MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

KL International Airport exceeds service quality targets

SEPANG: The Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) exceeded the service quality targets in October 2018 set under the Malaysian Aviation Commission Airport Quality of Service (QoS) framework.

Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) acting group chief executive officer Raja Azmi Raja Nazuddin said in a statement today that meeting the QoS targets was one of the many initiatives the company was doing to improve guest experience.

SEPANG: The Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) exceeded the service quality targets in October 2018 set under the Malaysian Aviation Commission Airport Quality of Service (QoS) framework.

Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) acting group chief executive officer Raja Azmi Raja Nazuddin said in a statement today that meeting the QoS targets was one of the many initiatives the company was doing to improve guest experience.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/business/business-news/2018/12/21/kl-international-airport-exceeds-service-quality-targets/#T08kJqC0bvOVgA7v.99

I wonder what standards are they basing these targets on

I bet you those standards explicitly exclude the condition and reliability of the inter-terminal train ...

On thursday night the train wasn't working correctly, perhaps recovering from an outage because there were engineers onboard. As we were pulling into the MTB the brakes were suddenly applied and people almost fell over. The onboard engineers then took several minutes of flicking swiches and talking on their radio's to get the thing moving.

On thursday night the train wasn't working correctly, perhaps recovering from an outage because there were engineers onboard. As we were pulling into the MTB the brakes were suddenly applied and people almost fell over. The onboard engineers then took several minutes of flicking swiches and talking on their radio's to get the thing moving.

Believe this has been ongoing for last few weeks. This aerotrain (left track from MTB to satellite) for some temperance couldn't stop at MTB platform correctly.

Edited by KK Lee

I bet you those standards explicitly exclude the condition and reliability of the inter-terminal train ...

In the first month of the QoS implementation, Raja Azmi said, three elements were measured, namely cleanliness of the passenger toilets, condition of the staff toilets and reliability of the ramp Wi-Fi.

He said the second month saw the addition of five new service elements measured, namely availability and reliability of Aerotrain service at KLIA Main Terminal, people movers such as lifts, escalators and walkalators, passenger boarding bridges (aerobridges), efficiency of the visual docking guidance system for aircraft, and operator readiness prior to aircraft on-clock time upon arrival.

Funny how they forgot to include immigration and baggage reclaim wait times on their list.

Reading the article, the targets applied to both passengers and airline/airport staff. Although it is commendable for MAVCOM to set this framework to the airport operator, a lot more could be done. I agree with everyone here that a few crucial aspects failed to be addressed:

1. Baggage reclaim time in KUL is horrendous (this is an elephant in the room).
  2. I know for foreign passport holders, the immigration queue can be horrendous and disorganised.
  3. First security screening after immigration at MTB is pointless.
  4. The aerotrains need to go. It's falling apart and is an embarrassment to the country.
  5. I find landside transit accommodation option at MTB is severely lacking vis a vis KLIA2.
  6. I also find the airside walking area at the Satellite is too narrow and confusing. I hope MAHB can restore the walking area back to its former state. Those shops and restaurants in the middle of the walking area need to go.

There is no security screening after immigration at MTB. That is customs screening - but I see your point of it being almost pointless.

It is so very easy to avoid it altogether if one makes the effort.

Reading the article, the targets applied to both passengers and airline/airport staff. Although it is commendable for MAVCOM to set this framework to the airport operator, a lot more could be done. I agree with everyone here that a few crucial aspects failed to be addressed:

• Baggage reclaim time in KUL is horrendous (this is an elephant in the room).
  • I know for foreign passport holders, the immigration queue can be horrendous and disorganised.
  • First security screening after immigration at MTB is pointless.
  • The aerotrains need to go. It's falling apart and is an embarrassment to the country.
  • I find landside transit accommodation option at MTB is severely lacking vis a vis KLIA2.
  • I also find the airside walking area at the Satellite is too narrow and confusing. I hope MAHB can restore the walking area back to its former state. Those shops and restaurants in the middle of the walking area need to go.

Due to distance from satellite to mtb, not much time could be shortened. Unless the conveyor is changed to magnetic rail/launch type. However, productivity of bags unloader have much to desire.

First security screening is by customs, was the reason for mtb to charge security fees.

Aerotrain maintenance is a shambles, typical of old Malaysia. Hope the new gomen could make relevant changes, although it may take decades.

Mab is more interested to generate revenue from real estate than pax comfort or services.

There is no security screening after immigration at MTB. That is customs screening - but I see your point of it being almost pointless.

It is so very easy to avoid it altogether if one makes the effort.

Just want to ask.

1. What is the intention of Customs screen all pax for at KLIA? Is it for tax purpose?

2. Does other International airport "BKI,KCH,PEN,etc..." have the first screening process at those airport?

Just want to ask.

