MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia CEO says looking at Boeing 787 for AirAsia X fleet growth

I doubt that this is any news at all - the media usually asks questions at event press conferences and he is merely answering them. It isn't an Airasia press conference to announce something. D7 should begin taking delivery of some used A330-300s later this year.

Jib Gor's undertaking to President Trump at the White House few months back bearing fruit ?! :lol:

That may be possible since TF is a GE fanboi....

He might order B787s with GEnX engines when our kleptocrat of a PM next visits the US - MAB backs out of their MoU and passes it to AAXG...

And during negotiations for more planes, any CEO worth his salt will say he is looking at all options.

Saying he is only considering Airbus will not guarantee the best possible prices.

So, a no-news news. Move on.

Eric Schulz, Airbus EVP, Chief of Sales, Marketing & Contracts:

“I have been very pleased to sit down with the AirAsia X team to share the initial A330neo flight test data and to review the aircraft operational performance forecast on the airlines’ routes, covering both the existing and projected network.

All the analysis has confirmed the superiority of the A330neo versus the competition. The combination of airframe improvements, including the hard work done by our teams on cost optimisation, the innovative Skywise application and digital benefits, coupled with the Trent 7000 new engine technology performance and associated maintenance cost optimisation, deliver unprecedented economics to our customers.

Air Asia Group is the leading low cost carrier in the fastest-growing aviation market worldwide and the A330neo is a fantastic value proposition, in particular for the very promising long-haul low cost segment in the 300-400 seat category.”

AirAsia has no plan to buy Boeing B787: CEO Fernandes

KUALA LUMPUR: AirAsia Bhd has ruled out any plans to buy Boeing B787 from the US aircraft manufacturer.
Instead, the low-cost carrier will focus on its commitment with European aircraft manufacturer Airbus.
AirAsia Group chief executive officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes said Boeing would be very keen to have the airline as its customer.
“I go to Seattle more than I have ever done. Right now, we are still very much an Airbus customer. We have no plan to buy from Boeing at the moment,” he was responding to NST Business query after officiating the AirAsia RedQ in Sepang, yesterday.
Fernandes said the airline would continue its expansion, mainly in China, India and Asean region, in line with its on-going aircraft orders.
More:

Having just disposed of Asia Aviation Capital to BBAM, Air Asia Bhd should not be 'buying' any new aircraft anytime soon
Technically, the speculated Dreamliners could still be purchased by BBAM (or any other lessor) and leased to any of the Air Asia group members
:D

Fernandes said buying and owning more aircraft, instead of leasing, would remain its growth strategy

Dunno how this gels with the grand scheme of things though ?! :)

“I go to Seattle more than I have ever done. Right now, we are still very much an Airbus customer. We have no plan to buy from Boeing at the moment,” he was responding to NST Business query after officiating the AirAsia RedQ in Sepang, yesterday.

I can see why he would want to go to Seattle many, many times without committing to being a Boeing customer.

Dunno how this gels with the grand scheme of things though ?! :)

I think he is talking about having a balance between owned and leased aircraft.

Seriously though, I suspect his next order with Airbus won't be so favourably priced - those discounts granted previously meant that Airasia got very low prices for their aircraft and they can still sell them off now at a profit! That is why he has to dangle the "defection to Boeing" stick to keep Airbus nice and friendly.... ;)

I think we need to distinguish between Airasia and Airasia X - AACL is the leasing unit for Airasia and only have narrow bodies on their books. Airasia X's wide body aircraft are mainly leased from AerCap, BOC and other aircraft lessors. A part of their fleet is also owned. So AACL has nothing to do with the A330 fleet.

Ah ok, thanks flee :)

I think I was derailed by the nst article that referred to Air Asia Bhd

It's always a chore for us laymen to remember differentiation AK vs AK-X

MAAX CEO, Benyamin posted in Instagram with Boeing 787-10 aircraft model in AirAsiaX livery. Hope we will see dreamliner in Malaysia with 9M rego 👍🏼

They did seriously consider the 77W before this, so I don't think they are merely looking at Boeing to put pressure on Airbus. If Boeing can offer a good deal, all things considered, they would take it for sure.

AK/D7 LCC business model is to fill the aircraft to the brim. On intercontinental routes like to Europe, it would be easier to fill/break even with a smaller aircraft like 787/A332 than A333.

Edited by KK Lee

I do think he playing the Boeing card to leverage pricing on new Airbus jets. I do believe Boeing knows it too, but....who knows?

They have launch pricing (usually the lowest price) when they ordered the A330Neos. I doubt that they are just negotiating prices.

Maybe they are looking to modify their 66 aircraft order in some way or another. Maybe, they are thinking of cancelling the order for the 10 A350s and are trying to work that into the A330Neo order modification. Time will tell....

There are some rumours that in other for D7 to get slots at SFO n vegas, US wants them to buy the B787 for those routes hence why this is going on. But time will tell.

There are some rumours that in other for D7 to get slots at SFO n vegas, US wants them to buy the B787 for those routes hence why this is going on. But time will tell.

There may be some truth to that. Notice that Ben used the CaliforniaDreaming hashtag....

They have launch pricing (usually the lowest price) when they ordered the A330Neos. I doubt that they are just negotiating prices.

Maybe they are looking to modify their 66 aircraft order in some way or another. Maybe, they are thinking of cancelling the order for the 10 A350s and are trying to work that into the A330Neo order modification. Time will tell....

Let’s face it the A330neo is quite a limited and less capable aircraft compares to 787, isn’t it? And if 787J will enable them to carry full load to London should they decide to return to Europe someday, why not? 787J has the flexibility of doing both medium and long (not ultra) haul. The A359 is simply too expensive and Airbus is probably reluctant to reduce its price in fear of cannabilizing the 330neo program which is hanging by thread at the moment. John Leahy is gone and I’m not sure about the relationship between both parties now as to whether AK/D7 still get preferential treatment or not.

seriously doubt D7 will buy any Boeings and introduce a new type of aircraft into its fleet especially if the numbers are not much as it will cost them quite a lot to introduce a new type of aircraft from parts to crew training. And I do not thikbk D7 will fly to far away places with flight times of more than 12 hours. It may hwever introduce London flights just for the "prestige" of it as such long haul direct flights would not be really profitable for D7.

Sign in to follow this