MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Isaac

Kota Kinabalu International NEW TERMINAL

user posted image

Below is the article :

user posted image

The article is in Chinese. I'm not good at doing translation, so i'll leave this task to other users here who know Chinese smile.gif

Some important points :

- current runway is 2988m long, will soon become 3780m.

- The terminal can accomodate 4x 747, 1x 333, 7x 737, 3x F50 & 3x Dornier at once (remote stands included).

- Kota Kinabalu International will become the 2nd only airport in M'sia to have a dedicated terminal for LCC. The LC terminal can handle 5x 320.

By the way, there is no picture of the low cost terminal yet. I think the the current terminal 2 will be the low cost terminal.

Edited by Isaac

saw the similar news in The Star today. Very nice looking terminal though. Its not that KLIA-ish like all otehr airports. Miri airport looks exactly like KLIA.

the roof look like new Alor Star Terminal and it look like KLIA with future airport concept... Where the control tower ??? great to know this.. anyone has a clear picture of this concept picture.

TRANSLATION OF THE ABOVE NEWSPAPER ARTICLE

(Kota Kinabalu Oct 4) The plan for expanding Kota Kinabalu Int’l Airport to turn her into the 2nd biggest LCC hub in our country will begin vigorously early next year. Currently, early phases of the project such as land filling have already begun. The airport terminal will be three times its original size when completed

The project will include land filling of 20 metric tonnes (?) It will not affect the Tanjung Aru race course near the end of the runway.

Able to handle 9 million passengers

Chief State Minister Datuk Musa Amman made the announcement today has said that the current main terminal (Terminal 1) is only capable of handling 4 million passengers, occupies an area of 25,487 sq. metres will be expanded to 53,513 sq. metres. Total area will increased to 79,000 sq. metres, which is capable for handling 9 million passengers.

After hosting a state meeting at the State Parliamentary Building today, he announced at the news conference that the airport’s runway will increase by almost 1 km, from 2,988 m at present to 3,780 m. It will have a decent and ‘complete’ runway and a complete taxiway alongside. The aircraft stand will also be expanded to accommodate 4x Boeing 747, 1x Airbus A330, 7x Boeing 737, 3x Fokker F-50s and 3x Dorniers (DHC-6s Twin Otters?) aircraft, simultaneously, at any given time.

Currently the terminal is only able to handle 1x Boeing 747, 1x Airbus A330, 4x Boeing 737, 4x Fokker F-50s and 2x Dorniers (DHC-6 Twin Otters?)

Building an LCC hub

The State Minister said, Terminal 2 is able to handle 5x Airbus A320 at the same time, more guiding lights will be added to increase visibility.

He also said: “The initial stage of the project has already begun, this includes land filling of 20 metric tonnes (?) at the end of the runway facing the sea.”

He added that the state government will aid occupants of the illegal housing at the near by shanty town to evacuate to ensure that the project progresses smoothly.

The Ministry of Transport will shortly report to the public the total costing of the entire project. However, the Chief Minister of Transport, Datuk Chen Guang Chai had earlier hinted that the project will likely to cost around RM 70 million. Yesterday, the head of Royal Sabah Jockey Club (?) told the media that the club is already prepared for moving to Tuaran or other race course and hoped that the state government will aid in the move.

He also added that, if the race course is to move to Tambaran (Tambunan?), it will assist as well as stimulate the local economy of Tuaran and its nearby area.

Edited by S V Choong

Isaac, thanks for the news!! Great news indeed.

Looks the current Terminal 1 will get a new facelift. So I suppose the hangar is gone for good? Will terminal 2 gets any upgrade?

I suppose that round shape thingie at the end of current Gate 1 is the boarding gate for Fokker F-50s and DHC-6s?

Glad that it is not another KLIA clone.

Cheers dude... great news for our state for sure.

Had a hard time translating the article, have to say that the write is a bit of a joker.... keep repeating the same thing and always claimed "He said, he said and he said" over and over!! biggrin.gif

Guest Fendy
- The terminal can accomodate 4x 747, 1x 333, 7x 737, 3x F50 & 3x Dornier at once (remote stands included).

9237[/snapback]

looking at the pic, where they put the 333?

Fendy, yeah, you are right......I noticed that too.

No 1x A330 space and certainly not 7x B737 as claimed!

Also, where is the existing control tower? Will they remove it and build another one?

From the artist's rendition, looks like a new terminal to be built adjacent to current entrance to airport compound, with the current open-air gates (in front of MasKargo complex) where the B747's are parked in the attached pic. Considering space constraints at the current location, I suppose they have done well to be able to (theoretically?) fit that many planes in at any one time.

Am waiting eagerly for more details to be revealed, like will they retain the separate levels for departures / arrivals, or utilize different parts of the terminal for the two functions ?

Interesting that they have made no mention whether the refurbished article will be A380 capable. Any wild guesses derived from the two pics availble so far ?

