MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Airbus launches longest range single-aisle airliner: the A321XLR

A321XLR-01.jpg?wid=1920&fit=fit,1&qlt=85

A321XLR-infografic.jpg?wid=991&fit=fit,1

Le Bourget - Following the very positive feedback from the market, Airbus has launched the A321XLR to complement its best-selling A321neo Family. The A321XLR thus becomes the next evolutionary step which responds to market needs for even more range, and creates more value for the airlines by bringing 30% lower fuel burn per seat than previous-generation competitor aircraft. Starting from 2023, the aircraft will deliver an unprecedented Xtra Long Range of up to 4,700nm 15% more than the A321LR and with the same unbeatable fuel efficiency.

With this added range, airlines will be able to operate a lower-cost single-aisle aircraft on longer and less heavily travelled routes many of which can now only be served by larger and less efficient wide-body aircraft. This will enable operators to open new world-wide routes such as India to Europe or China to Australia, as well as further extending the Familys non-stop reach on direct transatlantic flights between continental Europe and the Americas. For passengers, the A321XLRs new Airspace cabin will provide the best travel experience, while offering seats in all classes with the same high-comfort as on long-haul widebody aircraft.

The A321XLR has been designed to maximize overall commonality with the A321LR and the rest of the A320neo Family, while introducing minimal changes needed to give the aircraft an Xtra Long Range with increased revenue payload. The changes include: the new permanent Rear Centre Tank (RCT) for more fuel volume; a modified landing gear for an increased maximum take-off weight (MTOW) of 101 metric tonnes; and an optimised wing trailing-edge flap configuration to preserve the same take-off performance and engine thrust requirements as todays A321neo. In particular, the new optimised RCT holds more fuel than several optional Additional Centre Tanks (ACTs) did previously, while taking up less space in the cargo hold thus freeing-up underfloor volume for additional cargo and baggage on long range routes.

The A320neo Family is the worlds best-selling single aisle aircraft with over 6,500 orders from more than 100 customers since its launch in 2010. It incorporates new-generation engines and Sharklet wing-tip devices plus other improvements which together bring double-digit fuel savings over its predecessor, the A320ceo Family.

@Airbus #A321XLR #ParisAirShow #PAS19

Visit our Paris Air Show page to stay updated on Airbus presence in Le Bourget

more on the XLR : https://www.airbus.com/aircraft/passenger-aircraft/a320-family/a321neo.html#a321xlr

Airbus faces cabin comfort dilemma as it launches A321XLR jet

PARIS (Reuters) - Airbus is poised to break records by launching the longest-range narrow-body jetliner at the Paris Airshow this week, but jetmakers are having to rethink their mantra on comfort as they squeeze ever more miles out of jets designed for shorter trips.

Report: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-france-airshow-airbus-cabin/airbus-faces-cabin-comfort-dilemma-as-it-launches-a321xlr-jet-idUSKCN1TI0LN

We've come full circle. Previously long haul trips were done on narrowbody jets like the 707 & the DC-8. Now we're back to narrowbody jets on long haul!

And KUL will see one of the first narrow bodies from Air Arabia from July....

We've come full circle. Previously long haul trips were done on narrowbody jets like the 707 & the DC-8. Now we're back to narrowbody jets on long haul!

Nothing fancy but meanwhile in Boeing and its MAX....

Oh dear. Some people resent 738s on 3-4 hour flights. What will they make of an 8-9 hour flight on a flying machine with only one aisle?

Looking at the Airbus infographics, one of the routes is KUL-AKL. GC distance is 4,699 nautical miles. Looks like the plane will arrive at AKL with fumes in its fuel tanks! :)

If D7 include A321XLR, for certain it will be profitable.

Well, it depends on how they configure it. Will it be all an economy 220 seat plane or will it have two class configuration? I think the A321XLR will work for them on their Korea/Japan/Australia routes. A very useful aircraft to have if they want to launch new routes or increase frequency of existing ones. Edited by flee

Slight difference I believe, those long haul 707s and DC8s had to make do with multiple hops back then in time :)

Also back then in time, there weren't any fatties about yet, so everything was slim by default :D

Believe the range has been reduced by 200nmi or more due to some fuel tank pipping concern.

A321NEO 3500nmi
A321NEO LR 4000nmi(addition of 3 external fuel tanks)
A321NEO XLR 4700nmi(on top of 3 external fuel tanks the main fuel tank is enlarged, strengthened main gear to support extra weight)(safety concerns with fuel pipping planned reduction to 4500nmi instead)

Ranges are for configuration of 206-220 passengers. D7's high density config may actually hinder a large number of the range by almost 500nmi.  Meanwhile Airasia's a321neo range seems to hover around 3000nmi with 240 passengers without the extra fuel tanks.

Edited by jahur

I think D7 will probably have less seats than AK - we may see seat pitch increase from the 29 inches that they have on AK. I am not sure if there will be any premium seats on their XLRs. If they have those, we may see D7s A321s having around 200 seats.

Tried JQ on their A321neo LR on SYD-DPS two months ago. Luckily I was on emergency seat otherwise I am not sure if I could endure the flight this long on their standard seats. The toilet is so tiny, only slightly better than the one on a SAAB 340. 

Sadly nowadays high density single aisle planes becoming more and more common for flights 5 hours and above.

