MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Khalil Abd Halim

MAB: No More Alcoholic Beverages For Flight Less than 3 hours

This was reported by our resident MH guru Suzzane a few months ago, I believe. Can't remember which thread but it's definitely not the first I'm reading about this.

My trip SIN>BKK Thai Airways we had options for red wine and beer while on Ethiopian Airlines BKK>KUL we had beer. Both flights were on economy class. If MH would like to keep up its standard they would've at least try to serve them to hard paying Business Class passengers especially now they're codesharing with Emirates on domestics.

Remembered reading this few months ago. Didn't realised it actually went into effect.

Honestly a very stupid decision, especially if you're trying to get back in the black and rebuild your brand (for the better I hope), the last thing you would want to do is to alienate your customers, especially them premium fliers.

i just dont like that they blame it on passengers demographic rather than admitting it as part of cost cutting measure

Because it generates good PR along with all other "enhancements" along the way.

well as least this brings it in line with the KUL/KCH - SIN no alcohol served policy ... even when these flights operated as "First" (till sometime 2010?) and Economy cabin. (any idea why the typical business seats were sold as "First" ?)

Because back in those days, the 734s and 732s only came in First and Economy labelled cabins, with the First cabin in the 734 being 3 rows of seats within the same cabin footprint as 4 rows of business class seats.

Because back in those days, the 734s and 732s only came in First and Economy labelled cabins, with the First cabin in the 734 being 3 rows of seats within the same cabin footprint as 4 rows of business class seats.

But that was back in the 90s.

On routes to/ from SIN, I think fares were regulated and there were only prices for F and Y.

Was at mh f lounge recently; overheard next table, a ba gold ffp traveller complained that he will not take mh short haul again.

Absolutely not. I flew MH 366 early August and there was alcohol in the menu.

Change could have been effected between time you flew and time Mr Powell flew, which by inference from article date and content is likely on 28 Aug :)

Aside from religious sensitivities, too much alcohol has caused problems on board. So, banning alcohol on flights may not be such a bad thing.

Aside from religious sensitivities, too much alcohol has caused problems on board. So, banning alcohol on flights may not be such a bad thing.

As if supply of alcohol is uncontrolled or unlimited.

For instances, in order to give and maintain better inflight dining service, crew hardly to say no if the customers request for it otherwise they will complain eventhough they are already overdrinking..

Change could have been effected between time you flew and time Mr Powell flew, which by inference from article date and content is likely on 28 Aug :)

MH had always been very inconsistent about distributing menu in J, based on my limited experience with them. Since crew had a copy of menu, I think likely menu is available, just that crew did not want/bother to distribute it to pax?

Also, the alcoholic beverages are not listed together with the food menu, it is in a separate booklet (if my memory serves me right).

Based on the blog post, the writer did not seem to ask if there's alcoholic beverages available, and just assume that is it no available since it's not printed on the food menu?

"Next thing was that printed menus were no longer distributed, only one menu was available which was kept by the crew. I had a look at it and it didnt feature any alcoholic beverages whatsoever. Since I was tired from the night before I didnt bother to eat or drink anything on board except the signature satay and sparkling water.

John wrote about MHs elimination of alcohol on shorter flights back in February (see here). The Taipei flight is scheduled with 4:40h though and always had drinks before which is why I was surprised."

For instances, in order to give and maintain better inflight dining service, crew hardly to say no if the customers request for it otherwise they will complain eventhough they are already overdrinking..

If intoxication could be a safety issue, airline would have banned self service alcohol at airport lounge.

Edited by KK Lee

Sign in to follow this