MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

ex-MAS Fokker 50s

Samsyuri, thanks for the update of the Fokker F-50s.

Can someone please list out all the F-50s currently or will be in service with Firefly and MASwings?

MASwings

9M-MGA, MGB, MGC, MGJ......?

Firefly

9M-MGI, MGK....?

The remaining fokkers are 9M-MGD, MGE, MGF, MGG, MGJ (MGH being the written off bird?)

When will Firefly receive their first ATR-72-500?

Given that MASwing had lost 2-3 F-50 birds to Firefly to work in the Peninsular, will they be able to cover most, if not all, of the routes at Borneo that were once well served by MAS?

Edited by S V Choong

MGA, MGB. MGC, MGD, MGE, MGF, MGG, MGJ is all meant for MASwings

MGI and MGK is only for Firefly. Firefly will get their ATRs around 2008. Berjaya Air ATRs will deliver around 2009 and 2010 as mentioned on ATR's website.

MGH is written off. I guess got recycled few times by now.

ATR disclosed today the decision by Malaysia Airlines (MAS) to acquire a fleet of 10 ATR 72-500s plus options for 10 additional aircraft. The contract, valued at US $ 183 million, has been inked in the presence of His Excellence Abdullah Badawi, Prime Minister of Malaysia, and Romano Prodi, the Italian Prime Minister.

The aircraft are intended for the expansion of Firefly - subsidiary airline 100 % owned by MAS - which will establish its hubs in Penang, Subang, Johor Bahru, and Kota Kinabalu. The ATR aicraft will progressively replace the current Fokker 50 aircraft fleet of the airline.

These 72-seat aircraft will be equipped with the "Elegance" cabin, Light Emitting Diode (LED), Electronic Flight Bag (EFB) as well as the newest technological innovations in passenger comfort, communications and navigation tools. Deliveries will start in 2008.

With this deal, ATR reaches its 900th new aircraft sold (416 ATR 42s and 484 ATR 72s) since the beginning of the programme. This order also marks an outstanding year to-date, with 63 new aircraft sold in the first half of 2007. In six months, ATR has already reached the same quantity of total orders posted during 2006, which was also an outstanding performance for ATR. Since the beginning of the programme, ATR has delivered 730 aircraft (394 ATR 42s and 336 ATR 72s), and posts a current backlog of 170 aircraft.

Edited by Adrian M

Hehe, Adrian, you are such a F-50 pro. Cheers :drinks:

In your avatar, it seems MGF was once belonged to Firefly? Is she still helping out firefly or currently in service with MASwings under hybrid livery or been sitting abandoned as one of FAX's abuse victims?

Hehe, Adrian, you are such a F-50 pro. Cheers :drinks:

In your avatar, it seems MGF was once belonged to Firefly? Is she still helping out firefly or currently in service with MASwings under hybrid livery or been sitting abandoned as one of FAX's abuse victims?

Actually this MGF was photoshopped :lol: But MGF currently flying with MASwings under hybrid livery.

Edited by Adrian M

Adrian, your avatar is a photoshopped version, I suppose. The triangle tip of the lower part of the tail should be in white and registration was written on there from what I remembered for the F-27s. ;)

yup but this is the (my) F50 version :p hybrid old mas and faux :p It's MGB before transform into blue lady. Plus I place the old moonkite logo a bit lower to complement the F50 slightly modified tail from F27.

Observe the difference :lol:

556192291ae5.jpg

Edited by Adrian M

Yeah, I was quite tempted to put the old MAS logo on to FAX's F-50 too, but didn't get around it :p

Wow, nice photo of F-27. What the.... A40-FU...?? What kind of registration is that? It is rude too... F U.... :p Where was this photo taken? I would believe it if you say Subang.

Edited by S V Choong

Not sure actually, i found it on the net but based on the rego A40- is Bahrain rego. Too bad this bird crashed in late 80s while operate with other airline.

Edited by Adrian M

Hmm looks like this bird is the same with MAS F-27, a Mk. 500, judging from the small within a cargo door on the left (port?) side.

Now that I look at F-27, I think the F-50 is much better looking, especially the wingtip which goes slightly up.

