MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia To Make Langkawi Its 6th International Hub

30311684611_d9c32d0d25_c.jpg

GEORGE TOWN, Oct 17 (Bernama) -- AirAsia Bhd aims to make Langkawi International Airport its sixth international hub in Malaysia after Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Johor, Sabah and Sarawak.

Chief Executive Officer Aireen Omar said Langkawi offers huge potential for growth following the launch of the Langkawi to Guangzhou, China route early this year.

"We are looking to introduce more flights to and from Langkawi by next year and make the airport our new international hub for AirAsia.

"Right now, we are relying on our aircraft from Kuala Lumpur to build the connectivity to Langkawi, but by next year, we hope to have a couple of aircraft based there.

"Usually, when we build a hub, it will make economic sense to put a minimum of two aircraft there," she told reporters on the sidelines of the World Tourism Conference 2016 here today.

Aireen said the Penang International Airport (PIA) always reaches full capacity during festive seasons.

"Our parking bays and terminals are very congested during festive seasons and I have suggested to the authorities to expand the current airport or build another dedicated low-cost terminal to cater to the demand of the tourism industry.

"PIA offers high potential for us but unfortunately there are infrastructure constraints. Ideally, we would like to see a dedicated low-cost terminal in Penang where we can easily build on that connectivity to link with our current destinations," she said.

Aireen said the group is also targeting to increase its fleet from the current 205 to 500 aircraft by 2028 to cater to the exceptional growth in the low-cost travel industry.

The low-cost carrier has over 275 routes across 23 countries and flies to over 117 destinations, including 85 routes unique to AirAsia.

30311684611_d9c32d0d25_c.jpg
"PIA offers high potential for us but unfortunately there are infrastructure constraints. Ideally, we would like to see a dedicated low-cost terminal in Penang where we can easily build on that connectivity to link with our current destinations," she said.

Aaaaa...so she wants PIA LCCT lah.....

And she might get it because Penang State Govt. supports the idea. But Fed Govt understandably is unimpressed as they will usually wait till the airport is as busy as a fishmarket before thinking of upgrading.

What's the point of building an expanded billion ringgit facility just because the terminal's crowded for what, two or three weeks a year?

Besides, I really don't see where would the new LCC terminal be located in PEN. There's no space in the area unless you're thinking taking over one of those closed factories by the side of the runway - is the Bosch factory still empty?

Yes, most likely to need some land acquistion. Since factories are closing down, and the property market is soft, it is a good time to buy.

Always good to "sediakan payung sebelum hujan".

If there is a LCCT at Penang, I highly doubt it will only be busy for a week a two annually. AirAsia would have deployed many more aircraft and make it its northern hub. Only way to get around now is to deploy larger capacity aircraft A330 into Penang. Some of their A333 sits at KLIA2 apron during daytime, perhaps they can do short runs during daytime before their evening departure to Aussie/NZ and India.

And she might get it because Penang State Govt. supports the idea. But Fed Govt understandably is unimpressed as they will usually wait till the airport is as busy as a fishmarket before thinking of upgrading.

haha :clapping:

If there is a LCCT at Penang, I highly doubt it will only be busy for a week a two annually. AirAsia would have deployed many more aircraft and make it its northern hub. Only way to get around now is to deploy larger capacity aircraft A330 into Penang. Some of their A333 sits at KLIA2 apron during daytime, perhaps they can do short runs during daytime before their evening departure to Aussie/NZ and India.

I note that the gates get congested when departing pax gather to wait for their flights. I think that PIA does not have dual aerobridge gates - so boarding a widebody will be very slow. If more widebodies are deployed, the gates will be a chokepoint as departing and arriving pax mix in the same area.

Edited by flee

And AirAsia is not the only LCC that serves Penang. Others may just move over.

I note that the gates get congested when departing pax gather to wait for their flights. I think that PIA does not have dual aerobridge gates - so boarding a widebody will be very slow. If more widebodies are deployed, the gates will be a chokepoint as departing and arriving pax mix in the same area.

D7 only boards with one aerobridge. Even at klia2 where double aerobridges are available.

D7 only boards with one aerobridge. Even at klia2 where double aerobridges are available.

D7 flights in klia2 don't mix arriving and departing pax in the same location. Furthermore, PEN-KUL flights are short - any boarding delay will most certainly mean the flight will be late.

When departing and arriving pax are not separated, the gate infrastructure is stressed - notice how many pax use the toilets and water fountains prior to departure or on arrival?

Aerobridge for Langkawi International Airport
https://www.thestartv.com/v/aerobridge-for-langkawi-international-airport

I wonder if the red one will be any bit impressed ?! :)

Apparently it's to facilitate any ME flights to Langkawi, when aerobridges are 'required' - must be differing operational requirements at Langkawi and the ME airports I've been to :)

Aerobridge for Langkawi International Airport

https://www.thestartv.com/v/aerobridge-for-langkawi-international-airport

I wonder if the red one will be any bit impressed ?! :)

Apparently it's to facilitate any ME flights to Langkawi, when aerobridges are 'required' - must be differing operational requirements at Langkawi and the ME airports I've been to :)

Its just a case of a Minister having to open his mouth to say something, even if it is just garbage. I dont know how many times recently I have had to board ME3 aircraft using stairs at AUH, DXB or DOH.

Other airlines are able to provide lighting quick turnarounds even with the use of aerobridges. AirAsia's reasoning for not using aerobridges aren't valid. It's not valid when they first started, it's not valid now.

Other airlines are able to provide lighting quick turnarounds even with the use of aerobridges. AirAsia's reasoning for not using aerobridges aren't valid. It's not valid when they first started, it's not valid now.

Which airline, and define lightning quick?

Does airbus comes with optional stairs for passengers like those on Ryanair 737?

Sign in to follow this