MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Prestley Shim

Kuching International Airport @ WBGG 2016

Nice catch Prestly. I wish I had the chance to catch them both like this but everytime passing by its just empty tarmac. Btw any suggestion on some good spotting location around KIA?

Thank you! To monitor inbound traffic, I suggest you monitor FlightRadar24. Get the mobile app as well, very useful. The A33F is a regular. The Jumbo however, once in a blue moon. For spotting locations, there are three that I know of and two of them I always frequent.

1. Cargo bay. Recommended during noon to evening onwards due to lighting. Great for taxiing shots on taxiway A, runway 25 arrivals vacating via A3, runway 25 departure rotation shots and runway 07 rotations shots (for light aircraft).

2. New shophouses at the end of runway 25. Coming from OneTJ roundabout, going past Lions' Home, go straight ahead. You will encounter two traffic lights. When you encounter the second one before making a right turn to go on the long road parallel to the runway, go straight ahead pass the traffic light and into the shophouse area. Located just beneath runway 25 glidepath, aircraft are normally about 10-15 seconds before touchdown when they pass overhead. Great for landing shots and will also give you awesome golden hour lighting during the evenings. North of runway 25 extended centerline..

3. Stampin Resettlement Housing area Lorong 24 (for morning spotting). After Lions' Home, turn left at the first traffic light (as mentioned above). From there on follow the road all the way, keep your eyes open for the Lorong 24 sign. It will be quite far so don't worry if you don't find it as quickly as you expect. Right before you turn into Lorong 24, there should be a playground beside the road. This location is just opposite location no. 2 (shophouses). South of runway 25 extended centerline.

Video of the Jumbo pushing back, taxi out and rotation yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIDQGKE_KQ0

Edited by Prestley Shim

MAS A380 never lands Kching or even KK.

They don't have any reason to. And nobody really tells you this but the A380 cannot exactly operate normally in Kuching due to its size. Our taxiways and apron are just not meant to handle it. Although yes in theory our runway can handle it but in practice, it's a different story.

Wow..I cannot imagine how it feels to under that giant doing the flyby, did the earth shake under your feet Prestley?

Not exactly but I did feel the 'getaran' when the engines spooled up for the climb. It was my first A400M experience and so far my most unforgettable one :pardon:

Once in a blue moon full house :lol:

If all R bays are occupied as well then it's a proper full house B)

Was supposed to catch Rayani Air's inaugural flight to Kuching but alas it was delayed from KUL by 4 hours!!! Original ETA was 4.45pm local. A few other spotters and I waited for close to 3 hours before we got the info from a fellow KUL spotter travelling onboard the flight. But the long agonizing wait allowed me to test out my super old Canon Powershot A495 point and shoot which I had never used for spotting before. Results turned out quite decent.

Gading Sari's bird

24728303995_0370910d03_b.jpg9M-GSB by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

24100120734_678e51360d_b.jpgIMG_6733 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

Lighting was just right here

24385318169_d1ca67621a_b.jpg9M-AHP by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

24659474941_f88bdca59e_b.jpg9M-MXI by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

24726763306_2fecdf883f_b.jpg9M-AJE by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

Hoping to catch at least Rayani Air's second flight to KCH. Hope it doesn't get horribly delayed again.

24360621259_edf982c764_b.jpgIMG_6740 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

Anyone know this aircraft belongs to whom? Can't get a reg, was blocked by ground equipment.

Vistajet as far as I can see. 9H-VJI by any chance ?

Vistajet as far as I can see. 9H-VJI by any chance ?

Hmmm it does belong to Vistajet Malta. But couldn't confirm if it was VJI. No flight data history from Flightradar24. Thanks for the info :)

3rd day CNY spotting. Took advantage of the one or two hours window when it didn't rain. All of my catches were AK's Buses. MAB did send in 9M-MTD (A330-300) as MH2522 which arrived a little over 8pm.

24821031862_64da97e9ea_b.jpg1 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

24643504840_2ef780412c_b.jpg2 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

24643496950_d49d224d73_b.jpg3 by Prestley Shim, on Flickr

Edited by Prestley Shim