MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
H C Chai

SriLankan Airlines - anyone flown with them?

Hi guys,

I will be flying with SriLankan Airlines (UL) end of the year from LHR to KUL via CMB. Just wondering if anyone has been on this airline before and if you do, some tips on Y seat selection will be greatly appreciated! I will be flying their A340-300 on LHR-CMB stretch and A330-200 on CMB-KUL.

Have tried airlinequality, seatguru and seatexperts. There is not a great deal of information about this airline :pardon:

I heard that UL offer descent Y class products but that was about 4-5 years ago, not sure if they have done any upgrades since then...

hi HC,

I flew them early this year albeit between SIN-KUL vv. I found them to be a good airline despite it only being a short flight. The on board entertainment was fairly decent - I really enjoyed the exterior cameras which gave fantastic perspective of the flight.

On the short sector I flew, they served a curry roll and juice - not the greatest - but still more than you would get on a regular shuttle flight.

The cabin crew seemed good - but again, can't really comment due to the limited time aboard. I flew both the A330 and the A340 aircraft - quite comfortable - seats look a little old and worn, but not to shabby nonetheless.. I would ask for a bulkhead if I were you, but sorry - can't remember the row numbers. :D

Hope this helps a little. Enjoy your trip!

There was a TR published at A.net Trip-report section recently for your liking :p

I don't know if they vary significantly from route to route, but here's a very detailed TR with pics on Flyertalk of UL on FRA-CMB-BKK vv which I believe are rather comparable sectors - same a/c type too it seems:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677418

I just realised that the level of technical detail seems a.net-ish so Pieter and I may be referring to the same TR. :p

Edited by Keith T

Thanks for the all the info guys! Hmm...the cabin does look very similar to EK's A332 :)

The YCL tableware too.

Ain't they sort of co-related (like FF program) ?? :huh:

the catering really is 10000X better than of MH's...

YUMMY!

MH South Asia routes catering is always the same curry, curry and curry, year in year out. One of the most boring menu or don’t need menu for these routes.

:drinks:

Yeah, EK and UL are connected because EK have some stake in UL and they have the FF mileage points too.

I heard UL is good and the best South Asian airline around !!!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Second that. UL uses EK's FFP, and what you get onboard UL's 343/ 332 is very similar to EK's 332, although UL is alot better than EK's business class on the airbuses. EK has a management contract and shareholding in UL.

I've flown a few sectors on UL, both at the back and in the front, and service wise is fine, just like TG, EK, CX etc. In fact, for shorter sectors, I fine the UL service to be much better in biz than on MH (especially on MH's dreaded ancient A330s)

CMB airport is OK for a short transit, especially now that the airport has been expanded, with a new wing and aerobridges.

P.S. Let's hope the Tigers do not decide to do a bombing raid when you're there. (No worries, raids are done at night where airport is closed to traffic...but daylight raids will be suicidal but then again, the Tigers have bene known to be suicidal...)

No worries, raids are done at night where airport is closed to traffic...but daylight raids will be suicidal but then again, the Tigers have bene known to be suicidal...)

You got me worried here Mushrif. CMB is resuming night time operations from September, so both my inbound and outbound flights are scheduled to arrive CMB at 0230 and 0005 respectively. :blink:

Anyway, I spoke to my SriLankan colleague before I booked the flight, he managed to convince me that Heathrow is actually more dangerous than Bandaranayike airport! This may well be true...

The YCL tableware too.

Hmm.... the Y tableware looks different from that of EK. Flew with EK a couple of times and their serving is generous, and good presentation too... ;)

Snack

Ek2.jpg

Dinner

EK1.jpg

Continental breakfast

Ek3.jpg

Hmm.... the Y tableware looks different from that of EK. Flew with EK a couple of times and their serving is generous, and good presentation too... ;)

I've not flown EK for a long time, and so they must have changed their YCL tableware during that time. :)

I've not flown EK for a long time, and so they must have changed their YCL tableware during that time. :)

Having checked the airlinermeals website, it does look like EK was using a very similar tableware to UL until a couple of years ago ;)

I also found out that the KUL-CMB leg is actually operated by MH A333 :o :o

Anyway, thanks again for all the info, it gives me a good insight of the airline which I know little of.

Snack

Ek2.jpg

Dinner

EK1.jpg

Continental breakfast

Ek3.jpg

Nice ... Very generous offerings ... :) By the way H C Chai, this is the new dishwares that EK started using last year ... or before last year ... can't remember.