MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

9 seats abreast in A330

No. They are not and also not the pioneer of this kind of seating arrangement. Several European Charter/Holiday carriers have been doing so since the 90s and if i'm not mistaken, some Air Transat 330 are configured in 3-3-3 in Economy Class too.

And ironically Airbus used to pride itself on ensuring airlines that their customer will be more than one seat away from the aisle. Guess time has changed.

And ironically Airbus used to pride itself on ensuring airlines that their customer will be more than one seat away from the aisle. Guess time has changed.

Yeah, has intrigued me for ages now as to why manufacturer A was so confident airlines would keep to their specified 2-4-2 configuration

Was there not an option back then for the customer to fit out the 'old' busses as they like ?

9 across on an A330 is too much! The seats would be so narrow. I will refuse to fly an airline that packs that into the A330s. The same goes for squeezing 10 across in the B777!

9 across on an A330 is too much! The seats would be so narrow. I will refuse to fly an airline that packs that into the A330s. The same goes for squeezing 10 across in the B777!

10 across on the 777 is still way better than 9 across on the 330. Seats arranged in 10 across on the 777 will still have the same seat width as those Y seats on 737 and 757 but with narrower aisle. I've flown on 777 with 10 Y seats per row (it was EK) and did not find it terribly uncomfortable. It is however, a whole different story for 330 fitted with 9 Y seats in each row.

10 across on the 777 is still way better than 9 across on the 330. Seats arranged in 10 across on the 777 will still have the same seat width as those Y seats on 737 and 757 but with narrower aisle. I've flown on 777 with 10 Y seats per row (it was EK) and did not find it terribly uncomfortable. It is however, a whole different story for 330 fitted with 9 Y seats in each row.

That's right! EK's 777 is 17" wide compared to D7's 16.5". Interestingly KLM's 777 is 17.5" wide.

I think that 9 abreast on the A333 is OK for Asian sizes (around 1.75m tall, 80 Kg weight). But I have seen Biggest Loser candidates sit on these seats as well. So its a case of how much you can tolerate!

That's right! EK's 777 is 17" wide compared to D7's 16.5". Interestingly KLM's 777 is 17.5" wide.

Amazing how even half of an inch could mean a lot of difference.

I happen to think that the level of discomfort does vary depending on what seats you are on.

If you have a seat on the front cabin on D7's A340-300 it is actually not too bad, especially if you are able to get a seat on the row behind the hot seats. Its a different story on the A330-300 - those who are have seats in the middle of the plane will find it claustrophobic while those seated at the rear of the aircraft may find it rather pleasant.

At the end of the day, it is still up to the traveller as to whether they can tolerate the level of discomfort in relation to the amount paid for the tickets...

Sign in to follow this