MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Vivek

Hello from India

Hello All,

This is Vivek from Mumbai, India. I am travelling to Malaysia on September 16th. Will arrive at KUL by MH195 on 17th. Would be staying in KL for two days and will be off to PEN by Air Asia on the 19th.

What are the good spots inside the terminal (both the main terminal & the LCCT) for spotting/clicking pics? I would be travelling with my wife, so would not be able to venture outisde the airport for photography.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Vivek

P.S. My aviation pics can be found here:

http://myaviation.net/?uid=14203

Hello,

Thanks for the information. Any idea on how is PEN airport for spotting/photography? Also, what is the kind of international traffic the airport sees apart from the usual MH and Air Asia birds?

Thanks in advance.

- Vivek

Have fun spotting in KLIA! :D

PEN has quite limited traffic i think. Occasional SQ and CX and also Cargo Runs by some foreign airlines.

You can contact the penang folks for spotting location.

Hello,

Thanks for the information. Any idea on how is PEN airport for spotting/photography? Also, what is the kind of international traffic the airport sees apart from the usual MH and Air Asia birds?

Thanks in advance.

- Vivek

Wekcome to the wing First of all :drinks:

PEN has TG, Xiamen, SQ, CX, Adam Air, UPS, FedEx, Maskargo, Asiana Cargo, CX cargo, KLM cargo, DHL(Transmile), China Soutern etc etc. Hope you enjoy ur visit :good:

Welcome to Malaysianwings, Vivek... :)

Understood that you can only spot within terminal,

thus for KLIA, you can go to Viewing Gallery to shoot,

but through glass panes though...

LCCT... maybe while waiting for flight in waiting area

or while walking towards your aircraft for boarding.

But best spot is still from the perimeter fence as shown in our guides up there.

As for PEN, I don't think you could see the aircraft/ramp/runway from

within the terminal... you've to go by the perimeter fence

and you need to have ground transport for that.

Check out some of our shots from PEN for these..

If not mistaken I've put up a guide in one pf my post..

--

As for PEN, I don't think you could see the aircraft/ramp/runway from

within the terminal... you've to go by the perimeter fence

and you need to have ground transport for that.

Check out some of our shots from PEN for these..

You might get to spot aircraft from the terminal, but the result of the pix will mostly purplish since the PEN airport glass covered wit purple thingy layers :)

Edited by Seth K

Thank you so much guys for this information.

How is the glass at the KLIA viewing gallery? Is it too thick/tinted resulting in pics with background glare, grains or is it good enough for taking some good pics?

The one at the Don Muang airport at BKK was thick but I could manage to click a few pics when the light was good.

BTW, I am flying from BOM on Sep 16 by MH-195 which is normally operated by a 772. The flight reaches KUL at 0545 on the 17th. Any idea whether an equipment change is common on this route because I had seen an A332 at BOM once.

I will be flying to PEN on the 19th by Air Asia flt AK6314 leaving KUL at 1340. Return is by AK6319 on the 21st, arriving at 1315.

I will be returning to BOM the same evening by MH194 leaving KUL at 1755.

I have earmarked atleast a couple of hours at all airports for spotting. Lets hope I can catch some good action. Will keep you all updated.

- Vivek

You might get to spot aircraft from the terminal, but the result of the pix will mostly purplish since the PEN airport glass covered wit purple thingy layers :)

Allowing 4 hours between flights?? On Ak and MH..........you will barely have a sit during that period :pardon:

This is from inside PEN terminal pix(as you can notice the purple)

IPB Image

And the crystal clear of KLIA

IPB Image

Edited by Seth K

Hello Andrew,

Nice to meet you as well! :) I will land in KUL on Sep 17 and will stay there till the 19th when I will proceed to PEN.

- Vivek

Hello Vivek nice to meet U!!! U will come to KUL on september 16!!!!! I personally not around very sorry cannot bring U to spot area!!!!!have fun!!!! :drinks:

Hello Andrew,

Nice to meet you as well! :) I will land in KUL on Sep 17 and will stay there till the 19th when I will proceed to PEN.

- Vivek

Wish U have a happy journey!!!!! :drinks:

Hi Vivek,

Welcome to MWs.

I can't help you much on the issue, since I am from Hong Kong.

Wekcome to the wing First of all :drinks:

PEN has TG, Xiamen, SQ, CX, Adam Air, UPS, FedEx, Maskargo, Asiana Cargo, CX cargo, KLM cargo, DHL(Transmile), China Soutern etc etc. Hope you enjoy ur visit :good:

The CX078/079 is now mostly operated by AHK's A300-600GF.

Edited by Sneeze Lam

Hi there Vivek,

welcome to MWings. You sure can get some picture from the viewing gallery at KLIA just that you'll mostly get MH's 734 and a 772. However, SQ and Royal Brunei is visible via a little bit more of zoom.

push your lens as close as you can to the glass at the VG and a good shot is possible. Check my latest pic from A.net or JP.net (9M-MMV and 9M-MMN) which are shot from the VG.

color will be abit out but if you do some correction later in PP, i don't think that's a problem. However in PEN the glass is as what you can see from Seth's pic they tinted with dark brown and purple in color.... check out my trip report HERE for some picture shot from inside PEN terminal :)

Edited by Kevin Teh

Hey Kevin,

Thanks so much for the information. Yes, I tried the same technique of pressing the lens close to the glass surface at BKK as well :)

I was going over the layout of KLIA the other day and there seems to be a shuttle train between the main terminal and the satellite terminal. Is this route underground or elevated? Can one move freely betwen these two terminals even if one doesnt have an imminent flight departure? Also, any chances of clicking pics from the satellite terminal?

- Vivek

Hi there Vivek,

welcome to MWings. You sure can get some picture from the viewing gallery at KLIA just that you'll mostly get MH's 734 and a 772. However, SQ and Royal Brunei is visible via a little bit more of zoom.

Hey Kevin,

Thanks so much for the information. Yes, I tried the same technique of pressing the lens close to the glass surface at BKK as well :)

I was going over the layout of KLIA the other day and there seems to be a shuttle train between the main terminal and the satellite terminal. Is this route underground or elevated? Can one move freely betwen these two terminals even if one doesnt have an imminent flight departure? Also, any chances of clicking pics from the satellite terminal?

- Vivek

The "aerotren" runs elavated and goes underground when crossing the taxiways.

You can't move freely on these trains unless you're "cleared" to the satellite terminal.

Immigration and Custom are in the main terminal.

You can take pics in the satellite term... similar to main terminal. Shooting towards apron

from within the boarding/waiting areas.