1. What is the intention of Customs screen all pax for at KLIA? Is it for tax purpose?

2. Does other International airport "BKI,KCH,PEN,etc..." have the first screening process at those airport?

Customs is supposed to spot drugs, live animals and cash smuggling.

It was the reason for mab to impose (rm3?) security fees/surcharge.

Customs is supposed to spot drugs, live animals and cash smuggling.

That's when they're not busy chatting the day away or letting everyone through the metal detectors without a second look.

That's when they're not busy chatting the day away or letting everyone through the metal detectors without a second look.

they are a joke and these days i don't bother to even empty my pockets

Due to distance from satellite to mtb, not much time could be shortened. Unless the conveyor is changed to magnetic rail/launch type. However, productivity of bags unloader have much to desire.

First security screening is by customs, was the reason for mtb to charge security fees.

Aerotrain maintenance is a shambles, typical of old Malaysia. Hope the new gomen could make relevant changes, although it may take decades.

Mab is more interested to generate revenue from real estate than pax comfort or services.

Is the belt speed much different from other airports? I think its more about process, productivity & manpower. Reason is that sometimes the bags come within a few minutes from the satellite gates and other times bags at G/H 2 can take for ever.

1. I also find the airside walking area at the Satellite is too narrow and confusing. I hope MAHB can restore the walking area back to its former state. Those shops and restaurants in the middle of the walking area need to go.

I hope so too. The narrow passage is horrible during peak time.

1) Working as a baggage handler can be very fatiguing. Which is why the ground handlers need to invest in more people (which they aren't doing right now). Imagine lugging tons of luggage in the searing heat every single day with little rest, you'd be demotivated and less productive by the end of the day.

2) That's how they recoup operational costs without charging passengers an arm and a leg, or charge airlines a bomb in landing/parking fees, which would also be transferred to the passengers. If you complain about how expensive the airport tax is right now, imagine what you'd think if they get rid of all those retail outlets and charge what they should actually charge passengers.

Edited by Mohd Suhaimi Fariz

1) Working as a baggage handler can be very fatiguing. Which is why the ground handlers need to invest in more people (which they aren't doing right now). Imagine lugging tons of luggage in the searing heat every single day with little rest, you'd be demotivated and less productive by the end of the day.

2) That's how they recoup operational costs without charging passengers an arm and a leg, or charge airlines a bomb in landing/parking fees, which would also be transferred to the passengers. If you complain about how expensive the airport tax is right now, imagine what you'd think if they get rid of all those retail outlets and charge what they should actually charge passengers.

If one has privy to mab account down to respective department will find expenses and leakages is staggering. Edited by KK Lee

If one has privy to mab account down to respective department will find expenses and leakages is staggering.

Unless you can actually prove that, it's conjecture.

Fact of the matter is both sides are acting like a petulant child, and both should be taken to task for it.

For those who have been with KLIA since opening day in 1998, you can see how much KLIA has been cluttered today.

1. The guardrails and dividers at the international arrival

2. The guardrail at domestic arrival.

3. The addition of shops in the middle of aisles all over the terminals

4. Removal of walkalator replaced by crooked pathway at domestic side of MTB

5. Addition of guardrails and ushers at aerotrain stations, both side.

Care to add to the list?

KLIA's flaws are so long one could write a book about it.

It's been a disappointing 20 years. And with KLIA2, the disappointment continues.

MAHB will continue to syiok sendiri.

Unless you can actually prove that, it's conjecture.

Fact of the matter is both sides are acting like a petulant child, and both should be taken to task for it.

Those who have access know what I am talking about.

KLIA's flaws are so long one could write a book about it.

It's been a disappointing 20 years. And with KLIA2, the disappointment continues.

MAHB will continue to syiok sendiri.

Klia2 is the place to learn what not to design or build for airport.

'Flaw' as in service quality, management and maintenance, right?

If flaw in building design would mean hazard to safety, then it should not be opened in the beginning!

Those who have access know what I am talking about.

Klia2 is the place to learn what not to design or build for airport.

To paraphrase one of the experienced members here: pax may be loyal to airport but airport may not be loyal to pax

For those who have been with KLIA since opening day in 1998, you can see how much KLIA has been cluttered today.

1. The guardrails and dividers at the international arrival

2. The guardrail at domestic arrival.

3. The addition of shops in the middle of aisles all over the terminals

4. Removal of walkalator replaced by crooked pathway at domestic side of MTB

5. Addition of guardrails and ushers at aerotrain stations, both side.

Care to add to the list?

I don't know how it got Bomba approval? If there is a fire, a lot of people will be trapped because those kiosks will block the corridors and also contribute fuel to the fire.

Sign in to follow this