MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ameq

Qatar Airways to Fly to Penang wef 6 February 2018 with B787-8

Congrats to PEN.

We've been discussing about this since 2007/2008 when nastar is still working with QR. It finally materialises.

Boeing 787 Dreamliner, which features 22 seats in Business Class and 232 seats in Economy Class

Flight Schedule:

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

Doha (DOH) to Penang (PEN) QR850 departs: 02:30 arrives 14:30

Penang (PEN) to Doha (DOH) QR851 departs: 20:30 arrives 23:20

Next in line has to be BKI.

Yay! Congrats Penang! Perhaps can stopover in Penang after this for travel to Europe or beyond..

And, dont think KK will hv that market at the moment...

C'mon. If they can fly to Krabi, I don't see why KK can't. I think Krabi is a lesser market than KK. Krabi airport handled 4 million pax in 2016 vs 7 million in BKI. I think QR would be keen to venture into Borneo for the first time and where else to start a footprint in Borneo if not at its largest airport.

Well, I think its a fact that there is no efficient way to get out of Borneo unless you fly...that is why pax figures is high...

So, what im trying to say is that perhaps most pax travel in and out of BKI are travelling domestic apart from North Asia. Pax from Middle East and beyond might not be that much compared with Penang.

C'mon. If they can fly to Krabi, I don't see why KK can't. I think Krabi is a lesser market than KK. Krabi airport handled 4 million pax in 2016 vs 7 million in BKI. I think QR would be keen to venture into Borneo for the first time and where else to start a footprint in Borneo if not at its largest airport.

Qr is likely to tag bki to sgn, pen or kul to start.

If load on pen-doh is sustainable will be a loss for mh to Europe.

Edited by KK Lee

But Krabi gets a lot more western tourists than KK which is more popular among East Asian tourists.

But Krabi gets a lot more western tourists than KK which is more popular among East Asian tourists.

Exactly my point. I hope QR can grow traffic in PEN significantly through QR's transit hub in DOH.

With current flight bans by several Mideast countries for QR..I guess traffic will mostly be sourced from Europe.

Which means we in KK need to tweak our available products to draw in the westerners too

If and when QR arrives at BKI, I think we can say bye bye to BI thereafter :)

Edited by BC Tam

QR and EK have already checked out BKI years ago and can load up into the gds anytime. Its only a matter of sustaining load which is difficult.

Bki's growth is mostly catering tourist multi frequency flights from China and south korea almost 12-15 flights a day. Visitor numbers from europe remains the same. While gulf tourist feel Sabah's resort and facilities are not luxurious as thailand and shopping is non existant.

So QR has to really market bki well to the westerners instead of their locals if it wants the route to do well.

Edited by jahur

Via PEN or KUL, has that been done in the past/do we have a precedent (I mean a foreign airline serving 2 destinations in Malaysia as a tag on)?

Via PEN or KUL, has that been done in the past/do we have a precedent (I mean a foreign airline serving 2 destinations in Malaysia as a tag on)?

Bki via pen or kul is unlikely to have 5th freedom right. If mavcom doesn't approve domestic tag then it will benefit other airport, not that qr must tag bki with pen or kul. Edited by KK Lee

Maybe foreign airlines operating freighters.

QR used to operate KUL-HKT as a tag on but it did not last due to poor traffic. If it is a tag on, BKI might suffer the same fate.

Now, QR will need to assess the impact the DOH-PEN route has on DOH-KUL traffic before it considers another Malaysian destination.

QR used to operate KUL-HKT as a tag on but it did not last due to poor traffic. If it is a tag on, BKI might suffer the same fate.

Now, QR will need to assess the impact the DOH-PEN route has on DOH-KUL traffic before it considers another Malaysian destination.

Qr tagged hkt to kul before starting non stop doh-hkt. Reasons to tag hkt to kul was to test hkt market at minimum cost and give hkt load to grow to justify non stop from doh. Edited by KK Lee

Qr tagged hkt to kul before starting non stop doh-hkt. Reasons to tag hkt to kul was to test hkt market at minimum cost and give hkt load to grow to justify non stop from doh.

I think the majority of QR pax do not originate from DOH - so they have already transited once in DOH. If you ask them to transit again in KUL before going to HKT, it is one stop too much. That was probably why loads on KUL-HKT were not good while DOH-HKT worked well.

Sign in to follow this