MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Azizul Ramli

Guide on Regional Flights by Non Regional Airlines

Hi folks,

As MH is getting worse and AK is getting boring, help me to compile regional services offered by non regional airlines within South East Asia (and maybe a bit beyond to southern China) for some changes in flying experience. Getting a bit technical, all this flights are fall under the 5th freedom agreement between the originating countries, the destination countries and the airlines and naturally, they are a short tag on from long inter continental flights.

*Definition:

Regional service - flights from a point in South East Asia into another point in South East Asia

Non Regional Airlines - airlines not from any countries of South East Asia

FROM KUL

The most dearest to me and something that I had flown myself:

Route: KUL-CGK vv

Airline: KLM Royal Dutch Airline

Schedule: Daily [KUL-CGK ETD 17:10 ETA 18:10] [CGK-KUL ETD 19:25 ETA 22:20]

Class offered: J and Y

Equipment: Boeing 777-300 ER and Boeing 777-200 ER

Price Range: As low as MYR 350 return all inclusive

Online Booking: www.klm.com

Trivia/Info: J class passengers will be given the famous miniature Delf house as a gift.

Those that I knew dearly but haven't try out myself:

Route: KUL-DPS vv

Airline: Qatar Airways

Schedule: 4 weekly every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday [KUL-DPS ETD 15:00 ETA 18:00] [DPS-KUL ETD 23:35 ETA 02:35 + 1 day later]

Equipment: Airbus A330-200 and Airbus A330-300

Price Range: As low as MYR 540 return all inclusive

Online Booking: www.qatarairways.com

Trivia/Info: The service will be terminated in early next year but QR will do the DPS run still via SIN instead (SIN-DPS-SIN beginning early 2010)

Route: KUL-BKK vv

Airline: Lufthansa

Schedule: 4 weekly every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday [KUL-BKK ETD 21:30 ETA 22:40] [bKK-KUL ETD 15:05 ETA 18:05]

Equipment: Boeing 747-400

Price Range: As low as MYR 510 return all inclusive

Online Booking: www.lufthansa.com

Trivia/Info: -

KUL used to be graced by Emirates' KUL-CGK vv run, but it was terminated on 29 September 2008 (I was on the very last flight). Flight EK 346/347 ran 3 weekly using 2 class Boeing 777-300 ER. Many other second rated Middle East airlines like Saudi Arabian Airlines, Kuwait Airways and Yemenia also fly from KUL into CGK but other than Kuwait Airways, I am not sure whether the flights are bookable or not. KUL-CGK vv with Kuwait Airways is possible but ticket can only be purchased from their ticketing office in Kuala Lumpur.

There is also KUL-SIN vv with Japan Airlines, but it can't be purchased online and the fare is a bit steep. Does anyone know the details? Air Madagascar and GMG Airlines are plying the KUL-BKK vv route, is it bookable? Air Mauritius' and Sri Lankan's KUL-SIN vv is not bookable, right?

I hope fellow members can help to complete the guide with flights originating from other regional airports especially those from SIN and BKK, South East Asia's biggest airports where there are a lot of flights of this nature. Some pointers that I may share:

• SWISS' SIN-BKK vv is it still operational?
  • Lufthansa's SIN-CGK vv is it still operational?
  • Cathay Pacific's SIN-BKK vv
  • Qatar Airways' SIN-CGK vv
  • United Airlines' SIN-HKG vv?
  • Emirates' daily BKK-HKG vv using a 3 class Boeing 777-300
  • Lufthansa's BKK-SGN vv on the other 3 days the aircraft doesn't come to KUL
  • Air France's BKK-SGN vv and BKK-HAN vv (?)
  • KLM's BKK-MNL vv?
  • Biman Bangladesh's SIN-BKK vv made famous my Airpearl is it still bookable?
  • Kenya Airways' BKK-HKG vv

Would appreciate those participating to use the format as above for detail of the flights. The thread is also the place to inform should there is any changes in schedule or equipment in the future.

