MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Kenneth Chong WT

An Exclusive Coverage of the Launch of 9M-MWA

Before I begin, allow me to say that more pictures of the ATR72 launch could be seen at KCH International Spotting Thread (credit given to "secret agent man" and Nick), this is merely a coverage/ report of the event which took place this afternoon.

12 of September herald a new era of air travel for the people of Sabah and Sarawak. The brand new ATR72-500, 9M-MWA made her debut at the Hornbill Skyways’ Hangar, Kuching International Airport.

I manage to get an invitation from MASwings to attend the launch of the ATR72. “It” came, one fine day, in my Inbox, the “E-Invitation”. I was so excited that I couldn’t sit still nor did I sleep well for the few days following the launch

12 of September finally came and by 2.45pm, Gilbert and I were already at Hornbill Skyway’s Hangar.

IMG_0238.jpg

9M-ATM

IMG_0240.jpg

The stage is set.

Shortly after 4pm. Our Chief Minister arrived and the event started. We had Dr. Amin Khan giving his welcoming speech and followed by a short video presentation of MASwings in the first 90 days of operation. It showcased the difficulties they had to endure to bring back reliable air passage to the rural folks in Sabah and Sarawak, from auditing the aircrafts to the launch of the website. In the video also we were shown never before seen pictures of the sad and sorry states of the aircrafts when it operated under FAX. It was a touching moment for all, and it certainly brought tears to my eyes. It was a perfect tribute to those who worked so hard to make flying RAS possible again.

This was followed by Dato’ Sri Idris Jala’s speech on his confidence in RAS and thanked everyone for the support they had shown to MAS over the years. What a humble yet magnificent character. Hats off to Dato’ Sri Idris Jala.

IMG_0243.jpg

VIP giving the speeches.

Shortly after the CM of Sarawak gave his speech, it was followed by the lauching of the ATR72. A model plane symbolically appeared from the stage and the 9M-MWA came towards us gracefully from the Cargo Area towards the Hangar. She was definitely a sight to behold. So graceful without being imposing and gleaming from the afternoon sun. She seemed almost touched and proud to be able to serve the people of the two states.

IMG_0245.jpg

The Model used for the launching.

IMG_0247.jpg

Looking so regal...

There was another "surprise" at the event...the launch of the new Uniform. The 2 male and 2 Female flight attendants came down the plane waving at us in their new attire, a pleasant surprise indeed. Later VIPs and press were then given a tour of the plane with the CM signing a plaque and pasted at the front bulkhead of the aircraft. After which we were allowed to tour it.

IMG_0257.jpg

The new Uniform, very nice...

My take on the aircraft? It reminded me of a scale down version of the A320. It came with multiple IFE screens and the lightings gave it a bright and cheery ambience. It came with 6 Business Class seats and for flight for and hour or more, refreshments will be served in a biodegradable box. I am glad that MASwings put itself out here as a “Green” airline.

Seats are comfortable enough at 31' pitch. The width is greater than those of Fokker, with armrest high and not pushing against your thigh.

Leather seats made the cabin "posh" without being overboard and certainly a nice choice of colours! ATR seemed to fit everything in her nicely. Nice and compact! Doorway and stairs was narrow but manageable, mind your head for those above 6ft. The cargo area did seemed a little small, didn't peel the rear cargo sheet to see how big it was though. But overheadbins were bigger than those on Fokker.

IMG_0250.jpg

The cargo area.

IMG_0253.jpg

Under the wing.

IMG_0255.jpg

The motive/logo on the tail...the famous leaf of "Midin/Paku".

IMG_0258.jpg

The wash basin.

IMG_0260.jpg

Gilbert was all smile. Looking very much like a Flight Attendant.

IMG_0262.jpg

Moveable Cabin divider. "C" setas are the same pitch as "Y", just that you occupy 2 seats.

IMG_0263.jpg

Seat pitch.

IMG_0265.jpg

The hidden crew seat.