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

On 9/30/2023 at 11:39 PM, Kee Hooi Yen said:

Tried JQ on their A321neo LR on SYD-DPS two months ago. Luckily I was on emergency seat otherwise I am not sure if I could endure the flight this long on their standard seats. The toilet is so tiny, only slightly better than the one on a SAAB 340. 
Sadly nowadays high density single aisle planes becoming more and more common for flights 5 hours and above.

Currently the closest A321neo example will be SAS's A321neoLR:

Route: Copenhagen, Denmark to Washington DC, USA

Total distance: 4,074 miles (6,557 km)

Total time: 9hr 30mins

Seat configuration: 157 seats (C22 W12 Y123)

SK_32Q.png

For low cost front, Wizz Air Hungary previously planned to use its A321neo:

Route: Abu Dhabi, UAE to Milan, Italy 

Total distance: 2,932 miles (4,719km)

Total time: 7hr 20mins

Seat configuration: 239 seats

airbus_a321_neo_seatmap_21cd3564.jpg

Edited by JuliusWong

21 minutes ago, JuliusWong said:

Currently the closest A321neo example will be SAS's A321neoLR:

Route: Copenhagen, Denmark to Washington DC, USA

Total distance: 4,074 miles (6,557 km)

Total time: 9hr 30mins

Seat configuration: 157 seats (C22 W12 Y123)

SK_32Q.png

For low cost front, Wizz Air Hungary previously planned to use its A321neo:

Route: Abu Dhabi, UAE to Milan, Italy 

Total distance: 2,932 miles (4,719km)

Total time: 7hr 20mins

Seat configuration: 239 seats

airbus_a321_neo_seatmap_21cd3564.jpg

Nice comparison.

Also just saw a lessor re-possession of 2 a320neo.

It seems empty ferry fully fueled the a320neo could do almost 10hours. The a321neo and more could probably do 12-13hours ferrying which is crazy.

Saw this online, good to share here:

Total order for A321XLR (specific order only):

1. Aer Lingus – 6         
  2. Air Arabia – 20 
  3. Air Canada – 28
  4. Air Lease – 27
  5. Air Transat – 4     
  6. AirAsia X – 20             
  7. American Airlines – 50     
  8. Cebu Pacific – 10
  9. Flynas – 10    
  10. IAG – 14        
  11. Icelandair – 13
  12. Indigo Partners – 50
  13. JetBlue – 13 
  14. LATAM Airlines Group – 17     
  15. Middle East Airlines – 4  
  16. Qantas Group – 36
  17. Saudia – 15    
  18. United Airlines    - 50
  19. Vietjet – 20     

Total – 407

Actual numbers maybe higher as many airlines placed group order for A320neo family and has interchangeable clause. Airbus mentioned before it has garnered over 550 orders for A321XLR.

I thought D7 ordered 30 aircraft:

https://www.airbus.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2019-08-airasia-x-orders-12-more-a330neo-and-30-a321xlr-aircraft

This is the latest discussion about their order following their financial collapse.

https://simpleflying.com/air-asia-new-a321xlr-fleet/

I think that with the merger with AK Group, they may actually have different cabin configurations. Since AK Group's remaining orders are for A321s, it would be easy to switch from one family member to another. Somehow, I get the feeling that we won't be seeing so many A339 as they are also talking about the A350 nowadays.

2 hours ago, flee said:

I thought D7 ordered 30 aircraft:

https://www.airbus.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2019-08-airasia-x-orders-12-more-a330neo-and-30-a321xlr-aircraft

This is the latest discussion about their order following their financial collapse.

https://simpleflying.com/air-asia-new-a321xlr-fleet/

I think that with the merger with AK Group, they may actually have different cabin configurations. Since AK Group's remaining orders are for A321s, it would be easy to switch from one family member to another. Somehow, I get the feeling that we won't be seeing so many A339 as they are also talking about the A350 nowadays.

The AirAsia X's order for 30 A321XLR was revised downward to only 20 back in 2019, the same time when they cancelled 63 out of 78 firm order for A339neo.  Not sure if Airbus allows AirAsia Group/ Capital A to interchange its order, because they were two separate orders. AirAsia order was an upgrade from remaining A320neo order to standard A321neo. AirAsia X was A339neo with A320XLR bundled together. At the moment, AirAsia X's order for A339neo remains at 15 with 20 A321XLR. As for A350, I would think it is just bluff talk. Capital A currently has no financial standing to place such an enormous capital into a new fleet. Plus if they are to place an order now, the earliest they can receive is mid-end of 2026/ start of 2027.

1 minute ago, JuliusWong said:

The AirAsia X's order for 30 A321XLR was revised downward to only 20 back in 2019, the same time when they cancelled 63 out of 78 firm order for A339neo.  Not sure if Airbus allows AirAsia Group/ Capital A to interchange its order, because they were two separate orders. AirAsia order was an upgrade from remaining A320neo order to standard A321neo. AirAsia X was A339neo with A320XLR bundled together. At the moment, AirAsia X's order for A339neo remains at 15 with 20 A321XLR. As for A350, I would think it is just bluff talk. Capital A currently has no financial standing to place such an enormous capital into a new fleet. Plus if they are to place an order now, the earliest they can receive is mid-end of 2026/ start of 2027.

Well we just need to study the order spreadsheet.

https://www.airbus.com/en/products-services/commercial-aircraft/market/orders-and-deliveries

We will see whether they will consolidate the orders post merger but Airbus orders take a long time to update. They showed D7's 10 A350 orders for a long time before removing it. Yes, TF always likes to hype plane orders but the media has gotten savvy to it and don't get so excited nowadays when he talks about buying more planes.

Sign in to follow this