MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Isaac

Your Frequent Flyer Programs

What frequent flyer programs are you belong to ? (Please ONLY state the active accounts)

I have TWO at the moment :

- Northwest Airlines WorldPerks

and

- Malaysia Airlines Enrich

I am thinking of joining ONE or TWO more FFP in the future. Below are my choices :

1. Lufthansa Miles And More

**Able to earn/burn miles on all Star Alliance carriers as well as Qatar Airways (QR) and Jet Airways (9W).

2. Continental Airlines OnePass

**Able to earn/burn miles on all SkyTeam carriers as well as Emirates (EK), Eva Air (BR) and Virgin Atlantic Airways (VS).

**If i join this Continental Airlines OnePass program, i will dump Northwest Airlines WorldPerks.

3. United Airlines Mileage Plus

**Able to earn/burn miles on all Star Alliance carriers as well as Emirates (EK) and Qatar Airways (QR).

I will also dump my Malaysia Airlines Enrich as soon as Malaysia Airlines join an alliance (i hope it will be SkyTeam) because Malaysia Airlines Enrich programme is like the suckest frequent flyer programme ever.

Currently at SkyTeam i am using Northwest Airlines WorldPerks FFP and i must say it's an awesome FFP. But i might consider moving to Continental Airlines OnePass because OnePass may benefit me better in the future (because i might fly with those airlines in BOLD FONT quoted above).

Mine are as per the first line of my signature:

- Lufthansa Miles and More

- AAdvantage

- Qantas Frequent Flyer (my work flights go here... too complicated to explain why)

- Singapore Airlines Krisflyer - was accruing PPS sectors until the recent PPS Changes and i said goodbye to them.

More info on your flying patterns would help. But in general...

For Star Alliance, I suggest joining bmi Diamond Club. The earn/burn ratio is amazingly generous. They also have the "cash and miles" scheme which enables you to subsidise award costs with cash. Even better if you're based in the UK and you can take advantage of the BMI mastercard, which will have you redeeming on free *A F awards in no time. :) Also, you only need 57k miles to get BD Gold (theoretically you have up to 24 months to do so), 38k to requalify (12 months).

I'd have joined BD if they were open to people outside Europe when I was picking a *A program, but as is I've kinda established myself in M+M. M+M works out very well if you fly heaps in F and J, due to the 300% accrual rate for F (325% on LH/LX/LO/OS if you're at least *S), and 200% for J (225% for LH/LX/LO/OS if you're at least *S). Also, 150% for full Y fares (175% for LH/LX/LO/OS as *S and above) and premium economy. As a SEN I get 2 upgrade vouchers which I can use to upgrade on LH/LX/OS/LO, and also several *A carriers like SQ, NH, UA. The awards can be good or bad depending on how you use them.

I'd caution against UA MP. The awards look cheap at first glance but it's extremely hard to use them on non-UA carriers. UA has an internal policy to restrict the number of seats you can redeem on *A partners. They could be good if you intend to travel UA a lot or do a lot of domestic flights on UA, but otherwise the awards come with a labyrinth of fine print. No class of service bonus status miles outside UA/US/LH either. Also, unless you've Premier Executive status and above (and sometimes that doesn't work) your call would be directed to one of their regional call centres. The Phillippines one is ok, however the one in India is truly incompetent and it'd take you an hour to do something that should be done in 15 mins or less. Just recently I had to convince one of the ICC agents that Air NZ is indeed a *A/redemption partner and therefore I can spend my MP miles on them. :rolleyes: BMI will route you to an Indian cal lcentre as well but they seem a lot more well-trained than the UA ones. Just make sure you familiarise yourself with your Alphas, Bravos and Charlies though. :)

And if you're going to generate $25 000 revenue to SQ each year, you could double dip to both SQ PPS and get star alliance gold status on another program, and earn miles on that other program. When booking ur flights just say you want miles to go to your other *A account, but you want status accrued on KF. PPS after the changes doesnt have much going for it but it might still help in clearing waitlists and such if you fly SQ heaps.

Edited by Keith T

Guest Fendy

i have

malaysia airlines ENRICH... havent really been able to claim ANYTHING though, their point redemption is so high!

singapore airlines KRISFLYER... which was lost and stolen by some joker, not like it'll benifit him, it had like 400 points on it...

Edited by Fendy

Im a MAS loyalty customer so my preferred choice will always be MH unless there's no choice available. Not thinking to join other FFP yet apart from my current member with MAS Enrich :rolleyes:

Regarding ENRICH, if you loose your card and need a replacement, don't simply go to their office. Make a POLICE REPORT first for the lost card (of all things for a frequent flyer card!), and apply for the replacement. Otherwise, there will be a freaking 1000 points deduction from your account to have the card replaced. With a copy of the police report, there will be none.

