MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
khairuddin abu hanifah

Garuda Indonesia Non-Stop Service from London Heathrow to Jakarta and Denpasar Bali

Posted on February 1, 2013 by Tom Allet

Garuda Indonesia, the national airline for Indonesia, has announced that it has chosen Gatwick to operate direct flights between London and Jakarta. This will make Gatwick the only UK airport to connect passengers directly to the largest economy in South East Asia.

From the fourth quarter of 2013, business and leisure passengers will be able to fly direct between Indonesia and the UK six times per week. Garuda Indonesia will operate Boeing 777-300 Extended Range aircraft capable of carrying over 300 passengers. The UK is now one of the largest markets to Indonesia with 160,000 people currently travelling to the region on business and leisure (source: Based on 2011 MIDT data).

Gatwick’s Chief Executive Stewart Wingate said: “We are delighted that Garuda
Indonesia has chosen Gatwick to operate this vital direct route. Despite being a crucial high growth business market for the UK, Indonesia has been underserved with no direct routes to the region from the UK – until now. Jakarta is also a major hub airport for South East Asia, giving UK passengers even more access and choice to the region.

“Whilst the UK is one of the best connected countries in the world, we do need more direct links to key markets such as Indonesia. At Gatwick, we’re playing our part by investing in the airport and, with our airlines, opening new routes to growing economies such as China, Russia, Turkey, Vietnam and now Indonesia. We look forward to welcoming Garuda Indonesia later this year.”

Garuda Indonesia’s President and CEO, Emirsyah Satar, said that the new
Jakarta-London direct flight will complement the existing Jakarta – Abu Dhabi –
Amsterdam route, as part of the airline’s Quantum Leap 2011-2015 programme to
develop the international network and become a ‘global player’.

“This flight will be more convenient since it will be serving passengers -
non-stop – from Jakarta to London with the brand new B777-300ER, which will be
equipped with Wi-Fi and a chef on board for First Class passengers.

“We chose Gatwick, London as the UK airport because of its convenience and good
network and accessibility options into Europe and beyond,” Mr Satar added.

Garuda Indonesia has also expanded its flight network to Europe through codeshare agreements with other international airlines, including Etihad Airways, which enables passengers to fly into seven major cities across Europe.

Source: http://www.airportsinternational.com/2013/02/garuda-announces-gatwick-link/12063?goback=.gde_84160_member_210199376

From the blog of the founder of Indoflyer:

I think we should keep a close eyes on this one. I am predicting GA's fares will be extremely attractive, it is a far flung non stop route (a whopping 7,276 miles each way) and it will be served by GA's spanking brand new very low density B77W.

SUNDAY, JANUARY 20, 2013

Garuda returns to London in October 2013

Garuda-Logo-Vertical-1024.jpg
Garuda's Vice President for Marketing, Amelia Syafrina Dewi Nasution, announced during a visit to the United Kingdom recently that Garuda is to return to London this year with a non-stop service:

"When the new service begins in october this year, this will be the first non-stop scheduled service between Jakarta and London. Schedules and fares are now being finalized, and full details will be announced before the flights go on sale in April."

4 new Boeing 777-300ERs to be delivered this year. It has been touted that the new 777-300ERs will be used for Jakarta-Amsterdam non-stop replacing the Jakarta-Abu Dhabi-Amsterdam and the A330-200 service will then be moved elsewhere later when Frankfurt gets the 777-300ER. This announcement for London non-stop will likely change those plans, however the frequency of the planned London service remains a mystery. The Boeing 777-300ER will have 184 Economy Class seats, 42 flat-bed Business Class seats and 8 First Class cabins.
This piece of news was found on the website Alternative Airlines, which is part of Flight Directors, Garuda's General Sales Agents in the United Kingdom. The news builds on December's announcement by the CEO Emirsyah Satar of the airline's plan to fly to London in late 2013 or early 2014. He cited that there is an estimated 5,000 passengers flying between Indonesia and the United Kingdom every day.

From the blog of the founder of Indoflyer:

I think we should keep a close eyes on this one. I am predicting GA's fares will be extremely attractive, it is a far flung non stop route (a whopping 7,276 miles each way) and it will be served by GA's spanking brand new very low density B77W.