IMG_0264.jpg

Not so hidden with me on it. Signed Plaque behind me.

IMG_0272.jpg

Galley

IMG_0273.jpg

Extra Galley

IMG_0274.jpg

Rear luggage/cargo area.

IMG_0268.jpg

Coffee or Tea Mr Glibert?...and NO! You may not take it with you!

(Gil in Business Class)

IMG_0280.jpg

Milo, Chic&Cheese Sandwich and Date Bars in Biodegradable Box. Nice touch!

Just as suddenly as the event started, people were leaving soon after CM left the venue. Dato' Sri Idris Jala was in the VIP room, having an Interview with CNBC. Gilbert and I decided to wait for him, and true enough, it was worth the wait as we manage to shake hands with him and he even posed for us. What a great man! "All the best to you sir!"

IMG_0278.jpg

The MAN in flesh and blood.

I hope you enjoyed this coverage and I sure hope all you out there will have the opportunity to fly this aircraft soon. Comments and suggestions are welcome. (Like what size picture best upload for this forum.)

IMG_0284.jpg

Pictures of what was in the goodie bag.

i. 1:100 ATR Model Plane

ii.ATR Cap

iii.ATR Brochure

iv.Lapel Pin

v.Coporate Pen

vi.Carboard Fan.

vii.Invitation Card

IMG_0281.jpg

Close-up of the plane.

All I can say is “thank you” to those who made this event possible for me. To "secret agent man" and Nick, nice to meet you in person, it was great knowing you and I hope you two enjoyed it as much as we did. Keep up the good work at KCH INT Thread, all the best and god bless.

IMG_0275.jpg

Until we meet again my love!

Hope you enjoy this coverage!

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Again Superb Coverage from Nick You and Gilbert.. from the landing to the ceremony.. Thank MWs KCH :good::drinks:

wow..that was fast :rofl:

the other guy (in the pix with gilbert) is LeeTZ

wow..that was fast :rofl:

the other guy (in the pix with gilbert) is LeeTZ

That was Lee...gosh I thought it was Iggy...Iggy is away...DUH!! Sorry Lee! No wonder he said he wasnt Iggy...sorry I was too excited!! I hands were shaking the whole time just now...

Again, i would add another fantabulous moment of history to my life diary, all thanx to Kenneth Chong Wei Thart, my partner in crime, when it comes to anything to do with aircraft, travel, and anything airliner. My good fren, nobody can pull a surprise as surprising as you. Told you it's worth the wait for almost half hour for Dato' Sri Idris Jala. The whole experience will not be complete without taking photos with him. Dr Amin was a bit 'sombong' lo. Where's the pic of the A330 you took near the tarmac?

Again, i would add another fantabulous moment of history to my life diary, all thanx to Kenneth Chong Wei Thart, my partner in crime, when it comes to anything to do with aircraft, travel, and anything airliner. My good fren, nobody can pull a surprise as surprising as you. Told you it's worth the wait for almost half hour for Dato' Sri Idris Jala. The whole experience will not be complete without taking photos with him. Dr Amin was a bit 'sombong' lo. Where's the pic of the A330 you took near the tarmac?

hehehe! nice leh... the airbus shot, you have to wait for Nick...hahahaha!

Bloody hell, that model is good!!!

Thanks for the coverage Kenneth! Appreciate it a lot.. :) Idris Jala looks so old now @_@

On a side note, i'm not too keen on the Male FA's uniform. Looks like those bellboys in hotels.

Edited by Walter Sim

Excellent coverage there, Kenneth! Thanks for sharing such a historical event in Borneon aviation. :clapping:

Any water cannon salute?

IMG_0257.jpg

The new Uniform, very nice...

Agree!! Much much nicer & refreshing :good: (The previous green ones looks horrible, as if with buzzing insects all over the fabric)

That's Jane (or Jayne) on the right. Encountered her on several business trips to Lahad Datu.

IMG_0278.jpg

You must be starstrucked! (Hmmm..? Was it a windy day?)