In addition to what you have added/ stated

SIN-CGK vv by QR, JQ

SIN-CMB vv by CX (ok, so CMB is not in SEAsia, but you have stretched the geography by including CX and HKG when you did say an airline based in a city outside of SEAsia to a SEAsian city)

BKK-HKG vv by Ethiopian, UL, CI, RJ

SIN-BKK vv by CX

Edited by Mushrif A

I hope fellow members can help to complete the guide with flights originating from other regional airports especially those from SIN and BKK, South East Asia's biggest airports where there are a lot of flights of this nature. Some pointers that I may share:

• SWISS' SIN-BKK vv is it still operational?
  • Lufthansa's SIN-CGK vv is it still operational?

Would appreciate those participating to use the format as above for detail of the flights. The thread is also the place to inform should there is any changes in schedule or equipment in the future.

LX has terminated SIN-BKK along with a plethora of far flung airlines like AY, SK, SU, TK and not forgetting the rest of the airlines which also used to fly this route like QF, NZ, OZ, BG, RN etc. No more cheap JCL fares anymore! :( Oh yes, how can I forget the now-defunct Angel Air utilising leased MH 737-400 also flew this route.

LH's SIN-CGK is still very much alive although their fares are very similar to SQ. Any fool would know which airline to choose!

Well, i can tell at least a proposed route (but likely to be operational soon) ...

TK will start IST-MNL with A330 soon. Preferably via BKK ! They are in negotiations with Philippine/Thai authorities regarding traffic rights.

If they don´t get local rights for BKK-MNL they will go IST-MNL non-stop ... (statement by TK CEO)

[*]Air France's BKK-SGN vv and BKK-HAN vv (?)

[*]KLM's BKK-MNL vv?

Azizul,

You can fly BKK-SGN v.v. 4 times a week on AF A340...the other 3 times it's BKK-HAN v.v.

LH operates also 4 times a week BKK-SGN v.v. with 744

KL does not operate BKK-MNL anymore for years...it's now non-stop AMS-MNL v.v. You can still fly BKK-TPE v.v. on 744's though...

There is also KUL-SIN vv with Japan Airlines, but it can't be purchased online and the fare is a bit steep. Does anyone know the details?

Route: KUL-SIN vv

Airline: Japan Airlines

Schedule: X weekly every X [KUL-SIN ETD 20:40 ETA 21:45] [sIN-KUL ETD 19:50 ETA 20:50]

Equipment: Boeing 767-300 ER

Price Range: As low as USD 210 return all inclusive

Online Booking: www.expedia.com

Was told by C.Foo that we can also book through OneWorld's website but I didn't try it. The price quoted by Expedia is quite steep in my opinion. Would appreciate is someone can help me on the info of the number of weekly flights. It is definitely not daily, is it 4, 5 or 6 weekly?

Well, i can tell at least a proposed route (but likely to be operational soon) ...

TK will start IST-MNL with A330 soon. Preferably via BKK ! They are in negotiations with Philippine/Thai authorities regarding traffic rights.

If they don´t get local rights for BKK-MNL they will go IST-MNL non-stop ... (statement by TK CEO)

The recent news also revealed that TK will start plying the SIN-CGK vv route, a tag-on for their IST-SIN vv route. However, it was later revealed that TK doesn't have a 5th freedom right to carry passengers from SIN to CGK and vice versa.

LH operates also 4 times a week BKK-SGN v.v. with 744

Was it 3 weekly? Because I am quite certain that this service is paired with KUL. LH serves BKK daily with the Boeing 747-400, 4 out of the 7 weekly flights continuing on to KUL, while on the remaining 3 days it continuing on to SGN.

Many other second rated Middle East airlines like Saudi Arabian Airlines, Kuwait Airways and Yemenia also fly from KUL into CGK but other than Kuwait Airways, I am not sure whether the flights are bookable or not. KUL-CGK vv with Kuwait Airways is possible but ticket can only be purchased from their ticketing office in Kuala Lumpur.

