MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
CX B.

SilkAir to merge into SIA

So it is happening (soon)! Just imagine the timeless SQ livery painted on those B737-800 & MAX 8 :air_kiss: It makes me excited already! In short:

- MI's cabin product will be upgraded from 2020 to be on par with that of SQ's (IFE on each seat + lie-flat J class).

- Only after a sufficient number of aircrafts are retrofitted that we will see the merger happening.

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/companies-markets/sia-merging-silkair-into-flagship-carrier

Edited by CX B.

For many years now, MI has been masquerading as SQ on one particular route - SIN-BWN vv.

And in the early years of such ops, even the inflight mags, headrest covers, meal service items, toilet amenities were replaced with SQ's before each flight operated by MI.

Only the crew remained in MI uniform and of course, no repainting of aircraft was done.

I am quite sure the new livery will only be applied to MI aircraft during the cabin refit. So, not so fast!

And I doubt if we will see any of their A320s painted in SQ livery.

MI was created as a regional or poor cousin of SQ for secondary routes that are not feasible for SQ. LCC has made this strategy irrelevant and Scoot has replaced MI role.

Look forward to seeing B737-800 and B737-8Max in SQ colors.

The last narrow body painted in SQ colours should be B757-200 of the late 1980s to 90s.

one thing that's on my watchlist is the J product that will be fitted on the 737. Is it gonna be a 1-1 or 2-2 configuration? To achieve consistency I would imagine SQ to fit their new regional J seats (those debuted on the 78J) onto the 737 but that might mean very few J seats onboard?

Look forward to seeing B737-800 and B737-8Max in SQ colors.

The last narrow body painted in SQ colours should be B757-200 of the late 1980s to 90s.

I thought the 737-300F would be the last narrowbody in SQ colours.

I thought the 737-300F would be the last narrowbody in SQ colours.

Yeah you might be right, I completely forgot about this.

737-300F in SQ cargo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aero_icarus/10739383614

In terms of pax narrowbody it was definitely the 757-200

When did they phase out the 757-200 and 737-300F?

Edited by S V Choong

SIA did operate A310 in the past too

41481175334_95f1257747_c.jpg

We were talking about narrowbodies.

Yeah you might be right, I completely forgot about this.

737-300F in SQ cargo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aero_icarus/10739383614

In terms of pax narrowbody it was definitely the 757-200

When did they phase out the 757-200 and 737-300F?

I think the 733F lasted until 1996 but the 757s left in the 80s when SQ preferred the 310. Recall that SQ acquired both the 310 and 757 to compare real life performance.

good to see consistency in service as i believe they dont have different fare structure for both SQ/MI flights ex KUL to make it justifiable

exactly. since they are priced the same I used to consciously avoid MI whenever possible. But after a while it no longer mattered because of how short the flight was and that was when timing became the determining factor.

exactly. since they are priced the same I used to consciously avoid MI whenever possible. But after a while it no longer mattered because of how short the flight was and that was when timing became the determining factor.

Wonder if their turquoise colour seatings will be changed to SQ seat fabric colours?

This could be the end of regular SQ widebody services into KUL.

Good point. Hopefully aided by increased frequencies

Not good news. Poor service, cramped seats, loss is spend/earn for krisflyer points and all round poor service.

Not good news. Poor service, cramped seats, loss is spend/earn for krisflyer points and all round poor service.

Clearly, the BKI market is not prepared to pay MI prices for MI service/perks.

Clearly, the BKI market is not prepared to pay MI prices for MI service/perks.

nevertheless, yes. :sorry:

anyway, earlier this year when i searching ticket for the Airshow, found that on normal day can get around RM500/sector. and found that there're getting more locals here start to accept MI recently. :search:

i've just make a fast dummy booking for 04-07dec BKI-SINvv. return ticket only RM631.00. while AK return ticket (lowest available) is RM340 (gross) on the same date.

Sign in to follow this