IMG_0281.jpg

Close-up of the plane.

Wooo... Risesoon/Skymarks... with spinning propellers somemore!! :D Did u get any extra leftover goodie bags? ..heh heh (I want one too!)

No water canon...dont know why!!

Yup that pretty girl is Jane...she is from Kuching. Never knew we have such pretty gals in Kuching before!!

As for the goodie bag...some press were not happy because there were not enough to go around. Cant help you there.

Not sure what the brand of the plane...but I know that it is made in Taiwan...similar to the Virgin Blue B738 that i have. Heavy too!

Envy lah.. but nevertheless.. best to the max

thanks for the fantastic coverage!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice covered Kenneth :) nice to meet you. Told you already I am not Iggy... :pardon:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12 September 2008, Your new "friend" in the sky..... launched at Hornbill hanger.

P9123035-800x600.jpg

Welcome Remarks by Managing Director MASwings, Dr. Amin Khan

P9123047-800x600.jpg

Dato Sri Idris Jala.

P9123051-800x600.jpg

Guest of Honour, YAB Pehin Sri Haji Abdul Taib Mahmud

P9123052-800x600.jpg

Official launch of the ATR72!!!!! :yahoo:

P9123054-800x600.jpg

After the official launch, MalaysianWings Aplha was taxying from Remote Bay to Hornbill hanger.

P9123058-800x600.jpg

P9123062-800x600.jpg

P9123063-800x600.jpg

The Cockpit

P9123075-800x600.jpg

P9123082-800x600.jpg

P9123078-800x600.jpg

P9123077-800x600.jpg

P9123084-800x600.jpg

P9123079-800x600.jpg

P9123066-800x600.jpg

P9123102-800x600.jpg

:drinks:

Great coverage, guys!!! Thanks!

Lovely goodie bag! Wish the model is GJ or something.... :p

IMG_0278.jpg

You must be starstrucked! (Hmmm..? Was it a windy day?)

Naah.. bad hair day, me thinks... :lol:

Ken, by any chance both of you are related? Almost identical, i might say... :)

Excellent coverage with great pictures that tell the story.

I must agree, in person Idris Jala is nice guy who would flash a smile to people around him. Met him on 2 occasions i.e. Firefly's inaugural flight and CIMB-MAS Platinum credit card launching ceremony.

From my experience, people at the very top of an organization are usually nice people. Only those lower managers... some of them are a bit stuck up.

wow ........... wow :clapping: :clapping: , awesome coverage guys :clapping: , wat a nice event , got free model summore :p ....... ahmoi nice :D

Ken, by any chance both of you are related? Almost identical, i might say... :)

Looking at the picture & come to think of it. I was about to ask the question too :lol:

Oh ya, Kenneth, did you ask IJ why the colorful seats in the B734 & A330? :D

Yup, knew about the new cabin crew uniform when they do one day video shooting at mas hangar 1 under the rain gether gether beside FYB which FY also want to do photo shooting last week.

NICE VIDEO THERE NICK!! FUIYOH SEMPAT LAGI!! :good:

To tell you the truth, I had a hard time yesterday taking in everything, I was nervous and excited all in one!

Lee, Nick, Gilbert and I, we had a great time exploring the plane. I even hid in the toilet cos so many people wanted to board and disembark at the same time...after the cockpit shot, Lee and I climbed down the portable stairs attached to the front cargo area...just to get out of the way...

Hey Sung, you were right...the front cargo area didnt look so big...how about the rear?? I notice no door...just a plastic sheet? Not like the fokker hor?

I was starstruck when I posed with Dato Idris...the cat got my tongue!!! He was busy also, right after an interview so we didnt keep him long...he had to fly back to KL. SO we didnt ask any question....sorry....

To all those who viewed this Report and Coverage...and those who replied...thank you and hope you all enjoyed it!! ^_^

Edited by Kenneth Chong WT

Sign in to follow this