Just to share my correspondence with Kuwait Airways on query of their KUL-CGK vv sector.

Dear Sir,

Warmest greeting from Roystar! Sir, do u need any help for the Jakarta Booking?? I can assits you in anyway! Sent me your details, departure date! i will make the booking for you! call me up, Im Ms LV if u need any further information or assistance!Thanks

Best Regards,

Ms LV Chan

Operation - Western Outbound

ROYSTAR TRAVEL & TOURS SDN BHD

171 & 171-1 Jalan Imbi

55100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Tel : 03-21430188 Ext: 112

Fax: 03-21430388

Email: western@roystartravel.com.my

Hello Ms LV Chan,

May I know:

- How much is the price of a ticket for one adult KUL-CGK on X date?

- Is there a flight on X date? May I know the schedule (the ETD and ETA)? What type of aircraft are they using for the sector?

I need to know these before making the decision.

Azizul

Good morning,sir!

Sir for the X date depart, unfortunately Kuwait Airways dont have any flight to Jakarta! Due to the Peak Season period, the might cut out some of the routing! Or you can choose to travel on Y date ?Please let me know! Thanks

Best Regards,

Ms LV Chan

Operation - Western Outbound

ROYSTAR TRAVEL & TOURS SDN BHD

171 & 171-1 Jalan Imbi

55100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Tel : 03-21430188 Ext: 112

Fax: 03-21430388

Email: western@roystartravel.com.my

So, for Kuwait Airways, bookings are in charged by Roystar Travel and Tours Sdn. Bhd. whom I believe is their GSA agent in Malaysia. The flight/aircraft service and frequency looks very patchy (instant cancellation, non fixed schedule etc) but the good and prompt service provided by Ms. LV Chan is much appreciated. While KU's booking engine is not as sophisticated as EK, EY or QR, I still hope if the service is bookable, we travellers can do so from their website.

KL does not operate BKK-MNL anymore for years...it's now non-stop AMS-MNL v.v. You can still fly BKK-TPE v.v. on 744's though...

KL used to fly between KUL/MNL 4-weekly using 74M before it changed to KUL/CGK.

Route: KUL-SIN vv

Airline: Japan Airlines

Schedule: X weekly every X [KUL-SIN ETD 20:40 ETA 21:45] [sIN-KUL ETD 19:50 ETA 20:50]

Equipment: Boeing 767-300 ER

Price Range: As low as USD 210 return all inclusive

Online Booking: www.expedia.com

Was told by C.Foo that we can also book through OneWorld's website but I didn't try it. The price quoted by Expedia is quite steep in my opinion. Would appreciate is someone can help me on the info of the number of weekly flights. It is definitely not daily, is it 4, 5 or 6 weekly?

It is a daily flight (KIX-SIN-KUL-SIN-KIX), JL721/JL722, 763ER. JL usually have special fare ex-SIN only.

Edited by Isaac

New service announced by KLM! 3 weekly SIN-DPS vv on Boeing 777-300 ER aircraft beginning 6 December 2009. The schedule are as follows:

KL835 SIN DPS 1730 2010 - days 1 3 6 - B77W

KL836 DPS SIN 2130 0005 - days 1 3 6 - B77W

This flight is an add-on to the AMS-SIN vv flight. It looks like there will be 2 new players for the SIN-DPS vv sector, KLM and Qatar Airways (which will change their KUL-DPS vv tag-on from DOH to SIN-DPS vv flight beginning 2010). The news also came out at the time KLM revealed a new uniform for their crews.

klm%2002.jpg

klm%2003.jpg

On the uniform part: IMHO not an improvement :(

On the schedule part: SIN will have 2 different flightnumbers: KL837 to SIN only, and KL0835 to SIN and DPS...guess, they want to make better use of the 77W's (i.s.o. being idle at SIN for a few hours)...

