MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
tktoh

"How MAB Ruined Our Chinese New Year" - Audrey

No-one likes getting bumped, especially during CNY.

Can't help but wonder how MH could have handled this differently, especially since they knew the probability of having no-shows during the CNY rush would likely be lower.

No-one likes getting bumped, especially during CNY.

Can't help but wonder how MH could have handled this differently, especially since they knew the probability of having no-shows during the CNY rush would likely be lower.

Humans will know that during festive seasons no-shows will be minimal. But don't expect robots and machines to understand that.

there is a looooooong terms and conditions list together with the booked ticket, and normally most of us didn't bother to read. I pity the family for not being able to fly on their desired flight but the best way to solve this issue is to make a complain via mavcom (which I believe most of the rakyat didn't know of its existence). MAB did the right thing according to Malaysian Aviation Consumer Protection Code 2016 http://www.mavcom.my/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/pub_20160630_P.U.-B-305.pdf by transfering them to the next available flight but they seriously lacked in customer service's skills (according to the story lah). Just my 2 cents

Just a question, which business class lounge MAS uses in Hong Kong?

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/-/loungeaccess/HKG hope this helps

MH should have protected seats for them given that they were travelling with young children. I think this is where the failure lies - there should be a procedure to scruitinise ( by a human being!) the manifest for such categories of pax before releasing their seats to other pax well ahead of check-in closing time - bearing in mind too that such passengers couldnt check-in online. It wouldnt be difficult to spot an infant in the list.

Just a question, which business class lounge MAS uses in Hong Kong?

If you can, try the Qantas or any of the CX lounges.

Ok that's good to know. Is it true that Malaysia airlines will give you invitation to plaza premium lounge by default at Hong Kong instead of one world lounge?

Ok that's good to know. Is it true that Malaysia airlines will give you invitation to plaza premium lounge by default at Hong Kong instead of one world lounge?

MH will give you the lounge invitation to the lounge they are contracted to. But your J boarding pass will get you into either the QF or CX lounges. HKG is one of the few airports where they have really remarkable lounges since both QF and CX have top-notch lounge facilities. I like the QF lounge as well as the CX Pier J lounge the most.

there is a looooooong terms and conditions list together with the booked ticket, and normally most of us didn't bother to read. I pity the family for not being able to fly on their desired flight but the best way to solve this issue is to make a complain via mavcom (which I believe most of the rakyat didn't know of its existence). MAB did the right thing according to Malaysian Aviation Consumer Protection Code 2016 http://www.mavcom.my/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/pub_20160630_P.U.-B-305.pdf by transfering them to the next available flight but they seriously lacked in customer service's skills (according to the story lah). Just my 2 cents

This family is not entirely blame free - they did not do their web check in. Of course, everyone with an Enrich card wants to feel like they are VIPs. But then Enrich cards are as common as 10 sen coins - so what do you expect?

As for complaining, they should first write to the man that matters most, PB. Then lodge a complaint with MAVCOM. It would be good to know what MAVCOM can do...

This family is not entirely blame free - they did not do their web check in. Of course, everyone with an Enrich card wants to feel like they are VIPs. But then Enrich cards are as common as 10 sen coins - so what do you expect?

As for complaining, they should first write to the man that matters most, PB. Then lodge a complaint with MAVCOM. It would be good to know what MAVCOM can do...

Checking in online is not available when traveling with an infant.

Of course, everyone with an Enrich card wants to feel like they are VIPs. But then Enrich cards are as common as 10 sen coins - so what do you expect?

It's one thing if they had an Enrich blue card with 0 miles believing they were the center of the universe, but in this case the wife was a Gold. It's not the rarest of cards, I'll give you that, but certainly not to the extent you mentioned. Any competent airline would ensure their elites are the last to be bumped.

What did I expect? Not even an upgrade, but some effort from MH in ensuring their elites don't have their CNY balik kampung plans disrupted. I don't think that's being unreasonable, nor is it being DYKWIA.

Edited by Chris Tan

It's one thing if they had an Enrich blue card with 0 miles believing they were the center of the universe, but in this case the wife was a Gold. It's not the rarest of cards, I'll give you that, but certainly not to the extent you mentioned. Any competent airline would ensure their elites are the last to be bumped.

What did I expect? Not even an upgrade, but some effort from MH in ensuring their elites don't have their CNY balik kampung plans disrupted. I don't think that's being unreasonable, nor is it being DYKWIA.

Agreed. No where does it say in the terms and conditions that web check in must be performed to confirm a confirmed ticket; note the oxymoron in that statement.

I suspect an E-Plat might have exercised his/her guaranteed economy class seat privilege for fully booked flights for his/her own family which might have consisted of the same number of passengers as Audrey's (the complainant). Just my two cents re: MH's side of the story.

Web check in is not available for all destionations btw, Brunei for example. Due to the above misfortune fallen on Audrey, I asked my mother to go airport very early today to in order to avoid getting bumped off. Flight ETD is 15 30, she arrived at 12 30. After checked in OTC, ground crew informed her flight delayed till 16 45! Aiks.

To date, I still don't know why OLCI is not available for Brunei. Since my university days 2007??? A decade has passed...

Edited by JuliusWong

She's flying on a redemption ticket. If I recall correctly, redemption tickets will be placed on a lower priority compared to paid fares in the case of irregular operations. Not sure if the Enrich tier status comes into play. In any case, she arrived at the airport 30 minutes before check-in closes. Those who check in at that point are at the prime line for the bump.

Perhaps there's no chance of an upgrade because flights are full, given the high loads for the holidays? In any case, I honestly feel that they didn't disrupt her plans too much if she had taken the option of the later flight. A 6hr delay is not that bad. Granted they have kids to attend to, but I'm pretty certain they could have managed themselves at the lounge now don't they?