All things considered, a very welcomed development.

SV, that place in Tuaran they are referring to is called 'Tambalang' - already a white elephant with race track and spectators' gallery built but barely visible now due to the overgrown lalang ! The RSTC did move there for a while years ago but abandoned it when they found people here can't be bothered to travel all the way to Tuaran for the afternoon !

Also, I reckon the project will cost slightly more than RM70 million !

And finally, we can breathe easier it hasn't turn out to be another KLIA clone !

Looking forword to this one... this not KLIA Or Dubai Clone... The real Malaysian Architechture.. look damn great wub.gif. BKK new terminal no X factor.. just a big massive building with green roof... mad.gif

Kuala Terengganu New Terminal Concept pic

user posted image

* Azahan pinjam kejap pic you arrr laugh.gif

Alor Star New Terminal Concept pic

user posted image

From today's The Star:

Kota Kinabalu to become second low-cost carrier hub

KOTA KINABALU: Work on making Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) the nation’s second low-cost carrier (LCC) hub after Kuala Lumpur will begin early next year.

Chief Minister Datuk Musa Aman said the LCC hub would be part of the RM700mil KKIA expansion project that included tripling the size of the main terminal from the existing 25,000 sq metres to 79,000 sq metres. 

He said the KKIA runway would also be extended by nearly 1km from the present 2,988m to 3,780m while the parking apron would be enlarged to accommodate four Boeing 747, one Airbus 330, seven Boeing 737, three Fokker 50 and three Twin Otter aircraft at any one time.

In addition, the new LCC terminal would be able to accommodate five Airbus 320 aircraft simultaneously.

“Preliminary work including the reclamation of some 20ha of sea adjacent to the existing runway has begun,” Musa said yesterday after chairing the state Economic Action Council meeting here.

Musa said the state would assist the Transport Ministry in the relocation of several squatter families who would have to make way for the extension.

He said at the SEAC meeting, Transport Ministry representatives also informed state officials that the upgrading of the 134km railway service from Tanjung Aru near here to the interior Tenom district was to begin soon.

Musa said the RM390mil project included replacing the existing rail tracks, construction of nine new stations and upgrading of the existing four, repairing of various rail bridges and the upgrading of 22 railroad crossings.

To a question, Musa said the state government was taking various steps to repay its RM70mil debt with the Federal Government as reported by the Auditor-General.

“It’s normal for the state to owe the Federal Government and we are making gradual repayments,” he said. 

Looks like it's RM 700m and not RM 70m.

Sorry guys, wasn't sure what the number was....

My apologies!! biggrin.gif

If this was a real project for me, I will be shitting bricks by getting the numbers wrong!

Edited by S V Choong

Calm down SV, it probably does cost RM70m to build ! Bear in mind this is Sabah we're talking about here and the the figure gets nearer the RM700m (or more?) mark hence !

BTW, sounds like you have got some serious issues with your digestive system - perhaps a slight change in your dietary habits may help somewhat !! : )

wow, the terenganu memang minangkabau lah!

9297[/snapback]

That's not really Minangkabau lah. That design is very much the Malay-Terengganu type of architecture. Very similar to the design of beautiful Terengganu resorts like The Aryani or Laguna Redang ResortLaguna Redang. Raja Bahrin must have something to do with TGG's proposed airport design.

But then, last time I was in TGG, there was no sign of any construction yet. I bet it'll take a few years before things are moving.

Also, I wonder why the photos only appear on Chinese newpaper? English or Malay dailies didn't find the photos would attract much attention from the readers eh?

Love the design!

Nah it is more like error between the translation between units in Chinese and SI (international standard).

For eg. 10,000 in Chinese is 1 Wan (or 1 Man in Japanese).

Bing Chu, are you known as "BC Tam" over at the "other" site?

Looks the current Terminal 1 will get a new facelift.  So I suppose the hangar is gone for good?  Will terminal 2 gets any upgrade?

9257[/snapback]

Yes, i think they will soon demolish the hangar or relocate it to somewhere else in the airport area.

Will terminal 2 gets any upgrade?

9257[/snapback]

Yes, they will enlarge the parking space so the teminal can handle 5x 320 at once.

I suppose that round shape thingie at the end of current Gate 1 is the boarding gate for Fokker F-50s and DHC-6s?

9257[/snapback]

EXACTLY ! Same as the one at LBU. Thank you for the translation, by the way, appreciate it very much smile.gif

Also, I wonder why the photos only appear on Chinese newpaper? English or Malay dailies didn't find the photos would attract much attention from the readers eh?

The STAR had the picture too (dated Oct 5th). All Sabahan Malay/Kadazan/English newspapers also had it.

Edited by Isaac

The article is in Chinese. I'm not good at doing translation

Haha... Isaac, you better learn and start early if you'd like to pursue a career in Journalism! biggrin.gif

Yes, they will enlarge the parking space so the teminal can handle 5x 320 at once

I know, but in terms of the terminal building itself, will they upgrade it?