Would definitely catch MASwings F-50 next time on the way home. I don't mind BKI-SDK-TWU :p Haven't been to Sandakan in a while.

Edited by S V Choong

Now that I look at F-27, I think the F-50 is much better looking, especially the wingtip which goes slightly up.

Would definitely catch MASwings F-50 next time on the way home. I don't mind BKI-SDK-TWU :p Haven't been to Sandakan in a while.

You betcha she's more prettier and with the distinctive foklet, no other turboprop has them. :p Heard from the guys, foklet is really a working winglet. Not sure what's the function and advantages though.

You sure your wife want to do transit flight? :lol:

Sharing with you (and everyone who interested), practicing my graphic manipulation skill just for fun. Here's the progress shots. :rolleyes:

mgbprogresskz4.jpg

got this last night..sorry for lousy quality...took it on a moving vehicle at SZB..

DSC07670.jpg

not sure which is which..perhaps Juliet?

Absolutely is Juliet, the last and only F50 with full MH color scheme!!! Thx Fairul!! Sure gonna miss this color.

At least MGJ is no longer sitting under the sun doing absolutely nothing!! Just hoping that she is not rotten ;)

Thanks for the progress photo. Would have thought you would throw in two red cheatlines instead of mas :p

I don't think my wife would like to do transit at SDK, but will have to find out a way to make it work :p :P :p

Adrian, here is a strange photo, I think it is a prototype of Fokker 50 with F27 windows.

Fokker50_propeller_aviodrome_lelystad.JP

Perhaps you or Pieter would know more about this.

Edited by S V Choong

Perhaps you or Pieter would know more about this.

Yes, two prototypes: this one (OSI) and OSO (resembles 050 :pardon: )

Do not forget, the Fokker F50 is actually a "Fokker 27 Mark 050" , so is a modified F27...

The F-50 is one of the quietest turboprops. From my experience, this is certainly true. I have heard the new Air NZ Dash 8 at a close range and it seems a lot more noisy than the F50.

Pieter,

Can you confirm if one of the two F50 prototypes started life as a F27 and was modified to F50 specs at some point in its life ? The other F50 prototype was a new build airframe I believe

Here is a photo of PH-OSO, a Fokker 50 prototype.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0710658/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0047936/L/

PH-OSI - 2nd Fokker 50 prototype

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0412398/L/

(This photo resemble the scenery of the Fokker F-27 transported by my father's barge in the 1980s. I realise I still owe you this photo, BC)

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0973016/L/

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0870716/L/

Edited by S V Choong

This photo resemble the scenery of the Fokker F-27 transported by my father's barge in the 1980s.

Please tell us more about it.

Radzi, here is the story....

I recalled spotting one of the photos taken by my late father who transported a Fokker F-27 on one of the barges, I was only about 8-10 years old at that time. I can remember clearly it was a Fokker F-27 in complete white colour. I can't remember the rego and there is no way for me to tell whether it was MAS. I wasn't told about the story why the F-27 needs to be transported on a barge when it can fly by itself.

The photo and album is still sitting inside the storage room of my house in Tawau. Last time I went home I couldn't gain access to it because the house is tenanted. Therefore, I don't know when I can gain access to get the photo to scan the photo. I asked my uncle who used to work for my father, he said he couldn't remember what the story was :(

Edited by S V Choong

Currently MGJ having HMV in szb for maswings. MGJ was supposed to be 3rd Firefly but Firefly had withdraw it. One ATR72 will be coming end of this year.

ATR coming end of this year? Good news for BKI spotters then. New year new planes..haha. I didnt know one of the MAS F50 has been written off. By the way, on the 1st page of this forum seems like only SV Choong and Adrian are chatting to each other, sounds likea lover, just kidding :rolleyes:

Edited by Kenneth T

Good news for BKI spotters then.

That ATR72 is meant for Firefly. It's logical since FY has the least fleet number currently and mostly will get the priority first compared to MASwings. MASwings are enough fleet covering East Malaysia for now.

So it's actually no news for BKI spotters. Unless FY decide to do SZB-BKI or PEN-KBR-BKI.

Sign in to follow this