Icon Important Announcement!

New registrations require administration validation. This may delay registration approvals.

Photo

MASwings to Terminate 6 Routes by 2018

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Sii Lw

Sii Lw
  • Facebook Connect
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

Good point.. was about to say the same.. anyways, returning to the original topic.. we will now see less of Maswings in Sabah.

MASwings will still be here, at least in MYY for the much needed RAS operations.

I think the era of RAS in Sabah is now over. All the small towns which used to be served with Otters are now connected by roads - example, Ranau, Kota Belud and Keningau are now within 2 hours drive from KK, even people prefer to travel to Kudat by land although Otter is still flying there albeit with mediocre schedule and exorbitant price (~RM500++ return - absurd price). Sadly, the airfields are now abandoned even though these are still government owned.

Sadly, era of RAS in Sarawak is not over yet. We will still see much Twin Otters in MYY, and a little presence in KCH. Most people would much prefer driving as well, but many STOLports are located at Sarawak-Kalimantan border (eg. Bario, Ba'kelalan, Long Akah etc.) and these are hardly accessible by roads (at least currently, since the cost is way too high for the state to bear, or maybe the top brass can't get enough $ out of it? =X), nor express boats.

#42 Michael Chai

Michael Chai
  • Gold Member
  • 754 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

ATR aircrafts comes handy with their economy fuel burn, however, the most hurting part is their maintenance, which costs a lot though. Nevertheless, ATR are meant for routes with low capacity passengers other than 100++ passengers per turn.

#43 jahur

jahur
  • Gold Member
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:13 PM

For Sabah the viking still needs to serve Kudat-Sandakan and also Kota Kinabalu to Lawas, while the atr is needed for the lahad datu leg as the airport doesnt support jet operation and there's certain demand for sdk to tawau on atr now they cut off kk-sdk+twu wonder how's the sdk-twu tag along is still flying or also terminated.

Edited by jahur, 10 November 2017 - 07:16 PM.

#44 Mohd Firdaus Bolong

Mohd Firdaus Bolong
  • Silver Member
  • 388 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:03 PM

Last minute deal?

Nope.. you can use the MAS app on ios. I did a dummy for Mid January its rm98 to KUD and rm86 from KUD.. maybe the costly ones are those through SDK.

#45 Waiping

Waiping

Model Collector/Spotter

• Platinum Member
  • 5,621 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 10:26 PM

For Sabah the viking still needs to serve Kudat-Sandakan and also Kota Kinabalu to Lawas, while the atr is needed for the lahad datu leg as the airport doesnt support jet operation and there's certain demand for sdk to tawau on atr now they cut off kk-sdk+twu wonder how's the sdk-twu tag along is still flying or also terminated.

BKI - KUD - SDK still twice weekly?  They didn't mention terminating TWU -SDK explicitly right since this route is mainly cater to businesses, and usually full.

Nope.. you can use the MAS app on ios. I did a dummy for Mid January its rm98 to KUD and rm86 from KUD.. maybe the costly ones are those through SDK.

I don't think it's true that it would cost RM500 for this route.  Can easily charter a MPV for that price here.

#46 jahur

jahur
  • Gold Member
  • 890 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

BKI - KUD - SDK still twice weekly?  They didn't mention terminating TWU -SDK explicitly right since this route is mainly cater to businesses, and usually full.

I don't think it's true that it would cost RM500 for this route.  Can easily charter a MPV for that price here.

The problem with twu-sdk the flights originated from bki, and maswings planning to terminate em means theres no aircraft for the sector. Unless maswings based an aircraft specifically in twu/sdk which is highly unlikely.

I got the bki-kud-sdk viking flight for rm161 but its booked on mas website instead of maswings. But noticed recently flight is easily cancelled especially for kudat, weather is all over it. Still cant shake off my bumpy flight experience looking all the yellow orange red painted all over on the pilots weather radar display when viewing from the passenger first row view and last week same issue from friends account on the trip.

Edited by jahur, 11 November 2017 - 09:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users