MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Edwin P K

Buying Air ticket off Malaysiaairlines.com vs Travel Agent

I was just wondering, how come the prices quoted in the website is so much more expensive than the ones we usually get from travel agents?

I was just wondering, how come the prices quoted in the website is so much more expensive than the ones we usually get from travel agents?

Yes yes yes.........got to agree, the travel agent sell cheaper! :drinks: , once I try to buy ticket with MH and from internet, the price gap is $1000USD :huh: :blink: ! I don't know the reason, but I think the travel agent sell in a big number of tickets, that's why they have discount :) <_ not sure ler src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_smile.png" alt=":)">

Btw, anyone has any idea why the fare from KUL to NRT is cheaper than KUL-HKG? :) gap $200USD :huh: AFAIK, NRT is a very expensive airport to operate from/to.

i'm not sure why but i agree with it. i remember buying my KT-KL ticket, for RM100 at travel agent and 180 at MAS. also remember i save about USD1000 when i purchase my CX ticket throught travel agent.

Azuddin

The chief reason for the discrepancy is due to the fact that ur TA tends to offer fares which are significantly discounted, negotiated between themselves and/or their consolidator, and the airline. Fares on the airline's website itself tend to be published fares, whether flexible or restricted.

Edited by Keith T

As for me,I'm prefering to buy ticket thru MH,as they're only charge RM112 for SBW-KCH flight (one way).Compare to the agents,it's a little bit expensive,as the travel agents will charge RM10 service fee.

The chief reason for the discrepancy is due to the fact that ur TA tends to offer fares which are significantly discounted, negotiated between themselves and/or their consolidator, and the airline. Fares on the airline's website itself tend to be published fares, whether flexible or restricted.

Exceptions apply for domestic travel in countries where airfares are regulated by the government, case in point being Malaysia IIRC.

Edited by Keith T

If u happen to know any supervisors at MAS check in counters, try asking them. Last time I was a frequent traveller and always check-in at the same counter in KLIA where a supervisor was always on duty for that particular flight there. I got my tickets from her after asking her about it. The ticket prices were much much cheaper than travel agents.

If u happen to know any supervisors at MAS check in counters, try asking them. Last time I was a frequent traveller and always check-in at the same counter in KLIA where a supervisor was always on duty for that particular flight there. I got my tickets from her after asking her about it. The ticket prices were much much cheaper than travel agents.

Stand-by tickets?

I think the rates should always be competitive now that we are moving towards online buying of tickets. This way we are able to encourage more online sales. E-tickets eliminate the need for physical tickets, cuts cost, etc.

By eliminating the middle man (the travel agents) there should be a significant cost saving, no?

E-tickets eliminate the need for physical tickets, cuts cost, etc.

By eliminating the middle man (the travel agents) there should be a significant cost saving, no?

Indeed. The TAs are perhaps still needed for more complex itineraries like RTWs and others...

hey...there was once...or infact many times i checked through MAS website from AKL to KUL (return) . They actually quote me a staggering NZ5000+++!!! that's Very stupid cause what i quoted from travel agent here in Auckland is almost 20% of the one quoted in that website!

can someone pls explain this??

hey...there was once...or infact many times i checked through MAS website from AKL to KUL (return) . They actually quote me a staggering NZ5000+++!!! that's Very stupid cause what i quoted from travel agent here in Auckland is almost 20% of the one quoted in that website!

can someone pls explain this??

As I said above the website probably quoted you a full published fare. What you got from the TA was a discounted fare, negotiated between themselves and the airline. I am not sure how the software on the website operates but sometimes discounted fares only appear to be available from TAs.

Edited by Keith T

you can always get cheaper ticket if you go and buy (not book) the ticket at least two weeks before your flight. remember doing this and got half price for my KL-KT flight.

P/S: you need to plan your trip carefully or end up like me who arrived one day early at my campus. no food for a day since the cafeteria still close because it's still holiday. i also has a high fever that time. good thing that they find me still alive the next day :p

Azuddin

Edited by Azuddin

Stand-by tickets?

The tickets are not stand-by tickets. The tickets are just like the ones you get from travel agents except the lower price :D . When I was travelling, the tickets had to be booked in advance and collected a few days before the flight date. I think its quite hard to get those tickets now as MAS is financially unstable. :p

I think the rates should always be competitive now that we are moving towards online buying of tickets.

Try telling the government to 'let it go' and let the airlines do what they want in terms of capacity and pricing. The situation MH is going through is very similar to the US airlines - lose money, "turnaround plan", a bit of profit, lose more money, "turnaround plan", a bit of profit...and it cycles through every few years.

Still remember our Deputy Transport Minister saying that MAS does not have autonomous powers "to restructure to become a profitable entity"? I mean, what are they thinking? I don't see how that works.