After hosting a state meeting at the State Parliamentary Building today

Question for fellow Sabahan or Malaysian:

Where the heck is our state parlimentary building? Is it supposed to be the Yayasan Sabah building?

Hmm.... I like the Yayasan Sabah building.... Japanese architect who made an engineering feat of their time..... nice.....

no worries ibrahim. but when airport is completed, more chance to fly to BKI in a widebody......

Bing Chu, are you known as "BC Tam" over at the "other" site?

9419[/snapback]

Yes, that is I !

Sabah State Assembly (not parliamentary) building is a new build atop a hill adjacent to the YS complex (now known as Menara Tun Mustapha) Don't think it's accessible to us commoners though !

Quite sad to see state of neglect of the YS building - well, the last time I was there anyway. Dunno who occupies it now, the CM's office has shifted to the Innoprise building next door.

Isaac,

Don't think it's absolutely necessary for them to demolish the hangar and MasKargo complex, they are not in the way - the parking bays (open air) are already there. My guess is they will just extend the terminal building beyond gate 6 now to that area.

However, to fulfil Capt R's long held wish for a full length taxiway, the hangars opposite T2 will definately have to come down, perhaps even the fire/rescue station next door as well ?

Quite sad to see state of neglect of the YS building - well, the last time I was there anyway. Dunno who occupies it now, the CM's office has shifted to the Innoprise building next door.

BC, good guess isn't it - thought you sounded familiar!

Does Yayasan Sabah still exist? Yayasan Sabah has a nice view out to the sea, so is the University of Sabah, Malaysia. Isaac may not know this, but BC have you been to the revolving restaurant on top of the Yayasan Sabah building? There used to be a coffee shop during the 80s. Some fond memories of my late father who brought us there for a cuppa tea, when his business had a branch at the state capital.

BC, afraid that they will have to relocate the MAS Kargo hangar...... Think there may not be space for 4 x 747 size a/c. From the photo, seems like they are extending out to that area anyway.

The newspaper article mentioned something about relocation of refugee houses. Could they be the houses by Gate 1 where you said that it used to be the former execution ground by Imperial Japanese soldiers? So the new hangar might be on that side along with the smaller a/c?

Or are they talking about the refugee houses at the sea end of the runway?

Interesting that they have made no mention whether the refurbished article will be A380 capable. Any wild guesses derived from the two pics availble so far ?

All things considered, a very welcomed development.

SV, that place in Tuaran they are referring to is called 'Tambalang' - already a white elephant with race track and spectators' gallery built but barely visible now due to the overgrown lalang ! The RSTC did move there for a while years ago but abandoned it when they found people here can't be bothered to travel all the way to Tuaran for the afternoon !

Thanks for clarifying things for me. Haven't heard of Tambalang before! So I guess the move to Tambalang is just temporarily until the completion of the airport huh?

Any talks about the fate of the sole railway line on the Borneo island?

I think Airbus A380 is not in the cards for BKI. Wouldn't you guys agree that this will be the second largest airport after KLIA? Not even Penang airport gets 4 gates for the 747s right?

Yes, Yayasan Sabah still exists. Not the cash spewing entity that it was known for in years (must be decades!) past though.

For a more spectacular view of the South China Sea, go to the university, all the way to the top of the hill and wait for your jaw to drop !

The revolving restaurant / cafe at the round YS building was located at the middle section (16th floor?) Nope, never been there as a customer - instead, had the 'privilege' of touring the place from helipad to ground level amidst construction rubble, all on foot ! The top was a penthouse meant to accomodate VIP guests. Think you'll find many things of interest in that project, from an architect's perspective.

The manner you asked about relocation of refugee houses is quite reflective of reality - they're everywhere here !! My guess is they will have to clear both ends to make room to accomodate everything. Doubt if they will construct new hangars towards the current 'gate 1' direction, may be too congested there. More likely to be beyond the current MasKargo complex nearer the fuel farm.

By the sound of it, don't think the race course will be relocated, even on temporary basis. Just that the RSTC expressed their willingness to relocate if need be, only for our CM to reply "no need" ! Probably some attempt to squeeze compensation fund from the govt ! But really, the race track is not in the way of the runway anyway.

It will be a shame if they don't have the place A380 ready - a golden opportunity now to get things in place first. I understand that the current terminal was not originally designed to cater for 747's either. That is why (apparently) there are restrictions when a 747 and other widebodies congregate at BKI - not to mention the chaos at baggage reclaim and check-in counters !

They are also going to 'upgrade' the railway line too. Less details on that project, or that my attention was skewed towards the airport project instead ! Some politician was also harping on extending the line all the way to Kuching - where he is going to find the money for that, he did not say !

Sign in to follow this