I asked this just for the fun of asking when I was at their office in KL recently.

I have been using MAS Enrich since 2001 purely because I don't have much chance flying on other airlines. Besides, cost of the tickets outweighs any FFP benefits for me. :(

Regarding ENRICH, if you loose your card and need a replacement, don't simply go to their office. Make a POLICE REPORT first for the lost card (of all things for a frequent flyer card!), and apply for the replacement. Otherwise, there will be a freaking 1000 points deduction from your account to have the card replaced. With a copy of the police report, there will be none.

I asked this just for the fun of asking when I was at their office in KL recently.

krisflyer sends replacement cards to u with no charge (pratically, althought their website mentioned the "charges")... but then again ... why would one need the plastic... as u can earn miles by just mentioning your membership number while booking over the counter/phone, or key in when book online. no need to present card on check in. even can redeem tickets online, also no need to present card.. except some carriers still require the members to present card during redemption.... and cannot do online, must do over counter one... :)

krisflyer sends replacement cards to u with no charge (pratically, althought their website mentioned the "charges")... but then again ... why would one need the plastic... as u can earn miles by just mentioning your membership number while booking over the counter/phone, or key in when book online. no need to present card on check in. even can redeem tickets online, also no need to present card.. except some carriers still require the members to present card during redemption.... and cannot do online, must do over counter one... :)

Some airlines don't even send out the plastic card for the basic tier.

The card is only really important when you advance through the higher tiers - several airlines do insist on them for lounge access purposes, even if your status and ff number is in your booking. Even more of an issue if you're using a lounge operated by a carrier that isn't the one you're flying with. If you don't have your card - you might very literally be thrown out. Hence we call those lounge receptionists 'lounge bouncers' or 'lounge dragons.' :p

Edited by Keith T

The card is only really important when you advance through the higher tiers - several airlines do insist on them for lounge access purposes, even if your status and ff number is in your booking. Even more of an issue if you're using a lounge operated by a carrier that's different to the one you're flying with. If you don't have your card - you might very literally be thrown out. Hence we call those lounge receptionists 'lounge bouncers' or 'lounge dragons.' :p

thanks keith. i forgot about these "bouncers".. ok, the card is needed (when its a non-regular/classic card) :p

Something I forgot to mention - if you see yourself flying both MH and SQ (i mention sq because of ur avatar) a lot, you might want to consider VS flying club. They've got relatively few partners compared to the airlines that belong to an alliance though. But they're still partnered with some beauties - SQ, MH, NZ to name a few.

But this is why VS is so appealing - 4 SIN-KUL return trips in SQ F gets you VS Gold. :good: [1 SQ SIN-KUL flight in F = 5 tier points; only 40 tier points to get Gold = easily done over a weekend]

That's the top tier and allows you to enter the best lounge in the world (apart from LH FCT), the VS Club House at Heathrow T3. I believe you can even access this lounge when flying SQ Y. On SQ your VS Gold status would be something like KF Gold or *G. But hurry before the SQ stake in VS is sold. ;)

IIRC you can also access the VS CH with BD*G (can't remember the exact limits) - so another brownie point for BD for your *A choice.

And since you're using Worldperks, I hope you're aware of their recent rule change in regard to redeeming on MH. From 1August, you can no longer redeem Worldperk miles on MH F awards:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695990

Edited by Keith T

Brother, thanks for the info. So u manage to get your new card? The new card definitely looks nicer.

No Kenneth, I did not loose my card. I just came up with the question to ask some FAQs face to face with Enrich staff. I was there to buy some goodies at MAS GB.

Indeed the new card looks nicer. I have an old one circa 1999.

Edited by Rozhan

Air Berlin TopBonus :pardon:

Was Gold last year, but Silver for 2007 (since they skipped my favourite AMS-TXL-AMS stretch and only fly to PMI now :angry: )

no other FFP's for me as using the staff-travel previleges most of the time :pardon:

I have the following:

MAS Enrich - claimed a KUL-BKI-TWU return sector with them. Slowly accumulating a few more points

SIA KrisFlyer - have not done much accumulation as I think their points are not achievable. Thinking of Lufthansa Miles and More at the moment as per Keith's suggestion a while back. Useful for other Star Alliance arilines - Air NZ and etc.

Asia Miles - I am now qualified for a HKG-TPE return airticket. I use it for One World Partners like Dragonair, Cathay Pacific, Qantas and LAN Airlines.

Thinking of Lufthansa Miles and More at the moment as per Keith's suggestion a while back. Useful for other Star Alliance arilines - Air NZ and etc.

