........

Adding the following:

1. Stop flying EY on MH. To only fly Business Class with them on domestic sectors. EY with MH is just not value for money.

2. Fly with FY from SZB

3. Fly AK for destinations not served by FY and when flying EY is the only option.

4. To slow down my purchases of model planes (this one I know I am gonna break)

And to everyone reading this....... wishing you a safe 2008! God Bless and God speed!

To fly all MH fleets again in 2008....of course if possibe, i wanna try other airlines since MH service is on the downturn side now :pardon:

For me,

- to fly premium class (first, business or economy plus) on at least one sector (not achieved, for obvious reason <_>

- to fly with an airline for the first time (achieved - flew Royal Brunei BKI-BWN-BNE; Virgin Blue BNE-SYD; Qantas SYD-BNE; Spanair BIO-MAD; Aegean Airlines ATH-JTR and soon SriLankan LHR-CMB-KUL)

- to be on a flight operated by Turboprop (not achieved)

- avoid Ryanair (achieved) ;)

- to fly premium class (first, business or economy plus) on at least one sector (not achieved, for obvious reason <_< )

i had always dreamt of flying premium, but i had never thought that it'd materialize this soon... mind you i'm still a student, on scholarship and from an average family, so this was indeed a HUGE dream...

i was on MH KUL-LHR flight last sept. the flight was full coz they had to accommodate a large group of ppl who missed their connection flight the night before... i took my time to be among the last few to board the plane only to find out that someone was already sitting in my seat... two people for the same seat... shame on you kakak check in! :angry: there was not even a single spare seat in eco... so guess what, they put me in biz instead!!! :yahoo: what a blessing in disguise...

so i guess that's my lifetime resolution (aviation-wise) achieved! :drinks:

2007 resolutions:

- to fly on at least 3 new carriers: SOON TO ACHIEVE (Thomsonfly, AK and next week BA and Air Berlin)

- to go on at least 3 trips: ACHIEVED (in fact i've been on 5... gonna add one more next week... but i'll still keep the number modest for next year)

- to keep all my boarding passes (owh yes i have a dedicated album for my boarding passes :D : NOT ACHIEVED ( I somehow managed to lose 2 out of 10.. and AK el cheapo boarding passes somehow spoilt the quality of the whole collection :( )

as for 2008:

- the same ones

- must fly Firefly!

- i've always wanted to try different carriers on my yearly london-KUL-london flights... but for the last 4 years, i've always ended up with MH ;) so hopefully next yr i can give this a go...

Edited by zaki

My resolution as a student pilot would be to start landing on the tarmac and not on the grass

:rofl:

Good one dude..

Mine would be to pass my ground school and get over with it once and for all..

2007 resolution was to involve with big projects at any airports in Malaysia and I achieved it when i join the team for the A380 upgrading work at KUL..and now I'm concentrating on the Airport Pavement Management System ( Malaysia ) Project....with 4 International airports involved ( KUL, BKI,PEN and KCH ) and 4 domestics airports at Sabah Sarawak...

for 2008..I hope I get to involve with more projects at airports around the region ( middle east for sure)...InsyaAllah...

my resolution->

-successful in SQ 2nd stage interview,all test,medical checkup.....

-successful enter singapore flight school or any flight school under SQ cadet pilot scheme....

-fly on any airlines since 2007 I didnt fly at all......(which can be achived if SIA call me for the 2nd interview)

may god answer my prayers...... :rolleyes:

2007 finally leaved us. For me, it was a tough year in general.

Since some of us here has posted their 2008 'aviation' resolution, I would like to join the bandwagon. Unlike last year, I will emphasize on COST in 2008 (due to some personal commitments which require a lof of $$$). I managed to achieve 5 out of 12 resolutions I targeted in 2007, which I have mixed feelings about it.

For 2008, I have set 11 'aviation' resolutions, which are:

• To break my record of flying on 53 sectors (achieved in 2007) and 44,751 miles (also achieved in 2007).
    • To perform at least one return long haul journey.
    • To fly at least one sector a month.
    • To pursue flying in F for the first time.
    • To maintain my MH's Silver Enrich membership while keeping a healthy activities in my KLM's Flying Blue and Emirates' Skywards accounts.
    • To involve in a special aviation related event (such as an inaugural flight).
    • To only fly MH for domestic flights in Malaysia.
    • To only fly Batavia for domestic flights in Indonesia. Sriwijaya and Garuda as substitutes if Batavia is sold out with priority to Sriwijaya.
    • To fly the best airline which provide 'value for money' for international sector.
    • To visit at least one new country.
    • And last but not least, to get a DSLR so that I can snap more beautiful photographs, although I am not a spotter (I guess everyone knows that). :)
    Happy New Year 2008.

For 2008:

- To achieve AA Executive Platinum/oneworld Emerald status

- To retain Starwood Platinum status

- To get even more airline upgrades (not operational upgrades - i mean the ones using vouchers) to clear

- To achieve as close to 100% suite upgrades at Starwood properties as possible

- To explore my own backyard - visit one Australian city I've yet to go to

- To avoid LCCs altogether

Edited by Keith T

Argh... I forgot!

One last resolution which is to get myself a BOSE noice cancelling headphone to compliment my travel kit. So 12 resolutions for 2008 altogether.

Argh... I forgot!

One last resolution which is to get myself a BOSE noice cancelling headphone to compliment my travel kit. So 12 resolutions for 2008 altogether.

Try earbud headphones, for e.g. click HERE and HERE. Much cheaper and possibly more effective in keeping outside noise away while enhancing dynamic range. Also portable for trips.

I visited this thread upon reading Fitri Shukri's FY trip report, because I remembered he pointed out specifically that he wanted to fly on FY and ATR 72-500 for the first time earlier on. Upon reading the thread all over again, I was left smiling because many who participated got their resolutions achieved even before the year ended. We still have 4 months to go before making the final reveal whether we have achieved the resolutions or not. Is that nerve wrecking or what hahaha?!

Upon glancing through and calling my memory back - Rozhan, Alan B, Fitri, Dr. Naim, SV Choong, Kenneth T, Fairul and Keith T - good results hey? :)

- To achieve AA Executive Platinum/oneworld Emerald status

Check.

- To retain Starwood Platinum status

Soon - requalifying stay is Westin Bund Centre Shanghai in early October.

- To get even more airline upgrades (not operational upgrades - i mean the ones using vouchers) to clear

Certainly more than last year. So check.

- To achieve as close to 100% suite upgrades at Starwood properties as possible

Too vague - difficult to quantify. So no.

- To explore my own backyard - visit one Australian city I've yet to go to

Adelaide in November.

- To avoid LCCs altogether

So far so good. :D

2007 resolution was to involve with big projects at any airports in Malaysia and I achieved it when i join the team for the A380 upgrading work at KUL..and now I'm concentrating on the Airport Pavement Management System ( Malaysia ) Project....with 4 International airports involved ( KUL, BKI,PEN and KCH ) and 4 domestics airports at Sabah Sarawak...

for 2008..I hope I get to involve with more projects at airports around the region ( middle east for sure)...InsyaAllah...

I'm quoting myself....

Syukran...I've covered the whole Malaysia within 3 years..now am here at middle east..hopefully DOH will be my stepping stone and many more new airports to come :drinks:

Azizul..i considered mine accomplished :)