Yea, A.Net seems united about that as well, especially the one with the big long sleeve white shirt underneath the KLM blue dress. But the one on the guys look nice.

Yea, A.Net seems united about that as well, especially the one with the big long sleeve white shirt underneath the KLM blue dress. But the one on the guys look nice.

Yeah, exactly what I meant: those white sleeves underneath the blue dress is awful :angry:

The only guy in the picture is Mart Visser, the designer; the men's uniform will not be changed...

It's hideous ! The management must be high on ecstasy when they approved this. The current uniforms look so much nicer. Pity those KL crew. They will all be a joke to crew of all other airlines.

Edited by Isaac

altho we have gone a bit off topic, hehe.. but yes i agree with Pieter.

the uniform does not look professional at all. i prefer the preset uniform. as for male uniform, i have worn it for about a year before our company changed our name to CObalt in LHR and i never liked the KLM uniform for male. maybe because i used to wear the BA ones that really fit to our size.. unlike KLM ones that were so loose i felt like i have a flap around my waist..

anyway, we will pretty much get used to the new uniform i guess after a year or so..

FWIW...

JQ no longer fly SIN-CGK, 3K fly SIN-CGK-PER on their behalf (still JQ flight number).

JQ do however fly 4x weekly DPS-SIN-DPS (Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat) and operate two return services from SIN each day for 3K (PEN 3K673/674 and BKK 3K515/516)

We are all aware that LH will start receiving the first of its 15 A380s by this coming summer. And by the look of it, the FRA-BKK vv sector is high on the list to get one of the A380s. If the route really being upgraded to A380 from the present B744, would it's tag-ons will be getting the A380s as well? I mean it may sounds a bit weird (because at the moment, there are no A380s doing a tag-on service) but if BKK gets it, the tag-ons into KUL and SGN will definitely getting it too, right?

I mean it may sounds a bit weird (because at the moment, there are no A380s doing a tag-on service)

I stand corrected - EK does a tag-on service SYD-AKL vv on a daily basis (duh...)! So, LH's BKK-KUL A380 tag-on service is not entirely impossible.

The A.Net news mentioned the cut will take effect on 17 January 2010. I did a search on OneWorld's website and they still showing flight JL 722 KUL-SIN and JL 721 SIN-KUL as available for journey in April 2010. Expedia also shows flight JL 722 KUL-SIN as available but no flight JL 721. So what's the actual status? The KUL-SIN sector is still available through JL's flight out of NRT? It's a triangular route (NRT-KUL-SIN-NRT) thus no SIN-KUL flight? OneWorld's website is not updated accodingly?

Tokyo, November 5, 2009: The JAL Group announced today, further changes to its overall route and flight frequency plan for the second half of FY2009, and plans for a portion of its domestic passenger operations for the first half of FY2010.

With a focus on improving profitability and reducing costs, a bold review of underperforming routes was conducted, as slated in the Progress Report of its Medium Term Corporate Plan issued June 19, 2009. As a result, the JAL Group will discontinue operations on 8 international and 8 domestic routes, as well as 1 cargo route. Flight frequency on 2 international routes will also be reduced, and the total effect of these changes is a trim down of 61, 91 and 3 weekly return flights in the international, domestic and cargo networks respectively.

In summary, within the three fiscal half-years of April 2009 to September 2010, reductions and suspensions were decided to be carried out on a total of 13 international, 15 domestic and 2 cargo routes, along with the closure of 4 overseas and 2 domestic offices.

Aircraft used on a total of 5 routes will be also be downsized as JAL progressively renews its fleet with more fuel-efficient aircraft.

