MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Craig

Malaysia Missed Out on New HND Slots

Malaysia yet again failed to receive any additional HND slots for 2020. The new slots recipients:

USA - 12

China - 4

Russia - 2

Australia - 2

India - 1

Italy - 1

Turkey - 1

Finland - 1

Denmark - 1

So we wont see MH at HND whilst almost every other neighboring country (SG, VN, TH, PH, ID) has multiple HND slots (including daytime). MY only has one night time. Didnt know TR, FI, and DK has more ties to Japan than Malaysia 😳

Mh don't seem to value hnd slot. D7 prefer cheaper option.

More like MH does not know what to do with it! D7 is happy to have the HND slots as it can charge slight premiums on HND flights.

I believe that Malaysia may not have applied for more slots at HND while other countries know of their value as we head into the 2020 Olympics.

MH - JL partnership on the way, there are always ways to work around it. Besides MH doing kinda well on NRT sector, hence no urgency on high cost HND slots. There are other issues plaguing MH instead of securing lucrative slots at this time.

I believe that Malaysia may not have applied for more slots at HND while other countries know of their value as we head into the 2020 Olympics.

I am pretty sure Malaysia applied for HND slots. They just didn't get it. MH really wants a HND flight (they have been saying that want it). Any country would be dumb to not apply for one.

MH - JL partnership on the way, there are always ways to work around it. Besides MH doing kinda well on NRT sector, hence no urgency on high cost HND slots. There are other issues plaguing MH instead of securing lucrative slots at this time.

There is no "cost" for the HND slot. It's not LHR slot. Slots are awarded by Japan and can't be swapped to/from another country. MH however can buy the nighttime slot from D7 if MH want to provided D7 is willing to sell theirs. MH-JL partnership doesn't allow a HND slot either (I am more surprised that JL didn't push hard for a HND-MY slot). There is only one daily HND-MY slot allocated for each country. Hence NH and D7 are the only ones offering service between MY and HND.

More like MH does not know what to do with it! D7 is happy to have the HND slots as it can charge slight premiums on HND flights.

More like when MAVCOM allocated the slots, they gave 4 weekly flights to D7 and 3 to MH (or vice versa). MH didn't know what to do with it because it was only 3-4 weekly flights.

Edited by Craig

MH really wants a HND flight (they have been saying that want it). Any country would be dumb to not apply for one.

I recall MH did at some point in time utilized their HND slots for flights to/fro BKI

Maybe, and just maybe, the Japanese took historical precedence into consideration and reasoned that we Malaysians generally fail to appreciate the premium value of a HND slot to begin with ? :D

I recall MH did at some point in time utilized their HND slots for flights to/fro BKI

Maybe, and just maybe, the Japanese took historical precedence into consideration and reasoned that we Malaysians generally fail to appreciate the premium value of a HND slot to begin with ? :D

Would launching a 3x weekly KUL-HND money-loser be a greater show of appreciation of our Japanese hosts' hospitality?

Well, originally the 7 slots were allocated 3 each to Airasia X and Malaysia Airlines and one to Transmile. Yeah, using valuable slots for cargo only flights might have been an insult!

Sorry for OT :

What are the factors that dictate an airport slots availability ? Gates availability, runway capability, ground handling resources ?

For instance are LHR slots restricted by the runway movements or nos of gates ? How about HND ?

Would an airport increase its slot availability by assigning some aircrafts to park at remote bays ?

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

Sorry for OT :

What are the factors that dictate an airport slots availability ? Gates availability, runway capability, ground handling resources ?

For instance are LHR slots restricted by the runway movements or nos of gates ? How about HND ?

Would an airport increase its slot availability by assigning some aircrafts to park at remote bays ?

Terminal capacity for HND as runways are not an issue. Also, being a city airport, noise is an issue - so a lot of the time, take offs will be out to the sea to minimise noise.

Now that HND's new international terminal is ready, it can take a lot more flights - however, the Japanese authorities are not releasing the capacity in one go. They are gradually awarding them so as not to disrupt the supply and demand.

Well, originally the 7 slots were allocated 3 each to Airasia X and Malaysia Airlines and one to Transmile. Yeah, using valuable slots for cargo only flights might have been an insult!

That's what you get for trying to be fair. Then when the share swap happened, that 3 slots from MH was siphoned to D7 - with no compensation given to MH.

All those Samurai Bonds we took and still they can't offer us more slots at HND. What a shame.

Terminal capacity for HND as runways are not an issue. Also, being a city airport, noise is an issue - so a lot of the time, take offs will be out to the sea to minimise noise.

Now that HND's new international terminal is ready, it can take a lot more flights - however, the Japanese authorities are not releasing the capacity in one go. They are gradually awarding them so as not to disrupt the supply and demand.

Thanks for the explanation :)

That's what you get for trying to be fair. Then when the share swap happened, that 3 slots from MH was siphoned to D7 - with no compensation given to MH.

All those Samurai Bonds we took and still they can't offer us more slots at HND. What a shame.

Issuing samurai bond mean our gomen is borrowing in JPY. Japanese are just been practical, more likely to award next round of HND slots to Vietnam than MYS.

Issuing samurai bond mean our gomen is borrowing in JPY. Japanese are just been practical, more likely to award next round of HND slots to Vietnam than MYS.

Why would JP award more HND slots to VN than to MY because MY issued samurai bonds?

Why would JP award more HND slots to VN than to MY because MY issued samurai bonds?

Amount/numbers of Japanese FDI/businesses (i.e demand) to VN.

Amount/numbers of Japanese FDI/businesses (i.e demand) to VN.

US is the largest FDI in MY's manufacturing sector (more than double that of MY's second largest FDI manufacturing sector contributor, China) for Jan-Jun 2019 - will we see UA/AA/DL at KUL soon? :)

US is the largest FDI in MY's manufacturing sector (more than double that of MY's second largest FDI manufacturing sector contributor, China) for Jan-Jun 2019 - will we see UA/AA/DL at KUL soon? :)

As long as demand is sustainable.

According to reports, NH+UA+AC will only operate the following TPAC flights from NRT wef Summer 2020 schedules: 

US: SFO (NH+UA), LAX (NH+UA), DEN (UA), IAH (UA), ORD (NH), JFK (NH), EWR (UA), HNL (UA), GUM (UA)

CA: YVR (AC), YUL (AC), YYC (AC)

MX: MEX (NH)

I guess that should capture most of MY-JP-Americas market to keep NH 815/816 (NRT-KUL) alive.

Sign in to follow this