Those who do not have young kids or have never travelled with infants will never understand that hanging around the lounge for 6hrs due to being bumped off a confirmed flight is not a great alternative. No matter how luxurious the lounge is.

It is also not a question about any of them having Enrich membership or status or whether the ticket is revenue vs redemption - MH should have spotted the infant in the pax list and protected their seats until closure of checkin. This is where MH failed, in my opinion.

And for the umpteeth time, online check in is not an option when travelling with infants.

PEN isn't one of those destinations that are excluded from OLCI

For the author's case, travelling with infant is excluded, not so much on the destination.

The issue wouldn't have blown up if some ground personnel at Malaysia Airlines called her up to ask if she was willing to release her seat. At least some advance notice is given would have been good. Granted it is redemption seat, they did earned it through using their enrich partners or fly frequently with MH or partners airlines so it doesn't come "free" free as per se.

Was there a mother's room in the lounge? Things could have been better then. They were more pissed when the ground crew checked them family in even though they chose to cancel the flight. Ground crew only said "write in to complain" but most of us know the email will mostly ended in blacl hole. Even if they replied, what can CS dept offer? Definitely not free flight. More free Enrich points?? Lolx, talk about double whammy. In all, the before and aftermath could be handled better.

Btw, reading the author's FB page, it seems many MH customers have faced similar situation. It is a common occurence, peak and non-peak season. Even those checked in online way in advance with seat allocated got their booking deleted in the system. Definitely something is wrong with MH CS support...and system.

I read her blog post... and sorry, I can't seem to sympathise with her... they were rebooked and checked in on the 4pm flight... so they didn't meet their original flight due to an earlier cancellation... this seems more like a millennial tantrum than a bonafied gripe... now complains about her compensation as lounge access.. did she clarify which lounge?? Maybe the first class lounge with child-room and comfort facilities above and beyond what her Gold Enrich entitles?? Perhaps then she would have had access to a restroom and supplies for her children plus the comfort of a rest rather than squeezed between two child seats and kao pei kao pei all the way to Penang... [btw... the front seat occupied meh?? I thought all the bags sent separately???]

Some people really just want it all for nothing.. sorry.. customer service could have been better, but so too the customer behavior.. from the one side of the story - I am already questioning the merits of the complaint.

Meantime - Gong Hei Fatt Choy to all! Huat ah huat ah Mwings.com 2017!

Edited by Sandeep G

I read her blog post... and sorry, I can't seem to sympathise with her... they were rebooked and checked in on the 4pm flight... so they didn't meet their original flight due to an earlier cancellation... this seems more like a millennial tantrum than a bonafied gripe... now complains about her compensation as lounge access.. did she clarify which lounge?? Maybe the first class lounge with child-room and comfort facilities above and beyond what her Gold Enrich entitles?? Perhaps then she would have had access to a restroom and supplies for her children plus the comfort of a rest rather than squeezed between two child seats and kao pei kao pei all the way to Penang... [btw... the front seat occupied meh?? I thought all the bags sent separately???]

Some people really just want it all for nothing.. sorry.. customer service could have been better, but so too the customer behavior.. from the one side of the story - I am already questioning the merits of the complaint.

Meantime - Gong Hei Fatt Choy to all! Huat ah huat ah Mwings.com 2017!

Like I said, those who have never travelled with infants will never understand her predicament.

And btw, there is only one lounge accessible by those travelling on domestic flights. And it is quite basic. And 6 hours downtime with an infant - no lounge access will conpensate that.

And no, you misread. The cancelled flight wasnt hers but an earlier one.

No, I didn't misread.

Still don't think her argument holds water... she is a blogger with a need to blog... salt, pepper and masala as required.

Limited accountability and maximise her profits from people who read .... she has even linked her husbands post...

My opinion. Don't expect you to agree or disagree - just share with you all an alternative review of "the event" .

No, I didn't misread.

Still don't think her argument holds water... she is a blogger with a need to blog... salt, pepper and masala as required.

Limited accountability and maximise her profits from people who read .... she has even linked her husbands post...

My opinion. Don't expect you to agree or disagree - just share with you all an alternative review of "the event" .

So you're discrediting her complaint because of a sweeping generalisation you have made about bloggers and the fact that she's a "millennial"? I find that rather ignorant of yourself to claim that her argument holds no "water". Your lack of research as exemplified by your uninformed first class lounge argument places your review as one that lacks credibility itself. I do however agree that there are two sides to a story, and I await MH's version of it; a lack of clarification is often an admission of guilt.

She is first and foremost a customer, and her husband a loyal one based on his E-Gold status. On the latter, as a wise MWinger always says, "one can be loyal to an airline but it doesn't mean the airline will be loyal to them". ;)

Edited by Ashley Lee

Like I said, those who have never travelled with infants will never understand her predicament.

And btw, there is only one lounge accessible by those travelling on domestic flights. And it is quite basic. And 6 hours downtime with an infant - no lounge access will conpensate that.

And no, you misread. The cancelled flight wasnt hers but an earlier one.

I agree to this completely. One would only understand the situation once they travel with infants.

Lounge or not, getting proper infant food and milk supply in an airport is extremely difficult. (We were delayed in Changi last November, even then we had a difficult time finding proper halal food for our two year old. Thankfully she takes in fresh milk which we could purchase from 7/11).

If MH customer service had notified them in advance, i reckon they would have been better prepared.

Sorry la... I feel bad I didn't "research" my response enough. No first class lounge, true..

Travel at this time of the year is stressful.. I too have been bumped off an overbooked flight (not MH) trying to get home.. the customer service response was less than satisfactory.. but life goes on and so did I.. as I will after posting this :)

Be happy, be nice and be merry this festive weekend!