Now that BMI diamond club is open to the rest of the world I've hereby revised my suggestions. ;)

Only caveat with BMI is that (I don't necessarily agree with it but the doomsayers on FT keep parroting it) LH might absorb BMI or something along those lines and the dc program would be absorbed into M+M anyway. But like with Swiss Travel Club I think you'd have some notice before it actually happens during which time you should probably be busy burning those mileage on long haul F awards. ;)

M+M is great for the high accrual rates in the higher fare classes, but take note that it only accrues at 50% for the cheapest fares such as SQ W class.

Did you mean AKL-HKG/TPE, or just HKG-TPE? Not meaning to be critical - but HKG-TPE is not that great a use of mileage. You'll still need to pay taxes and CX fuel fines on awards. Besides there are usually HKG-TPE specials on cathaypacific.com - even cheaper if it's TPE-HKG. ;) [click on specials instead of doing a general search to get the low fare] Save the miles for a nice long haul award in J/F, or an upgrade I say. :) The 3 year expiry thing is annoying though. :(

On a side note I just burnt 90 000 LH miles for an Air NZ C award MEL to PVG via AKL (Oceania to North Asia). My first time in PVG and flying NZ Business Premier long haul so I'm pretty happy. :) Unfortunately they wouldn't let me fly SQ or I'd have to pay double because that's going via a 3rd region (South East Asia). :( The positive thing is it costs only 70 bucks for taxes because there aren't fuel fines charged on NZ flights. :good: (would've been about 300 bucks or so had I gone with SQ)

Edited by Keith T

Mine is ENRICH

Now there is a promotion, can redeem as low as 22750 points to get a return tix as far as BOM, DPS, or HYD. Am redeeming myself one....maybe KUL-DPS-KUL. Offer valid for travel before 31st oct

1. ENRICH

always have to contact them to claim miles. Most of the time they say that name not same, they keep getting my surname mixed up all the time even after I give them my number. Go straight to MAS building to claim. Don't send by post. They take forever to update.

2. EMIRATES SKYWARDS

Complete 4 sectors and they send you your membership card plus 2 luggage tags with your name. Nice touch.

enrich also doing a triple bonus point promo at the moment. Started quite sometime ago and I also frequently transfer my unused points from credit cards to Enrich.

enrich also doing a triple bonus point promo at the moment. Started quite sometime ago and I also frequently transfer my unused points from credit cards to Enrich.

If im not mistaken u can exchange enrich points from the following credit cards: HSBC, Maybank, Ctitibank and CIMB. :rolleyes:

If im not mistaken u can exchange enrich points from the following credit cards: HSBC, Maybank, Ctitibank and CIMB. :rolleyes:

enrich miles are "expensive" compared to other airline miles.. u can compare if the credit card u have offers different mile programes.

enrich miles are "expensive" compared to other airline miles.. u can compare if the credit card u have offers different mile programes.

Yes no doubt, enrich miles is slight costly than the other FFP such as Krisflyer and etc :angry:

True. Such as Northwest Airlines. Regular member no longer gets the plastic card. What a shame ... Anyhow, i do have my NWA WorldPerks plastic card. It has the old NWA logo with KLM logo on the right of the card. The rule "no plastic card for basic-tiered members" only came effective a few months after i received mine, lucky me :p

Something I forgot to mention - if you see yourself flying both MH and SQ (i mention sq because of ur avatar) a lot, you might want to consider VS flying club. They've got relatively few partners compared to the airlines that belong to an alliance though. But they're still partnered with some beauties - SQ, MH, NZ to name a few.

I fly MH mostly. SQ is a favourite carrier of mine but rarely fly with them. I see greater chance for me flying EK & EY in the future. EK is the main reason i am considering dumping my NWA WorldPerks in favor of Continental OnePass.

Asia Miles - I am now qualified for a HKG-TPE return airticket. I use it for One World Partners like Dragonair, Cathay Pacific, Qantas and LAN Airlines.

I noticed that there is no expiry date for BA Executive Club but there must be at least one activity every 3 years in order to keep your account active. Is the same T&C apply for Cathay Pacific Asia Miles ?

I do have an Asia Miles account ... I actually applied for BA Executive Club (considering i might fly with them down under via SIN later this year) but i got the Asia Miles card instead (it's about this dual-membership stuff between Executive Club and Asia Miles).

The plan now is to have only THREE frequent flyer programs. One each for SkyTeam, Star Alliance & OneWorld.

For SkyTeam it's either NWA WorldPerks or Continental OnePass. Currently is NWA WorldPerks but will decide whether to move to Continental OnePass or not next year. I think i am going to join Lufthansa Miles & More for Star Alliance.

By the way Keith, is AA AAdvantage any good ?

Edited by Isaac

I'm Enrich Silver and also Virgin Atlantic Red (Aiming for Gold) :)

You'll be spending a weekend alternating between KUL and SIN I'm guessing? ;)