MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

AirAsia X Perth Incident 2017

AirAsia X flight D7237 took off just before 7:00am (AWST) today, bound for Kuala Lumpur, but experienced a "technical issue" one-and-a-half hours into the trip.

The Airbus 330 landed back in Perth about 10:00am, with emergency services on site as a precaution.

Full report:

Air Asia plane suffers 'washing machine' fault

A passenger on board an AirAsia X plane has filmed it shaking like a "washing machine" after suffering a technical fault.

Flight D7237 was forced to turn back to Perth after taking off for Malaysia just before 07:00 local time (00:00BST) on Sunday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-asia-40397081/air-asia-plane-suffers-washing-machine-fault

It's not stated in the news, but surely the plane would not have been shaking like that for whole of the 1.5 hours back to PER ?! :shok:

If it did, how likely would it be for the airframe to be deemed structurally fatigued beyond economic repair ?!

Edited by BC Tam

I've seen images of the failed #1 engine on -XXE and can confirm it was a fan blade separation in the cruise.

People are jumping all over Air Asia on social media but I'm not sure how this can be attributed to them. On face value it looks like a clear case of fatigue on the blade and just unfortunate it happened to a D7 plane. AK/D7's image is going to take a beating in Australia as a result of this, especially after the incident involving the A333 near Ayres Rock a while back with an engine failure.

Meanwhile -XXW is currently enroute to PER as D7688 operating the rescue mission.

The damage engine windmilling inflight would be the cause of those clattering noises in the videos currently being circulated on social media too.

Just out of interest who maintains D7's RR Trents, do they have a 'pay by the hour' agreement with Rolls Royce, are they maintained by MH or even done internally? I know they do send A333 heavy maintenance to either GA at Jakarta or Lufthansa joint-venture in Manila more recently.

I've seen images of the failed #1 engine on -XXE and can confirm it was a fan blade separation in the cruise.

People are jumping all over Air Asia on social media but I'm not sure how this can be attributed to them. On face value it looks like a clear case of fatigue on the blade and just unfortunate it happened to a D7 plane. AK/D7's image is going to take a beating in Australia as a result of this, especially after the incident involving the A333 near Ayres Rock a while back with an engine failure.

Meanwhile -XXW is currently enroute to PER as D7688 operating the rescue mission.

The damage engine windmilling inflight would be the cause of those clattering noises in the videos currently being circulated on social media too.

Just out of interest who maintains D7's RR Trents, do they have a 'pay by the hour' agreement with Rolls Royce, are they maintained by MH or even done internally? I know they do send A333 heavy maintenance to either GA at Jakarta or Lufthansa joint-venture in Manila more recently.

I don't think AirAsia X has an pay by hour agreement with RR for A330ceo, yes for A330neo. For now I think it is done by MH, saw their aircraft in MH hangar several times. Heavy check, like what you have mentioned, is done at GAMCO Jakarta and occasionally Lifthansa Teknik Manila. In addition Singapore too.

On a side note seems like both Malaysia Airlines and AirAsia X have taken heavy beating for recent years.

D7 are also copping a flogging in the media as the captain allegedly asked passengers to 'pray' for a safe landing and said 'he'll be saying a prayer himself', it's all the news here.

This one is certainly going to take a while to blow over.

They have RR Totalcare for their engines:

http://www.rolls-royce.com/media/press-releases/yr-2007/airasia-x-selects-rr.aspx

https://youtu.be/nkAKFx-kc9E

Hopefully that link works courtesy of the pprune forum. The plane is violently juddering, lots of questions being asked as to why the flight crew didn't divert to Learmonth which was a lot closer.

Pilots comments over the PA are clearly audible too - CASA are investigating the incident too.

Edited by Tom/PER

LEA is where the infamous QF72 made its emergency landing also I have vague recollections of an Air Asia X flight landing there back in 2011/12 to refuel whilst enroute to Perth.

The runway is in excess of 3000m.

lots of questions being asked as to why the flight crew didn't divert to Learmonth which was a lot closer.

With 359 POB, the aircraft would probably still be very heavy and needed to burn off fuel before it achieves its max landing weight. Flying back to PER will allow them to do that. Furthermore, service recovery would probably be easier for everyone involved. As it is, D7 has already mounted the rescue flight to PER. So most pax should be able to resume their journey.

Seems most of the aussies were pointing at the pilot's poor PA standard. I thought it was just some small issue until i saw the phone videoclip.

It's not stated in the news, but surely the plane would not have been shaking like that for whole of the 1.5 hours back to PER ?! :shok:

Will D7 charge the pax for the 'massage chairs' ? :pardon: :D

On a serious note, it must be a scary and long moment for the pax onboard especially after hearing the pilot's PA.

Glad the pilot did a good job in bringing the plane back on ground safely eventually.

Edited by Kee Hooi Yen

I am sure the pilot meant well for the passengers for the "prayer" comment, in a moment of haste, he chose some 'awkward' words. Could be delivered better, what is more important, everyone is safe and sound.

I wonder if the incident has any impact on AirAsia X operation since they run on very tight operation. Any spare aircraft to nove around?

Edited by JuliusWong

D7 are also copping a flogging in the media as the captain allegedly asked passengers to 'pray' for a safe landing and said 'he'll be saying a prayer himself', it's all the news here.

do agree with you ont his as the pilot should not have said alledgedly as such as quoted by few passengers and shuld have calm down the passengers and reassure them that they should be ok instead of creating unnecessary worry for the passengers. Pilots are trained well for such situation and for an single engine out operation. But the pilot did do a good job of landing the aircraft safely without any incidents.

That's hardly reassuring.

I'm not sure what is the protocol in such situations, should a pilot "calm" the pax, or get them ready for the worst?

Better safe than sorry?

Well the fan blade off (FBO) event occurred and luckily the fan case contained the failure. You do not want a piece of engines pierce through the wings like QF32. The RR 772 fan case is made in Coventry facility. The fan cases of Trent1000 and Trent7000 will be made in Serendah, Hulu Selangor. Very huge responsibility to us, and especially myself who will sign and deliver a fan case. hopefully our fan cases will never experience a FBO event.

Didn't hear the audio yet... but what's wrong asking a prayer for a safe landing?

It is all about culture, actually. For some culture, saying a prayer is a good thing whilst in others, it is a sign of insecurity. Unfortunately, in this case, there is a clash of culture between the captain and the passengers. Nobody should be blamed.

Sign in to follow this