International Passenger Operations

Route Suspension

Route Details Date Effective Remarks

Osaka (Kansai) = Hangzhou Service suspension of 7 weekly flights Dec 7, 2009 Closure of Hangzhou office

Tokyo (Narita) = Hangzhou Service suspension of 7 weekly flights Dec 7, 2009

Tokyo (Narita) = Qingdao Service suspension of 7 weekly flights Dec 7, 2009 Closure of Qingdao office

Tokyo (Narita) = Xiamen Service suspension of 3 weekly flights Dec 7, 2009 Closure of Xiamen office

Osaka (Kansai) = Busan Service suspension of 7 weekly flights Jan 12, 2010

Osaka (Kansai) = Hanoi Service suspension of 7 weekly flights Jan 12, 2010

Osaka (Kansai) = Singapore = Kuala Lumpur Service suspension of 7 weekly flights Jan 17, 2010

Tokyo (Narita) = Vancouver = Mexico City Service suspension of 2 weekly flights Jan 18, 2010 Closure of Mexico City office

Suspensions already announced: Osaka (Kansai) = London, Incheon, Dalian, and Nagoya (Chubu) = Paris, Incheon (5 routes / 35 weekly flights)

Decrease in flight frequency

Route Details Date Effective

Tokyo (Narita) = Taipei Decrease flight frequency from 28 to 21 flights per week. Dec 7, 2009

Tokyo (Narita) = London Decrease flight frequency from 14 to 7 flights per week. Dec 7, 2009

Reductions already announced: Tokyo (Narita) = New York, Bangkok, Guangzhou, Incheon, New Delhi / Osaka (Kansai) = Guangzhou, Shanghai / Nagoya (Chubu) = Guangzhou / Tokyo (Haneda) = Hong Kong (9 routes / 47 weekly flights)

Increase in flight frequency

Route Details Date Effective

Tokyo (Narita) = Vancouver Increase flight frequency from 5 to 7 flights per week. Jan 18, 2010

Increments already announced: Tokyo (Haneda) = Beijing (1 route / 7 weekly flights)

Aircraft Change

Route Current aircraft Aircraft after change Date effective

Tokyo (Narita) = Taipei (JL645/646) 767-300ER 737-800 December 7, 2009

Nagoya (Chubu) = Taipei (JL655/656) 767-300ER 737-800 December 7, 2009

Osaka (Kansai) = Taipei (653/652) 767-300ER 737-800 January 12, 2010

Osaka (Kansai) = Beijing 767-300ER 737-800 January 12, 2010

Tokyo (Narita) = Hong Kong (JL735/736) 747-400 767-300ER January 12, 2010

Domestic Passenger Operations

Route Suspension

Route Details Date Effective Remarks

Nagoya (Chubu) = Kumamoto Service suspension of 2 daily flights February 1, 2010 Included in FY09 Plans

Tokyo (Haneda) = Kobe Service suspension of 2 daily flights April 1, 2010

Nagoya (Chubu) = Iwate-hanamaki Service suspension of 2 daily flights May 6, 2010

Nagoya (Chubu) = Kushiro Service suspension of 1 daily flights May 6, 2010

Kitakyushu = Okinawa (Naha) Service suspension of 1 daily flights May 6, 2010

Kobe = Sapporo Service suspension of 2 daily flights June 1, 2010 Closure of Kobe office

Kobe = Okinawa (Naha) Service suspension of 2 daily flights June 1, 2010

Kobe = Ishigaki Service suspension of 1 daily flights June 1, 2010

Suspensions already announced: Osaka (Kansai) = Memanbetsu, Obihiro, Kushiro, Aomori, Asahikawa / Okinawa (Naha) = Aguni (Closure of Aguni office) / Osaka (Itami) = Tanegashima (7 routes / 9 daily flights)

Cargo Operations

Route Suspension Route Details Date Effective Remarks

Tokyo (Narita) = Qingdao Service suspension of 3 weekly flights December 7, 2009 Closure of Qingdao office

Suspensions already announced: Tokyo (Narita) = London (1 route / 3 weekly flights)

JAL apologizes for any inconvenience caused as a result of the above changes and seeks the kind understanding of its passengers as the airline strives toward improving profitability with continued emphasis on providing valuable customers with the highest levels of safety, on-time performance and service.

===========================================================================================

Think JAL will mean KIX-SIN-KUL v.v.