B77W with 184 economy seats only?

Awesome Garuda B77W interior.

An entirely new First Class product with 8 seats

New Business Class product with 38 seats

New Economy Class product with 268 seats configured 3-3-3 abreast.

Total seat is 314 seats.

I'd try it. Looks very decent and not 'musnah harapan' at all. I like the colours. As much as I love flying with TG, there is a little too much purple in Royal Silk on the A380. Economy class seat covers look a tad awful with that pattern. Reminds me of reading trip reports on A.net on Biman's older planes. Well done though. :)

Looks great! I might give them a go (but only after they've joined SkyTeam) if the prices are very attrctive.

The first class seats are the same as the ones MH is using on their A380. Those business class seats look fantastic! MH should've been using these ones on their A380 really.

Looks great! I might give them a go (but only after they've joined SkyTeam) if the prices are very attrctive.

The first class seats are the same as the ones MH is using on their A380. Those business class seats look fantastic! MH should've been using these ones on their A380 really.

They're listening to you as they're bringing it to SYD soon also....

I think the F is very similar but it's not exactly the same product though they are both products of BE Aerospace. CMIIW.

I think the F is very similar but it's not exactly the same product though they are both products of BE Aerospace. CMIIW.

It's actually the same one. The more noticeable difference is that the MAS one doesn't have such high partition. Asiana Airlines new First Class Suite is of the exact same model but theirs come with a sliding door.

It's actually the same one. The more noticeable difference is that the MAS one doesn't have such high partition. Asiana Airlines new First Class Suite is of the exact same model but theirs come with a sliding door.

Thanks for the info. The Asiana First Suite boasts a 32-inches screen instead of the more common 23-inches.

Anyway, looking at the GA video, seems like there is a flush pull handle on each side of the partition.

Do you know if these are the two-sided doors version of the BE Oasis Suite?

And it's flying to Sydney, woohoo. BA replaces ageing B747 with B773ER, now Garuda... MAS on the other hand swap B747 for A333, aiyah!

Thanks for the info. The Asiana First Suite boasts a 32-inches screen instead of the more common 23-inches.

Anyway, looking at the GA video, seems like there is a flush pull handle on each side of the partition.

Do you know if these are the two-sided doors version of the BE Oasis Suite?

It doesn't seem like there is a door on the GA new F though. So i believe it's not.

And it's flying to Sydney, woohoo. BA replaces ageing B747 with B773ER, now Garuda... MAS on the other hand swap B747 for A333, aiyah!

333 is not the problem. CX AUS services are all on the 333 too. The main problem is the Business Class seat offered on MAS 333.

333 is not the problem. CX AUS services are all on the 333 too. The main problem is the Business Class seat offered on MAS 333.

............ which is at par with D7 and light years behind other legacy carriers, to say the least ............. :unknw:

:hi:

It doesn't seem like there is a door on the GA new F though. So i believe it's not.

There is a door on GA's new F. It is basically the same seat as the EY's OASIS suite from B/E Areospace which has 2 sided door.

I really like the choice of the color schemes and the materials for both the F and the C seats. I think GA has got it right this time around. The decision to go for the Sogerma Soltys seats for C is a good one.

Edited by TJANDY

GA's First Class Suite comes with sliding doors just like OZ, this ad confirmed.

They are yet to announce the extra services for F passengers other than the already much publicized Free Wi-fi & In-Flight Broadband TV, Chef-on-Board, and Immigration-on-Board. Limousine service and private butler has been mentioned in other forum, among others that will include upgrades for the J passengers.

Looks like they are seriously trying too woo back those wealthy Indonesians currently flying premium classes of their northern neighbour rivals.

https://twitter.com/dtimor/status/336475529131728896/photo/1/large

What lah MAS punya bean counters... save a few pennies here and there. Garuda is now offering a better premium product, SQ is coming up with a new cabin...

How lah u want to compete?

What lah MAS punya bean counters... save a few pennies here and there. Garuda is now offering a better premium product, SQ is coming up with a new cabin...

How lah u want to compete?

To address lack of 'sliding door' on MH's F suites compared to competitors' offerings, bean counters could possibly offer draping of sarong or similar materials across entrance as enhancement to said suites' privacy :lol: