MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kenneth Chong WT

MAB vs Josh Cahill

I recently flew with them on their flagship route and aircraft and I must say that there is something lacking in their cabin service. It is not consistent and their crew definitely seemed to have a chip on their shoulder, not all but most of them on the flights I was on. The meal services are not consistent and they lack terribly in their service qualities. Mid flight snacks were not distributed evenly and despite being awake, they missed a few rows in economy and mind you, the flight was overbooked that night. I recall pressing the crew button above my seat and when the senior crew came, he was like "Yes?" with such a pissed off gesture and body language. When I asked for a snack, he brought the snack and a cup of water, leaving me with no choice but to have water as he decided that for me. Haha and the list goes on. So why do we have incompetent people like that on our national carrier tarnishing our image? Everyone has their bad days and I am sure they do too but come on? As much as I want to support MH, I am no longer drawn to them especially on long haul. I must say AK have better and lively cabin services.

Not sure if this is also due to language command and overall attitude, or typical way Malaysians speak. In a recent flight a few weeks ago, a cabin crew told two guys sitting next to me to remove their phones from the seat charger. She just said, "Guys, pull that out from the charger." You just don't address your customers as "guys" - a bit too casual for me. One crew, after requesting for water, addressed me, "boss, your water"

Yet on other flights, I had outstanding crew who were extremely cheerful and polite.

Yeah -you are right. Inconsistency is what MH is known for. I could have the same medium haul flight with pillows and yet some without pillows.

When I asked for a snack, he brought the snack and a cup of water, leaving me with no choice but to have water as he decided that for me

To clarify, did you order a drink and got water instead, or did you not order a drink at all and was proactively served a cup of water?

Haha and the list goes on

Do list them so we can know how badly MH is tarnishing its reputation

I must say AK have better and lively cabin services.

Yes, I did notice livelier service on AK due to the inflight sales and the constant exchange of money. Personally, I prefer the quieter atmosphere on MH where I don't have to dig out change every time I feel like having a drink.

When you get a demoralized workforce, topsy-turvy management & no clear direction on where things should go - you get this. You have some semblance of proactiveness (like how they alerted the captain about this guy's problems via comms) mixed with indifference & disgust (the cabin crew's attitude).

I recall on AK/D7 flights the crew would thanks the pax by bowing in front just before landing. Do they still do that?

I recall on AK/D7 flights the crew would thanks the pax by bowing in front just before landing. Do they still do that?

Yes and despite having multiple sectors a day, they still can perform better than some of them on my MH flights recently who only have one sector (long haul) :bad:

To clarify, did you order a drink and got water instead, or did you not order a drink at all and was proactively served a cup of water?

Do list them so we can know how badly MH is tarnishing its reputation

Yes, I did notice livelier service on AK due to the inflight sales and the constant exchange of money. Personally, I prefer the quieter atmosphere on MH where I don't have to dig out change every time I feel like having a drink.

I actually asked for a drink and he brought water instead of the drink tray. He was like that with the others too, so nothing personal with me I guess :search:

Not sure if this is also due to language command and overall attitude, or typical way Malaysians speak. In a recent flight a few weeks ago, a cabin crew told two guys sitting next to me to remove their phones from the seat charger. She just said, "Guys, pull that out from the charger." You just don't address your customers as "guys" - a bit too casual for me. One crew, after requesting for water, addressed me, "boss, your water"

Yet on other flights, I had outstanding crew who were extremely cheerful and polite.

Yeah -you are right. Inconsistency is what MH is known for. I could have the same medium haul flight with pillows and yet some without pillows.

Yeah it has become so casual these days on MH, I remember how we used to love the MH announcements and the way they speak because they were so professional yet today they have lost most of it. The inflight announcements which were done by the chief purser was quite good albeit because he is the leader and also from a different generation who spoke with great articulation. Having said that, I do believe that MH is not a lost cause as there is still hope. With this hot news shared by Josh Cahill, I hope MH will make the necessary changes to improve their services. :lazy:

What are your thoughts? I have never had a bad flight on MH especially on their longhaul service...is this just an unfortunate isolated case?

On kul-lhr, find ba is better in foods and services.

On mh regional, recommend to eat before boarding.

Edited by KK Lee

I don't pay attention to all these s#1t reviewers or bloggers, but Josh Cahill and what that Justin and his big tits gf F class review really bring stupidity to stratosphere level.

Based on insider info, MH CEO has wrote Josh an apology letter, and the ground crew had met him upon arrival at LHR on his flight date to invesitage what went wrong. Also MH offered to full refund to his ticket. He should consider himself lucky the Captain didn't divert the flight to offload him being a nuisance to crew despite asking him to stop filming he continued to do so.

He is just being vindictive and wanted views for his IG, Facebook and YouTube followers.

There is two sides of a story. If I'm MH, I would say "go to hell"... If I may be rude. If polite, go fly kite far far away.

Edited by JuliusWong

I feel like Josh is withholding some crucial information:

From The Sun (UK tabloid):

A spokesperson for Malaysia Airlines told Sun Online Travel: “We pride ourselves on the quality of our service and regret if the passenger felt standards were below expectations on this occasion.

"Unfortunately, we were unable to accommodate his request for an upgrade as the aircraft was at capacity in first and business class.

"As soon as we were made aware of Mr Cahill’s grievances, we contacted him directly and offered a full refund for his journey.

I did not view his YouTube, simply because I don't like to contribute to a blogger's bottom line but I wasn't sure if he mentioned the above in his video. A quick search revealed that he mostly reviewed premium cabins, with a few oddballs in Y. Maybe his modus operandi is to contact the airline's social media team (which he did with MH) and pulled out his DYKWIA card but failed this time?

A full refund plus a letter from the CEO and ground staff waiting for your arrival isn't enough for a "worst flight of his life"? I wonder what else is he entitled to?

A full refund plus a letter from the CEO and ground staff waiting for your arrival isn't enough for a "worst flight of his life"? I wonder what else is he entitled to?

He's your run-of-the-mill over-entitled blogger/YouTuber. Thankfully the people who contribute most to the airline's bottom line don't make decisions based on sensationalised YouTube videos with clickbait titles. Edited by Chris Tan

I don't pay attention to all these s#1t reviewers or bloggers, but Josh Cahill and what that Justin and his big tits gf F class review really bring stupidity to stratosphere level.

Based on insider info, MH CEO has wrote Josh an apology letter, and the ground crew had met him upon arrival at LHR on his flight date to invesitage what went wrong. Also MH offered to full refund to his ticket. He should consider himself lucky the Captain didn't divert the flight to offload him being a nuisance to crew despite asking him to stop filming he continued to do so.

He is just being vindictive and wanted views for his IG, Facebook and YouTube followers.

There is two sides of a story. If I'm MH, I would say "go to hell"... If I may be rude. If polite, go fly kite far far away.

I agree, but at the same time I feel that the crew could have dealt with him in a more refined matter.

He's your run-of-the-mill over-entitled blogger/YouTuber. Thankfully the people who contribute most to the airline's bottom line don't make decisions based on sensationalised YouTube videos with clickbait titles.

Problem is, sensationalized YouTube videos with clickbait titles are the norm today...

Frankly, MH should just shut up and let this pass by. The Internet does not linger too much and tomorrow, there will be another story on the top of the "likes"....

However, MH should not dismiss this episode either. They should review what has happened and look at ways to improve their SOPs to better handle these kind of passengers.

No matter what we say online reviews like this will continue to garner viewership, whether airlines, hotels, even cameras and hanphones because we don't have enough experience to help us decide. Now for this case we'd probably flown more flight on MH than this blogger's flight combined, so I trust my own judgement.

Unfortunately for other airlines, I will most likely decide based on online reviews. :(

Review is still a review and whether there is a secondary gains look at what we were shown, if you watch the video :

1. The quality and hygiene of the food. I would not eat the rubbery, stick to the container egg-like food

2. The PTV wasnt working and despite their reassurance in making him feel comfortable, they did not fix the PTV or offered other options. If you are an anxious person and has in mind that you are flying a plane with PTV and did not give that and had to endure 14 hours of flight, how do you feel? The crew could even offer to waive internet fee, instead of asking to shut his phone.

3. As you can see from the video, how the crew acted by asking him to shut off. Despite flowery speech about whether they did it or not, it is in the video. You cant shut peoples voice, they will talk even more. He did say he got the email reply from CEO but it was a generic apology. Impersonal replies, we got it all the time.

4. He is an influential blogger and that the fact that he did ask permissions to video prior to the review.

I hope MAS will come up with better statement and improvement in their products and service to match Malaysian Hospitality they aspire to bring. Please not another nasi lemak telanjang.

Btw, this article is currently viral in Australian media and press.

I watched it and thought it could have been covered in a few minutes rather than 20 mins of drama. Based on what I saw it was very poor from MH but Im curious about the bits not covered. If the PTV wasn't fixed then get up ask somebody to fix it or find you another seat. The crew can be very hit and miss although on short-haul J I find most of them very good but in Y quite poor and short with people.

Now Ive not used MH to London for many years but tempted to try them in Y just after Christmas due to price, convenience and the fact that this year I managed to get enrich gold so I get will get a few more benefits. I have a quick question, is there a recline restriction on the last row of economy plus seats?

Frankly, he's just dying for attention.

Crumbs leftover on seat .... ooo, it's the worst flight on my life.

Omelette not to my liking (whilst flying Y) .... the worst flight of my life.

Faulty headphones ....I'm never going to fly MH ever again

Not getting attention from a cabin crew .... worst flight of my life...

onboard wifi too slow .... I will die before I land in LHR

Just sayin..

And, if MH was to make a donation of its own choosing .... what if MH changed its mind and decided to make the donation to an orphanage instead. It is after all, its own choice to decide...

Speaking of service quality on MH - I recall reading in their inflight magazine around May or July 2018 that the 'service quality level has gone above and beyond', or something along the lines of that.

Sadly I have to beg to differ - on a MEL-KUL flight and return, service was extremely poor. In fact at one stage when a crew member accidentally bumped the catering cart into the corner of the galley she dropped the 's' word - first time i have heard swearing by a cabin crew member during their duties. The general attitude of the cabin crew members spelt one thing - it was that "dont care" attitude that really surprised me and is definitely not the same MH I flew on first in the mid 2000's.

On the KUL-LHR and return legs were much better - there was a massive difference in quality of service. Which was surprising considering the really bad experiences on the MEL-KUL/return flights.

Besides that - the revamped lounge at KUL Sattelite terminal is a much improvement - however i do not feel personally, that it is on par with other one-world lounges at a major hub.

Speaking of service quality on MH - I recall reading in their inflight magazine around May or July 2018 that the 'service quality level has gone above and beyond', or something along the lines of that.

Sadly I have to beg to differ - on a MEL-KUL flight and return, service was extremely poor. In fact at one stage when a crew member accidentally bumped the catering cart into the corner of the galley she dropped the 's' word - first time i have heard swearing by a cabin crew member during their duties. The general attitude of the cabin crew members spelt one thing - it was that "dont care" attitude that really surprised me and is definitely not the same MH I flew on first in the mid 2000's.

On the KUL-LHR and return legs were much better - there was a massive difference in quality of service. Which was surprising considering the really bad experiences on the MEL-KUL/return flights.

Besides that - the revamped lounge at KUL Sattelite terminal is a much improvement - however i do not feel personally, that it is on par with other one-world lounges at a major hub.

A lot of the younger and young-looking cabin crew on MH these days are greenhorns. Very rough around the edges. It seems that they were not trained as well or as much as the previous generations or simply lack the finesse and motivation. Some lacked patience, some unfortunately appeared to have left their brains at home and tend to look clueless.

MH had let go too many of the good and experienced ones.

If you want good service these days, go for the older ones.

Sign in to follow this